List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geelong telegraphing their intentions well out from the draft.

What's to stop a team grabbing this bloke at Picks #4, #5 or #6 if he's that good? I mean, anyone would want "the next Joel Selwood", wouldn't they?
I reckon they had first hand knowledge of gc situation I bet Bowes didn’t even meet up with norf hawks and druggies it was Geelong all the way

Agree they have picked up bargains, but I don’t think they have improved the overall position of the list
They picked up a half back flanker who isn’t getting games and A decent forward prospect

Pick 7 is nice but the pick also needs to produce in order to be a win, they also traded another young midfielder who was a former first round selection

So just going over it they might of marginally improved the long term outlook of the list but none nothing to assess any real problems

I’m not all convinced of the cats carry on , there’s genuine questions on every one of those recruits ability to step up and be impactful at AFL , Henry I think will be a fine player ,the others need to improve plenty to rise above role player standard , certainly not close to rising star noms yet
Yeah, got in three young players but needed to exit Cooper Stephens, another young kid, to make it happen.

Some pretty ruthless decisions by them. Prefer our culture at this stage.

It stretches credibility that Cats get a 10/10 rating. They brought in fringe players for crying out loud lol. Sure, they also brought in pick 7, in a deal that shouldn’t have been approved by the AFL because IMO it damages the integrity of the competition, but even then, there’s no guarantee their pick in the draft will be any good.
In contrast we have brought in two guns and shored up our major deficiency in one go, without losing any of our players. The pro Geelong bias and anti Richmond sentiment within the AFL media industry is blatantly obvious.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It’s not that we missed out on our targets but the Cats one of our most dangerous opponents has been able to totally refresh there list without giving up much draft capital or TPP and will be able to attack both this and next years drafts in which we have very little ammunition.

It is fair to say what Geelong has been able to do to Gold Coast over the last four years or so has bene unimaginable!!

No other club just, Geelong although Freo where big winners with Gold Coast to

I reckon they had first hand knowledge of gc situation I bet Bowes didn’t even meet up with norf hawks and druggies it was Geelong all the way
The whole thing was a sham. Geesook had this set up months out and the other club tours were just for show. Judd did the same thing but was never going anywhere but Carlscum.

Moron is complaining that his team were being tight campaigners, trying to win the trade in true Dodorro fashion which meant a last minute deal. We told Giants a month ago that our 5 picks are on the table and thats the best we can offer. You can ask questions of our players and if they wish to leave we can accomodate that otherwise the best we can offer is these 5 picks.

Thats the difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watch his games from the start of the year. Was being tossed around like a child.

Thats for proving my point. Minus Sinclair who was finished this season all those guys are ******* useless. Campbell the best of the lot has played 56 AFL games in 10 years as a 21 year old recruit. At best you could argue he has broken even with those guys. I wouldn't call any of those guys dominant ruck, the fact Downie was AA ruck tells me everything I need to know. Feel sorry for Williamstown going from Nick Messe to him and Im sure there supporters do too.

The closest AFL standard ruck and back up at that was Andrew Phillips who he managed 10 hitouts against. The step up from Phillips to good AFL ruckmen is massive. He lost the hit out battle and gave away 7 free kicks to Majak Daw... you get the point.

You’ve made a big step down here from claiming:

"So far he has struggled massively against any decent ruck at VFL level”

To now claiming many of the better VFL rucks are no good.

The games you have quoted include the one against Melbourne where Ryan played well beside the free kicks against, which is all part of learning for a 21yo v a 30yo. Ryan had 15 disposals and 44 hitouts in that match. Daw had 11 disposals and 31 hitouts. He wasn’t totally dominated by Phillips either, another 30 odd yo., Phillips has only had 23 hitouts and 14 disposals in that. Ryan scored 1.2 in that game so was clearly forward at times.

I am happy to stick with my statement that you have challenged here - that Ryan definitely DID NOT struggle massively with any decent VFL ruck. He was at least competitive in every game and if he had 1-2 off games it can always be down to copping a knock. No ruckman has totally dominated Ryan, that is the way I recall it and the stats seem to bear that out.

For a 21yo 2 years in the system who was a low 40’s pick in a weak draft, I can’t see how the club would be anything other than very comfortable with Ryan’s development. He should only get much better and is 2-3 years off entering his prime as a ruckman, and they tend to improve all the way up to and sometimes past 30 years of age. Not sure how many rucks his age or younger are tracking better than him on the AFL scene. Jackson, and…?

Last edited:
It stretches credibility that Cats get a 10/10 rating. They brought in fringe players for crying out loud lol. Sure, they also brought in pick 7, in a deal that shouldn’t have been approved by the AFL because IMO it damages the integrity of the competition, but even then, there’s no guarantee their pick in the draft will be any good.
In contrast we have brought in two guns and shored up our major deficiency in one go, without losing any of our players. The pro Geelong bias and anti Richmond sentiment within the AFL media industry is blatantly obvious.

I like it, we need the chip on our shoulder. It will make us hungry. We need to get hungry again

Geelong have clearly played their hand very well and should be congratulated for the outstanding work done by their recruiters. While I think we have also done well Geelong have held their nerve and picked up some bargains. Our recruiting team could learn some lessons on how to negotiate and still achieve your goals

Whilst Geelong have had a great trade period, it was really only on the back of dumb luck, not skill.

They gave up pick #18 for Bruhn who was a Geelong local … remember his death stare when GWS drafted him? So a fair deal based on dumb luck.

Then Henry sooked up at the Pies and wanted to play with his brother and also go back home to Geelong. It’s pretty easy when there’s 1 x team in Geelong to choose from. They gave up their pick #16 from 2 years ago and Pick #25. So they haven’t got a steal by any stretch. And again, nothing but dumb luck.

And Jack Bowes … Cats could afford his contract and the other choices were Hawks (ahem) and Bombers (double ahem) …. what a world class field that was. We saw what happened when players have a real choice (Hopper ). Bowes didn’t really have a decision to make. It was the racist and rebuilding rabble, the homophobic/abortion averting rabble or the Cats.

And the Cats get pick #7 because GC are so incompetent.

So yes, they’ve done exceptionally well. But it was 2 x local kids wanting to go home and Jack Bowes +#7. And they didn’t hold their nerve on Henry at all, they caved on their offer of #25 like a toddler’s parent at the Coles checkout by throwing in #16 Cooper Stephens.

The end results were great, but I don’t think it took any actual skill, strategy or long-term planning when the 2 key trades are Geelong locals wanting to come home …. with 1 team to choose from…..

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Trading out Gunston, OMeara and Mitchell and didn't Bruest retire. Wow
Did they get back any future picks?
They are going to be worse than North, they are definitely diving for the bottom. Ouch
Didn’t retire, but probably wishes he did, given the club has just pulled any competitiveness out from under him.

Bet he had no idea that was coming.

Geelong has been 10/10 for the last five years.

They have consistently been the best traders especially with Gold Coast.

Why are they so special??

At the time Dylan Shiel was rated a demi god whereas as Taranto and Hopper need to work on things.
yeah he was fresh from being bitched by chimp and arseberry 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back