Trade rumours involving Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Reveler said:
I don't want Tarrant. His price would be too high, and he wouldn't cope in the Perth Fish bowl.

Yes !!!

Tarrant is not a player we should bring into Freo and only be involved with him if it helps pry a classy midfielder from West Coast.

Please give us a midfielder or two, we need midfielders !

I think that's the whole point Lach. Sending a BIG message to medhurst and the weagles.

Tarrant - that worries me.... :eek:

Looks undoubted that we'll be losing a player or two this week, and gaining a new face at Freo.

Since CC has been here:
2005 - no trades at all
2004 - lost draft picks and Troy Simmonds, gained Josh Carr and Blackie;
2003 - lost Koopsy and Croad, gained draft picks;
2002 - lost McPhee and Leigh Brown, gained Des. Draft picks were swapped.

The suspense is, while not killing me, keeping me pretty interested... ;)

Edit: Looks like Freo will be very busy this week: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=274969

My two bobs worth:

Solomon
Potential there but depends on price and even more on a medical test as I thought he looked a bit proppy when I saw him play. Does fit that hard-big-bodied-midfielder need that we apparently have. Thought the bombers were asking abit too much of him when they played him on key position players.

Tarrant
Not excited, I reckon he lacks mental strength. Out on the turps & playing up when his form was down. Yips in front of goal. Large salary requirement.
Would go alright at Subi if he finds form, but I'd peg him as more risky than it's worth.

I'd hoped we woulkd trade players for picks. We have the talent base to lose a few players and not hurt the team too much. Picks would hopefully see us stay in the eight for longer than we would if we traded mature players IMO.

It does seem strange that we are debating a deal that involves some version of polak (an errant forward with substance issues who struggles to kick goals) for Tarrant (an errant forward with substance issues who struggles to kick goals). Both can take a grab. For me there is a big difference in their running and speed capabilites, and Tarrant's game style would @) compliment Pav/Longmuir/Murphy better than Polak and b) suit Subiaco more as he leads better and covers more ground.

Assuming that this deal is being well and truly pursued, I hope the extra is not too much. That is, not our first round.

Well, looks like we're in the hunt for Tarrant!!

Aker is a Bulldog
October 09, 2006 12:00am

BRISBANE triple premiership player Jason Akermanis has been traded to the Western Bulldogs in the first key deal of AFL trade week...

Meanwhile, Fremantle personnel manager Steven Icke said the Dockers were keen on trading for Collingwood star forward Chris Tarrant, who is keen to move to one of the two Perth clubs .

"We think he can help us, so the interest is as strong as it needs to be to try to secure his services,'' Icke said.

"Obviously we've got to hear what Collingwood has to say, but we're pretty keen to see what they want for him.''
Magpies officials refused to comment on a possible Tarrant trade ahead of today's negotiations.

Icke also said the Dockers were interested in uncontracted Essendon premiership defender Dean Solomon.

He said Fremantle football manager Robert Shaw and assistant coach Mark Harvey, both formerly on Essendon's staff, believed Solomon would be of benefit to the Dockers.

Icke conceded Fremantle might have to trade away promising young tall defender Graham Polak, despite a preference to keep him.

He said the club would continue to try to persuade him to stay, but Polak, who is uncontracted, had told the Dockers he wants a move, so trading him
would be better than letting him slip into the pre-season draft.

"If there's an offer put on the table and Graham's adamant that he wants to leave then obviously we have to do the best possible thing for the Fremantle Football Club,'' Icke said.

Richmond, which needs to shore up its key defensive posts, is one of several clubs to have expressed an interest in Polak.

Sydney coach Paul Roos said his club was keen to quickly come to an agreement with Hawthorn over a trade for Hawks ruckman Peter Everitt, who wants to go to the Swans...

He also said the Hawks were confident of gaining young tall defender Bret Thornton from Carlton. Thornton has told the Blues he wants to go to the Hawks, although Carlton is reluctant to part with him.

"We're confident, we'll certainly be offering some deals anyway,'' Pelchen said.

-AAP
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sto...82-661,00.html

pinkus maximus said:
yeah i agree about targeting midfielders but there doesnt seem to be any available

also I dont think Longmuir will ever be 50 goal forward,hes pretty much a second string ruckmen who can go forward and create a contest
Given the state of his knees I could see JLo develop into a super-sub. He gets 40-50 minutes a match. He's handy down forward but has played some of his best footy around the ground. He's also a very good at clearances.

pinkus maximus said:
remember this time last year the papers were saying were giving up pick 10 for Hay

We offered pick 10 and Ryley Dunn. The roos offered 2 first round picks, but the hawks told us we could have Hay for pick 10 and Ryan Murphy. The club considered this deal but rejected it, and we dodged a bullet.

