Trade period / National Draft 2024

Which out of contract player should we trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree if we got back pick 4 and another early one I think we’d be winning still . There doesn’t seem a great deal of diff first 5 or so

General consensus ‘at the moment’ is:

Smillie and JOS likely top-2, but not absolute standouts.

3-10: very even and very strong.

11-30: a high quality group all the way down to pick-30.

Seems a great draft to ‘scatter gun’ with top-30 picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I understand he is an unlikely pick 1 or 2, but we need to get creative to land this kid aswell. He and FOS project as a formidable combo.
We need to target Eagles pick even if it means giving up Baker for next to nothing.

Lalor will end up the best mid of the draft, more upside than the current first 2 prospects in Smillie and FOS, but because he isn't there yet he drifts down the order a bit. The team with Pick 2-5 that nabs him will get a steal.

I wouldn't mind back trading to pick 2 or 3 and taking Lalor + whatever else we get for the other pick, even if that's into the 2025 draft.
Nah.FOS is the man.

General consensus ‘at the moment’ is:

Smillie and JOS likely top-2, but not absolute standouts.

3-10: very even and very strong.

11-30: a high quality group all the way down to pick-30.

Seems a great draft to ‘scatter gun’ with top-30 picks.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Need to aim for 5 pics in top 30;
  • 2 mids
  • 2 KPF
  • 1 small fwd with x-factor

I think Taranto calling a meeting is inappropriate and foolish.

Best talking is on the footy field, politics always interferes with our ability to win premierships.

If I was a player I would not attend because the meeting is inappropriate even if I was staying. If anything it encourages players to leave because i think the likes of Taranto are getting a little crazy

it looks like Taranto wants a security blanket. He is playing among his peers, we all want to win a premiership, he has support, what more does he want??? If he cannot wait 2-4 years what gives? If a player leaves it increases our chance of getting another player back in that could be more suitable. Control is not a success mechanism. There are always ins and outs, there is always change every year, teams always evolve and when they evolve for the better it helps win premierships. We need to evolve, if a player leaves helps that I am all for it and if the player wants to leave it is a signal it is helping the player leaving as well as the destination club and departure club because every ship does not come home to port at the same time and has a different journey. Taranto needs to comprehend he cannot change the weather and sea waves, ups and downs are a part of it and he has to learn to ride the waves otherwise he might drown because if he does not he can get the chance of taste premiership glory!!

If the RFC footy club came out and said we are no longer interested in winning premierships then a meeting should be called because alarm bells would be sounded as to what the f... is going on???
This is a weird post.

It comes across as if you think you are a player, list manager, ceo of the club.

Taranto meeting or just chatting with the other players shows leadership and can reassure players that they are wanted and needed at the club.

That kind of leadership is what builds premiership teams.

Remember, only Tim and the players know what kind of personal relationship they have. Everything another person says is just speculation.

We are not as far behind as it seems.
Good preseason, healthy list with some fresh talented youth will reinvigorate the team.

What if returned to GC after 3y ,,,you do NOT invest a no1 pic on an interstate player least of all some 10lb weakling , worst idea ever
None of the top 20 has a pic of Lids on their wall.
Lets trade our 1sts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone reckon we bid at 1? Or just take the guy we can have and let WC/North bid?

Wouldn't surprise me if we bid on Ashcroft at 1 or 2. Don't think we will bid on the GC kid (even though he is exactly what we need) unless we end up with a later first round pick, around the 8 or 9 mark.

This is a weird post.

It comes across as if you think you are a player, list manager, ceo of the club.

Taranto meeting or just chatting with the other players shows leadership and can reassure players that they are wanted and needed at the club.

That kind of leadership is what builds premiership teams.

Remember, only Tim and the players know what kind of personal relationship they have. Everything another person says is just speculation.

We are not as far behind as it seems.
Good preseason, healthy list with some fresh talented youth will reinvigorate the team.
none of that is accurate, they would have casual talk anyway regardless, no need to publish anything.

It sounds like Taranto if not Hopper as well is feeling a little desperate.

The youngsters have all the time in the world within reason, the elder statesmen have been there and done that and over the crest and others have also enjoyed the good times. Taranto comes across as a little impatient.

It has nothing to do with hierarchy, it is about a market of options and providing the best for players and fans seeking premierships.

You do not win premierships being cozy. We had to change our forward line through injury to win in 2017 and Graham just arrived, Pickett just arrived as well for later ones, change is good and if you fear it it suggests you are more likely to lose than win anyway

Taranto and Hopper are allowed to seek a trade or show interest in movement to a club closer to contention window, they are human, it is perfectly understandable? Why would RFC be concerned about this? It is a midfielders draft and our club needs to bide its time a bit more than others to allow our new talent to develop before we challenge again

BTW, we are not here to reinvigorate lists, there is no entitlement to manage a list. We are here to win premierships and or prepare to win premierships. If we have to spend more time preparing to win premierships before winning premierships so be. We are not here to f... spiders

Last edited:
I’m a FOS man based on having watched him live and seen him train and he oozes leadership and work ethic. Great decision maker and brings others into the game. Didn’t see the same in Smilie and really keen to see them in action again Sunday. The game I’m most looking forward to this week 😆
* Ideal scenario if we could get FOS & Lalor

I’m a FOS man based on having watched him live and seen him train and he oozes leadership and work ethic. Great decision maker and brings others into the game. Didn’t see the same in Smilie and really keen to see them in action again Sunday. The game I’m most looking forward to this week 😆
* Ideal scenario if we could get FOS & Lalor

FOS & Lalor would be a dream. Cotch & Dusty 2.0

Feck it just bid on both and wipe out all their picks and bring our later picks foward

Exactly, but first, give the clubs involved an offer they can't refuse. Just call them and say you find a way to help us or we will find a way to hinder you. Then hang up. Maybe put some heavy breathing in there. :)

Ignoring the unavailable Academy/FS players, this is how I currently see the draft:

Top 2Smillie, FOS
Picks 3-5Jagga Smith, Sid Draper, Trainor.
Picks 6-10Christian Moraes, Harry O'Farrell, Sam Lalor, Taj Hotton, Murphy Reid
Picks 11 - 20Toby Travaglia, Harvey Langford, Bo Allan, Isaac Kako, Joe Berry, Tom Gross - with also probably both Whitlock twins, Jobe Shanahan & Jonty Faull
20+KPF - Tom Simms, Kayle Gerryn, Harry Armstrong, Charlie Nicholls.

Not sure if I've left anyone out who should displace players from the top 20?
Key position players in particular can surprise and move either way depending on needs of the clubs with picks in particular ranges.

Trade period / National Draft 2024

Back