List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple. They back end a longer deal. Even if they dont, they are desperate for quality half backs and 600k is less than what they can individually offer Hopper or Taranto.

If it was as simple as back ending deals then Hopper and Taranto are both younger than Short, and GWS have said they wanted to keep Taranto in particular, so surely they would have done that for him?

My reading of the situation is Giants might take on a decent wage for a desperate need like a strong key forward, but this is much much less likely for a running player like Short.

I'd be open to trading Short also, but as others have said. It's unlikely based on his contract.

Needs to find his role.
People rave about his kicking and metres gained, but he turns it over a lot because he often just blazes away.

Maybe he could transform himself into a tagger that can hurt teams on the way back with his penetrative kicking.
He’s a very popular character around the club, pretty close with the likes of Bakes and Graham, recently Lambert mentioned him in his farewell speech as a great friend and clubman.
Some guy’s bring a lot off field that can’t be replaced

Re his form, looked really good when moved to the midfield but then fell off the cliff in the 2nd half of the season. But it’s easy to forget what an offensive weapon he can be when up and running.

And a Jack Dyer medalist.

Last edited:

Twomey is not taking into account the salary dump that GWS have to execute.

In a normal trade scenario he would be on the money, but there is a cost to clubs in moving players because of salary cap restrictions and that cost is generally borne out on the trade table.
Great point 👍
On trading next year’s first Personally hope we can somehow hang onto it. Seems it might be difficult though, being a strong draft GWS will be all over it like a rash. I think we are very fair at the trade table, tend not to do an Essendon and screw over clubs.

Well its just my shitty opinion like everyone else's - but trading in TWO mids from the same 16th placed team & expecting them to rise you from 7th to 1st seems a bit ambitious.

Also, what the * happened to Tom Green? Were we not getting Tom Green? His Grandpa played for Richmond, donchyano? Or is our midfield plan to recreate the powerhouse midfield which was the 16th placed Giants?
We took Prestia from the 15th placed Suns and Lynch from them after they finished 17th. What a garbage argument.

Just had a look at the stats for both Taranto and hopper ,,,will be just what the dr ordered for us , both huge in contested and clearances ,,,especially hopper with clearance , TT no slouch either , numbers only tapered with more HFF time
Be great watching the ball go fwd from the centre rather than our HBF.

Great point 👍
On trading next year’s first Personally hope we can somehow hang onto it. Seems it might be difficult though, being a strong draft GWS will be all over it like a rash. I think we are very fair at the trade table, tend not to do an Essendon and screw over clubs.
The trades for Taranto will also be devalued, so I see us giving giving 12 & 30 for him and next years 1st for Hopper with the possibility of adding a 2nd rnd pick if we can get back into the 1st rnd.

Pick 19 could well be traded for a 1st next year if a club sees a slider going into the 2nd round.

Cal Twomeys take on SEN

Re 2023 draft it’s looking like being a doozy , clubs looking at trading out of this year’s into nexts

Tigers

Hopper- next year R1 and Soldo not enough . Because we are likely top 4 and Hopper is a FA next year so would net them a top 10 pick under compensation rules ( GWS likely to be bottom half ladder)
What Cal fails too understand.They need hopper of their books this year.
So when push comes to shove they will accept F1 & Soldo.

How dangerous our forward 6 with the 6-6-6 rule? Ball coming straight out of the guts to Lynch (likely double teamed), Bolton/Cumberland/Dusty/Rioli will have a field day
At some points during the game i hate to be one of our mids.Who too pick?
Dusty to back left
Lynch in the square
Jack back right
Bolton short left
And if you spoil you have Mrj buzzing around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Those loking to trade Short have got rocks in their head...

He easily can move to a wing and replace KMac. For all his good running and pressure, he doesn't offer a lot more, short would be a lot more valuable than Kmac on a wing.

And personally, I'd like to see Dusty play nearly permanently forward, with mayb 5 min spells in the middle. If we have TT, Hopper, Prestia, Sonsie, Cotchin, Bolton going through there most of the time, we don't necessarily need him.

