Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There’s time for others to prove themselves but Jagga’s current CV is probably better than anyone else’s. Vic Metro Champion, Captain of All Australian team, 50 disposal Coates game, VFL game plus 30 disposals. I mean, not sure what else he needs to do.
If we’re talking CV then Finn O’Sullivan is as good as it gets before coming into this years injury riddled year.

2022-Under 16’s vic country captain, MVP, Kevin Sheehan medal, all Australian
2023- (bottom age)Under 18’s Coates team of the year, Champs all-Australian

Also speaking of bottom age achievements. Sid Draper had a massive 2023 tournament as a bottom ager.

“Powerful midfielder/forward with dazzling speed and an elite work rate which enables him to get to lots of contests and influence the play. A bottom-aged player, he was a real shining light for South Australia, averaging 24.8 disposals, 12 contested possessions and 3.8 tackles per game. Was in his side’s best players in all four matches and won South Australia’s MVP award.”

If we’re talking CV then Finn O’Sullivan is as good as it gets before coming into this years injury riddled year.

Also speaking of bottom age achievements. Sid Draper had a massive 2023 tournament as a bottom ager.

“Powerful midfielder/forward with dazzling speed and an elite work rate which enables him to get to lots of contests and influence the play. A bottom-aged player, he was a real shining light for South Australia, averaging 24.8 disposals, 12 contested possessions and 3.8 tackles per game. Was in his side’s best players in all four matches and won South Australia’s MVP award.”
Great points, but at age 16-18, a lot can change. We see it every year, the under agers talked up as the next big thing, then half don't ever even get drafted.

How are they rated compared to Caddy, Cadman, Amiss?

Not sure.

Caddy was all athleticism. Bit short if I remember properly. He's shown he can play AFL. Bit of a risk, so like a few this year.
Cadman was always likely. Not sure anyone this year is yet in that class.
Amiss was similar to some this year in that he was a lead mark kick player, with limited other tools. So not the clear complete top level player. Like a lot this year.

I am definitely no expert, but the draft gurus are saying that quite a few talls are coming through.

I forgot to say Trainor is elite this year. Tall KPD. Weakness against 200cm KPFs, but otherwise elite.

we just need to focus on getting draft picks in this years top 8 I think, it is that simple, amybe one or two after

I don't agree. This year has 30+ genuine top 20 quality players. So the top 5 or 8 are above. But after that more is good to fill out a quality portfolio of players. The cost of top 8 picks may be much higher than the opportunity for good players with fewer lower picks.

This year is a "super draft for depth" according to Cal Twomey. The top end is very good but not super draft quality. Sopicsk from say 15 to 30 are very good to have.

There’s time for others to prove themselves but Jagga’s current CV is probably better than anyone else’s. Vic Metro Champion, Captain of All Australian team, 50 disposal Coates game, VFL game plus 30 disposals. I mean, not sure what else he needs to do.

I reckon if he is 20m sprint time is right up there, its hard to see him not being no 1 now, unless his frame is considered unlikely to add any size.
Depends if you think pick 1 should be used as a reward for the kid who had the best year, or to get the team the best future player.

His kicking appears neat without being penetrating?
Correct.

Draft year CV

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You cant draft based on potential alone mate.
Everyone is drafted on potential. This idea that FOS being injured this year somehow dilutes what he had already showed, namely being one of the best 6-7 under-18 players in the country last year, is absurd.

Depends if you think pick 1 should be used as a reward for the kid who had the best year, or to get the team the best future player.

Correct.
I'd say it's a combination of the 2 with more weight being given to those who have had sustained performances across the period from U16s through to their draft year, over a kid who explodes from nowhere in 1 year.

Everyone is drafted on potential. This idea that FOS being injured this year somehow dilutes what he had already showed, namely being one of the best 6-7 under-18 players in the country last year, is absurd.
They are drafted based on what they are and what they can become IMO.

Of course it does, plenty of kids go backwards and even more explode later, its naive to think they dont.

I'd say it's a combination of the 2 with more weight being given to those who have had sustained performances across the period from U16s through to their draft year, over a kid who explodes from nowhere in 1 year.
Thats what I said.

There might not be a Harley Reid in this draft, but if we can find another top 10 pick, I would prefer a Sheezel / Wardlaw or Butters / Rozee combo.

These 2 combos have it all, and I would take either over 1 Harley Reid.

Last edited:
Did Lalor play at the weekend?

My current preferences for our first pick, in order...

Jagga Smith
Harvey Langford
Sam Lalor

I reckon Langford just has that look about him, that he will be a very solid AFL player. We might not be getting an absolute superstar with him like Harley Reid or a certain D. Martin, but we'll be getting someone tough and with size and who can find the footy.

There might not be a Harley Reid in this draft, but if we can find another top 10 pick, I would prefer a for Sheezel / Wardlaw or Butters / Rozee combo.

These 2 combos have it all, and I would take either over 1 Harley Reid.
Can't really see a way to get one without giving up Dan Rioli.

Maybe a trade down with GC but those picks are not going to be great. Probably 9 & 12 before a Battle compo.

Its been shit that 2 of the top prospects have missed huge chunks of the year in FOS/Lalor plus Draper was fresh back when Champs hit. We've been dudded a bit in this respect.

The below video of Lalor is from last year and had more of a burst of speed that you want from your mids. If he can come back like this then he has to be in the frame.

Great points, but at age 16-18, a lot can change. We see it every year, the under agers talked up as the next big thing, then half don't ever even get drafted.
This is true. Ashton Moir was touted as a contender for last year's no.1 pick in his bottom age year but ended up at pick 29.
But it's hard to compare FOS to Moir as both players play 2 different positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back