List Mgmt. Trade & Free Agency talk Pt 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember the shit canning of the Bombers last year paying $800K to McKay, a very very good KPD who has had a brilliant year, and peeps here, want to pay a small forward the same money, duuuuuuudes get off the happy gas.

EDIT: heck me, thats more than we pay TT and Hopper and peeps cry about that everyday. You have upset me and its too early for this shit.

I remember the shit canning of the Bombers last year paying $800K to McKay, a very very good KPD who has had a brilliant year, and peeps here, want to pay a small forward the same money, duuuuuuudes get off the happy gas.

EDIT: heck me, thats more than we pay TT and Hopper and peeps cry about that everyday. You have upset me and its too early for this shit.
I'd say Ben McKay is a good KPD, he is not very very good.

Not many of the players you’ve listed from other teams were brought in with the thought they were not best-18. And contending teams are different to rebuilding / regenerating teams.

North are a case in point … a rebuilding club who’ve secured fringey type / C-grade players galore over the last 5-years. Greenwood, Shiels in their midfield as an example … these guys are one of the reasons Philips hasn’t been playing and developing every week for the last 4-years. Over the last few years fringey players like this have gotten games ahead of Philips / Powell / Lazarro etc… and for what?

We already can’t give the likes of Sonsie any midfield time … and that’s with Hopper and Ross injured. So assuming we add at least 1 x elite midfielder in the draft, what then? Sonsie potentially gets shunted to a HFF for another season, because I’m pretty certain Philips is a pure midfielder.

And Philips isn’t free. He was a pick-3. We’d need to facilitate a trade using a late 2nd or thereabouts … we got McAuliffe at 40….

Anyway … I’d avoid Philips and focus on other positional needs and the draft. This is not to say Philips won’t turn into a decent AFL player .. but decent midfielders don’t win you finals.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think there is only one simple question the club has to ask here. Is taking a punt on Phillips(a potentially good inside mid - or bust, or relief inside mid) worth what we would be asked to pay for him. McAuliffe, Sonsie, Dow, Ross may not constitute good enough irons in fires for us if we are seeking a potentially good inside mid.

Though I have to admit, if the club looks at Phillips and believes he is not potentially a better inside mid than those players, it would be pointless trying to recruit him. I think Dow will be released, Ross will play wing, McAuliffe will need about 3 years building his tank and his game, and full time inside mid may not be Sonsie's ultimate role in our team. So from where I sit we very much need a player with Phillips' profile. It is just a question of whether he is the right version. North recruiting Shiels and Greenwood and a load of other players who have struggled is not really relevant to that question for us. Philips is not fully exposed like many of those guys were.

Yes yes and yes
Depending on cost of contract
He is unrestricted free agent

If Cats have offered him $650k then also offer $650k. If he truly doesn't rate living in Geelong, he will choose us over them.

Then you are at the mercy of what other clubs offer and how Stengle rates those clubs. But $800k is too much imo.

Idk about this Stengel talk, why do I have the feeling he’ll turn to crap if he comes to us. Our players usually play better at other clubs when they’ve left.
Not sure if you can count Stengle as one of those who left us and became a better player at another club, what with the Crows in between and all.

I feel we’re a bit like George Costanza when his ex Susan became a lesbian arguing that there was a bloke she dated in between her and him.

“I didn’t turn her!”

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Upgrade to 3 top 20 picks thanks.

1 mid/fwd, 1 KPF, 1 inside mid
Nicolas Cage Wink GIF

I think there is only one simple question the club has to ask here. Is taking a punt on Phillips(a potentially good inside mid - or bust, or relief inside mid) worth what we would be asked to pay for him. McAuliffe, Sonsie, Dow, Ross may not constitute good enough irons in fires for us if we are seeking a potentially good inside mid.

Though I have to admit, if the club looks at Phillips and believes he is not potentially a better inside mid than those players, it would be pointless trying to recruit him. I think Dow will be released, Ross will play wing, McAuliffe will need about 3 years building his tank and his game, and full time inside mid may not be Sonsie's ultimate role in our team. So from where I sit we very much need a player with Phillips' profile. It is just a question of whether he is the right version. North recruiting Shiels and Greenwood and a load of other players who have struggled is not really relevant to that question for us. Philips is not fully exposed like many of those guys were.
released as in sacked?

I don't really recall Phillips playing but on selectors form Dow will get another contract.

Is Stengel close to kick 30-50 goals again?

I rate winning games
Stengle is a great player and an upgrade on JGTI if he were to leave. I noticed Stengle even went into the middle a bit in the game vs us.

As far as $ go.

it doesn't seem like there's any FA KPFs around but might want to wait and see what Lynch is like, this season.

Last edited:
released as in sacked?

I don't really recall Phillips playing but on selectors form Dow will get another contract.
Dow > Phillips. If Dow gets released we better not replace with Phillips. That would be very stiff

Stengle is a great player and an upgrade on JGTI if he were to leave. I noticed Stengle even went into the middle a bit in the game vs us.

As far a $ go.

it doesn't seem like there's any FA KPFs around but might want to wait and see what Lynch is like, this season.

Stengle plays an entirely different role to Graham. Stengle is a near goal forward who kicks goals. Graham is a high pressure act high half forward who rarely ventures near goal.

Stengle plays an entirely different role to Graham. Stengle is a near goal forward who kicks goals. Graham is a high pressure act high half forward who rarely ventures near goal.
Based on our current team stengle would probably push Cumbo out and signal the death of him ever becoming a best 22 player for us

Yes I think Dow is a reasonable chance to be delisted. Probably not but I would be surprised if the club has him pencilled into its future midfield based on his current trajectory.

Have to wait and see

Dow: uninjured & getting selected every week is his current trajectory.

A break out season. Selectors love him.

Prestia and other fringe players will be out the door before Dow.

Maybe bring in Phillips. Haven't seen him so can't compare to Dow.

Have to wait and see

Dow: uninjured & getting selected every week is his current trajectory.

A break out season. Selectors love him.

Prestia and other fringe players will be out the door before Dow.

Maybe bring in Phillips. Haven't seen him so can't compare to Dow.
I’m still not sure re Dow
I am a fan and think he is still a decent prospect but I’m unsure if he makes it long term either, especially under different injury conditions and the potential of some top end draft talent joining the club over the next few years

Could potentially push him out of the best 22

But in saying that I wouldn’t be upset if he was given two or so years either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back