We should have learnt from last year and the Croad saga not to sell the farm for KPP with issues. If Tarrant thinks by moving to Fremantle he will avoid the spotlight he is sadly mistaken.

Remember even if we trade Polak and pick 13 for pick 8 we will have to give something else to collingwood. They will want more than just pick 8 so we will lose another player. So Tarrant will cost pick 13 + Polak + ????.

If we trade for Tarrant and Ray (who is out of contract) ends up at the eagles I'll be p1ssed off!

dominguez said:
We offered pick 10 and Ryley Dunn. The roos offered 2 first round picks, but the hawks told us we could have Hay for pick 10 and Ryan Murphy. The club considered this deal but rejected it, and we dodged a bullet.

We should have learnt from last year and the Croad saga not to sell the farm for KPP with issues. If Tarrant thinks by moving to Fremantle he will avoid the spotlight he is sadly mistaken.

Exactly.
Not to mention the fact we dont need him.
Pavlich, Farmer, Murphy and Longmuir are a top notch forward line.

It is our midfield that needs work, Sandilands cant do it all.
If we recieve a first round pick for Polak, surely it must either be used to pick up a young gun midfield in the draft, or on traded for an established midfielder.

Trading for tarrant when we have medders doesn't make sense.I agree only trade for a decent midfielder if at all.Why do people want to trade young players 20 and under?Not all players develop at the same pace and if they show something they're worth persisting with.

Tarrant is nearly 26 ,Polak is only 22....4 years younger. They both appear to have similar attributes of showing star qualities and being potential champions. Both have not lived up to our perceptions of them, however Polak has 4 more years to catch up to Tarrant and prove to us that he will make it. So why all of a sudden is Mr Wayward Tarrant a better proposition than Polak and that we have to give up more than Polak to get him when he...like Polak has really not become the champion that people thought he would ??????....Don't do this deal !!

IMHO, you should be going hard for both Tarrant and Ray. I think Solomon is just rubbish from journalist filling space.

You've got Polak, Medhurst and Dunn who all have varying amounts of trade value - none of these guys were/are in your first XXII; if you need to throw in #13 as well you should do it.

The next three years are when you have the best chance of winning a flag. Pav in his prime and Bell still going around.

Tarrant and Ray would seriously improve your side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rob said:
Today's Australian has us trading pick 13 and Polak to Richmond for Pick 8, which would then be on traded for Tarrant and/or Solomon.

Pick 13 alone is barely worth Tarrant, I would be fair dinkum ropeable if that happened.

Collingwood want a first round pick and a player. So if we trade 13 and Polak for pick 8 we will still have to give up something else for Tarrantino. :(

Solomon's trade value is low, he's probably worth a 3rd round pick but if we trade our 1st round we can't afford to lose our 3rd round pick too. Possibly Ryley Dunn, Jimmy Walker or Happy Gilmore will be used to get Solomon.

I'd love for Headland to be used for one of these deals but that is highly unlikely. :thumbsdown:

I have been a staunch defender of Freo's trading since CC & co arrived, but if they do this trade (Polak + 1st rounder + another player for Tarrant), then they deserve all the shyte they will cop over it. :mad:

ImperialPurple said:
I have been a staunch defender of Freo's trading since CC & co arrived, but if they do this trade (Polak + 1st rounder + another player for Tarrant), then they deserve all the shyte they will cop over it. :mad:

That's a good point IP. CC had plenty of critics midway through the year but won a lot of friends with the way we finished the season. If we sell the farm to acquire Tarrant then start the season slowly the knives will be out again.

ImperialPurple said:

I agree.

that is way over the market value of tarrant.

theGav56 said:
Tarrant would not be a backup player, he would be in our best 22. Polak at this stage is the Pavlich backup.

I was referring to the comment about "what if pavlich goes down" as an arguement for seeking Pavlich.

Of course he would be in our 22...

2 first round draft picks in this draft could snare us two potentially very good midfielders.
Or the likes of Ray etc

We dont need KPP
Snaring Tarrant does not fix what is still our biggest lacking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade rumours involving Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back