List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree completely.

Started to rack up 30 touches end of the year. Likely to be a half decent player for someone IMHO. But noway will he compete with Taranto or Hopper. He's now toast, if we get those 2. Especially with Sonz and Banks coming in. Ross playing well. Just doesn't fit any more.

Absolute BS, RCD can play on a wing, Ross struggles outside

You took out Tarrant to put in Short, that's what.

If Balta's on Cameron, who's on Hawkins? If Grimes is, who's on Stengle? Who's on Rohan? Who's on the resting Dangerfield? Who's Short on?
We don't need Tarrant if Balta is returned to the backline, Grimes is fit and Gibcus keeps improving. I tossed up between Gibcus or Tarrant not Short or Tarrant.

Who took them all in the 2020 Grand final? Who did he play on when he won the BnF? Balta or Grimes can take Cameron or Hawkins, Rioli/Stengle, Vlastuin/Rohan, Broad/Danger, Short/whoever is left over. But that's not how modern footy works is it? No teams go fully one-on-one match ups. It's a team defence and most good teams have an elite outside half back distributor.....

Thank * we have Blair in charge of our list management as opposed to people who would trade short.

Blair and Dimma could face the sack in the next few years.

It will be interesting if going forward they are simply referred to as Dusty jockey's riding on his coat tails

There are pros and cons for both of these together. It is not all happy days for everybody as some seem to make out. If anything, Dimma is saying we can't develop so we are trading them in.

I feel a development coach like Mcrae are worth there weight in gold because even when not contending your still winning and it helps other coaches engage as well as making the recruiting team feel inclusive especially on draft night

Also, on another matter: I would love to know how it transpired that Mick Warner got replaced by Mark Robinson on 3AW’s Friday night footy coverage.
His book might have something to do with it. We all know how well the AFL handle criticism.

What was your opinion on the Prestia trade, 24 when he was traded to Richmond?
Not disimaly to that of McMahon or Yarran tbh . Thought we overpaid given evidence that was available . Prestia due to injuries and his ability to ply long term . Premiership justifies getting Prestia no doubt , which I am happen to admit .
I was keen on Clarke and Brodie last year .
What about yarran or McMahon what was your position on them ?

Short won't be traded but he cannot play wing in the Richmond system - you have to be strong one-on-one and in the air and often have to do battle outnumbered. KMac was top-5 in the B&F last year and will do well again this year, you are not only underrating him, you're insulting him.

Graham is a key player who will benefit enormously from sliding down the batting order. If he'd been fit to play last Thursday he could have cooled Neale somewhat. He's a defensive outside mid who runs all day and contributes offensively. I'd be gobsmacked if we put him up for trade.

Who are you moving from defence to fit him back there though? Not Rioli. It's Baker's best spot too. Squeeze is on.

Pick 19 is as good as end of first round.

We won't trade Short for a number of reasons. But he can't play wing. And I'm not sure where else Baker can play consistently if not defence.

Short went back to the backline a couple of times this year, like in the first half of the MCG game against Brisbane, when Linc McCarthy tore him a new one.

Outside mid, high-half-forward is Short's new position, I think. He had to learn on the job this year and did pretty well mostly. But with the new boys coming in he'll be competing with Sonz. Interesting times ahead. He'll be at Richmond in 2023 but not sure he'll always be in the ones.
Problem is paying him $500 000- $600 000

Absolute BS, RCD can play on a wing, Ross struggles outside
What exactly are you basing that off?

Ross’s final games of the season and his best in his career comprised of a majority outside role

Blair and Dimma could face the sack in the next few years.

It will be interesting if going forward they are simply referred to as Dusty jockey's riding on his coat tails
Who would refer them as that?

So you’re discrediting all the success we’ve had from them and putting it solely on our top tier players?

Ridiculous and insulting take mate

We don't need Tarrant if Balta is returned to the backline, Grimes is fit and Gibcus keeps improving. I tossed up between Gibcus or Tarrant not Short or Tarrant.

Who took them all in the 2020 Grand final? Who did he play on when he won the BnF? Balta or Grimes can take Cameron or Hawkins, Rioli/Stengle, Vlastuin/Rohan, Broad/Danger, Short/whoever is left over. But that's not how modern footy works is it? No teams go fully one-on-one match ups. It's a team defence and most good teams have an elite outside half back distributor.....
In the 2020 grand final we had Astbury and they didn't have Cameron.

You are weakening our defence to accommodate our weakest defender.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Latest trade I've heard is:

Pick 12 + 19 + next year's 1st + Soldo + RCD
for
Taranto + Hopper + pick coming back

That seems pretty steep price from our end if true

I'd do it. RCD likely delisted anyway. What's Soldo worth? 2nd rounder at best. Have to remember these picks get pushed back a few with father sons and priority picks aswell. Basically 2 x 1sts and 2 x 2nds.

I am little worried with the ruck depth if Soldo goes.