And personally, I would think Graham would have value on the trade table, and I'm not sure he brings enough to a mid rotation if we secure both GWS boys. Only issue with that will be that Dimma is still besotted with him playing though that 2019 prelim with a busted shoulder and still thinks we owe him.

Thing is, Short has proven himself as an elite half back, Best and Fairest in a premiership year.

The fact that he was given midfield minutes is a actually credit to him as opposed to a knock

He needs to go back to half back, and with TT and JH coming in, this will happen, making the team stronger again.

Cal Twomeys take on SEN

Re 2023 draft it’s looking like being a doozy , clubs looking at trading out of this year’s into nexts

Tigers

Hopper- next year R1 and Soldo not enough . Because we are likely top 4 and Hopper is a FA next year so would net them a top 10 pick under compensation rules ( GWS likely to be bottom half ladder)

Other stuff
Lloyd Meek - WCST, Demons interested.
Hunter Clarke- Trade target for clubs.
Ben Lloyd
Tanner Bruhn- Cats looking front runner over Hawks
Hopper won't get enough to warrant first round compo. It would be end of first round compo, so our first next year should be enough.

Twomey's trade mail is a bit off there. Tanner Bruhn is definitely going to Hawthorn.

Posted it on the cats board. They started saying Hopper was s**t and Taranto is ‘decent’ and our salary cap is *ed. For some reason they think we will pay two first rounders for Hopper. Typical melts, love it 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I agree with them but we will not be paying two firsts for Hopper.

I think they are happy not to compete for Hopper with salary because they realise we have gone in too deepand it could end up with us having egg on our faces.

Hopper is not shit, but he is not a game changer either

Well its just my shitty opinion like everyone else's - but trading in TWO mids from the same 16th placed team & expecting them to rise you from 7th to 1st seems a bit ambitious.

Also, what the * happened to Tom Green? Were we not getting Tom Green? His Grandpa played for Richmond, donchyano? Or is our midfield plan to recreate the powerhouse midfield which was the 16th placed Giants?
Bro, sometimes I really enjoy your intel but other times you really are a glass half full campaigner

Last edited:
Thing is, Short has proven himself as an elite half back, Best and Fairest in a premiership year.

The fact that he was given midfield minutes is a actually credit to him as opposed to a knock

He needs to go back to half back, and with TT and JH coming in, this will happen, making the team stronger again.
Correct. Might see Baker play elsewhere or short to wing.

You don’t trade Shorty.

Dusty going nowhere... you never know, he might even renegotiate his contract to spread the payments so that we can fit both these guys in...😉
Imagine that, this be Sam Mclure

1662593324546.gif

I must have watched a few of his bad games then....
He definitely deserves another year
He has afl attributes, just needs more development
Hopefully truck comes back as defensive coach
And takes gibcus, balta, and biggy to a new level

Whilst Lyon Garry and the other "pundits" lose their marbles at "how Richmond could possibly afford Taranto and Hopper" and feign mock incredulity, this guy gets it. It's called quality list management:

(Apologies if already posted)

I guess when you consider since our last major acquisition of Lynch post 2018 season, we have cleared from our ledger Rance, Grigg, Butler, Higgins, B Ellis, Chol, Coleman-Jones, Astbury, Houli, Caddy, Edwards and Lambert, and Cotchin and Riewoldt having major discounts, and aside from Tarrant coming in, replaced all of those who departed with draftees…even allowing for Graham, Vlastuin, Drioli, Short, Baker, Balta, Bolton, Pickett, Soldo being paid more, there just has to be a bit of cash sloshing around there somewhere.

So it does make some sense there is up to a couple of mill in cap space to play with, and with Cotch Jack Tarrant Grimes probably dropping off next year and Dusty’s big contract and Prestia ending the year after and Lynch the year after that you can see where the cap space is coming from to reward the current young crop as they develop as well.

If this all goes fairly smoothly for the club you would have to say that is an astonishing achievement in recruitment, drafting and overall list management. Meanwhile some others have sold the farm trying to keep up with us, especially Eagles, GWS, Cats, Pies and possibly(hopefully) Blues. 😍

100%. Short needs to go back to the backline. Did a decent job when thrown into the middle but definitely faded. He's an elite half back and we'll be better off with him back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back