Latest trade I've heard is:

Pick 12 + 19 + next year's 1st + Soldo + RCD
for
Taranto + Hopper + pick coming back

That seems pretty steep price from our end if true

Actually think that’s a win for RFC.

If we do land Hopper and Taranto it won’t be without paying a steep price.

Yes GWS are required to shed salary, but they have both made an offer to Taranto and still have Hopper under contract. They have a plan to keep them both. It makes it easier on their salary cap roll undoubtedly; but they aren’t pushing them out the door like Collingwood has and is for Treloar and Grundy. GWS’ salary cap as a factor of the potential trade deal is overblown by fans IMO.

If we are able to move RCD and Soldo in the deal it would firstly free up additional money (not much you’d suspect but some) and almost more importantly, open up the list spots which we are quite tight on.

I’d be very surprised if we land Hopper and Taranto and don’t give up 2x FRP + 19 AND get nothing back. If a trade to another club was for Bolton + Short, what would our expectations be?

Who would refer them as that?

So you’re discrediting all the success we’ve had from them and putting it solely on our top tier players?

Ridiculous and insulting take mate

Nah I am putting it on Plough, Francis Jackson, Clarke especially when Townsend was all due to a injury from Griffiths.

Remember if Griffiths does not get injured we probably do not win the 2017 premiership.

Here is another thought, if Dimma got sacked in 2016, would we have still won the premiership in 2017?

Remember, Rance, Cotch JR arrived before Dimma.

Dimma was a architect but the base was in place. It is not as if Mcrae and Leppa was duds. Mark Williams was helping Dusty to intially, he has/is well proven

No one is saying Dimma is a dud, but certain situations does not make him a god either.

Put it this way, if Dimma did not rely on trades and developed Banks, Brown and others if not RCD and got some value plays that would be far more impressive.

It has been a while since we picked up a value trade like Grigg, Houli, Nank

Last edited:
Like him too, but from the post i replied to the question everyone is asking is where does he play?
Outside mid between the arks mainly playing off the back of the square and stoppages as what you would call the “sweeper role”

His clearance numbers , our clubs biggest issue , are behind Cotchin and prestia . who most would admit the curtain is closing upon quickly.

Cotchin had a CBA % of 74 this year. Our highest, even more than Nank.
Prestia had 65%, which is a bit skewed due to being subbed out multiple times (R1 - 24%, R15 - 10% & EF - 46%).

Taranto on the other hand only managed 44% a game at GWS, Hopper 52%.
Now not all clearances are centre clearances, but his numbers will definitely be going up as part of our midfield.

f Ross is going so great, why get Hopper??

What is the proposed salary of Hopper?? What is Ross on?
Because as a pure inside mid Hopper is better by a substantial margin (all Australian squad last year) combined with Cotchin and Prestia entering the twilight of their respective careers Ross alone won’t be enough to replace them

Plenty of room for both

Actually think that’s a win for RFC.

If we do land Hopper and Taranto it won’t be without paying a steep price.

Yes GWS are required to shed salary, but they have both made an offer to Taranto and still have Hopper under contract. They have a plan to keep them both. It makes it easier on their salary cap roll undoubtedly; but they aren’t pushing them out the door like Collingwood has and is for Treloar and Grundy. GWS’ salary cap as a factor of the potential trade deal is overblown by fans IMO.

If we are able to move RCD and Soldo in the deal it would firstly free up additional money (not much you’d suspect but some) and almost more importantly, open up the list spots which we are quite tight on.

I’d be very surprised if we land Hopper and Taranto and don’t give up 2x FRP + 19 AND get nothing back. If a trade to another club was for Bolton + Short, what would our expectations be?
You have to ask yourself why are these players (TT & Hopper) on the trade table anyway?

If Bolton and Short were up for trade then I would say that our list managers have ****ed things up completely. Same as Treloar, Stephensen, Phillips & Grundy

Not disimaly to that of McMahon or Yarran tbh . Thought we overpaid given evidence that was available . Prestia due to injuries and his ability to ply long term . Premiership justifies getting Prestia no doubt , which I am happen to admit .
I was keen on Clarke and Brodie last year .
What about yarran or McMahon what was your position on them ?
That was not the only reason, you also didnt rate him. Tell the full story ya little grubby grub.

You got Prestia wrong on all angles and you are just as wrong about these 2 guns.

Get back in the corner, I will let you know when you come out again.

Because as a pure inside mid Hopper is better by a substantial margin (all Australian squad last year) combined with Cotchin and Prestia entering the twilight of their respective careers Ross alone won’t be enough to replace them

Plenty of room for both

Ross has not made it yet.

Making AA these days is virtually meaningless. It just means your not a dud and have value. Others wanted to jack your value to get AA in a particular year or to

You have to ask yourself why are these players (TT & Hopper) on the trade table anyway?

If Bolton and Short were up for trade then I would say that our list managers have *ed things up completely. Same as Treloar, Stephensen, Phillips & Grundy
Its public knowledge, GWS ****ed their cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back