Trade rumours involving Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Are freo doing a carlton(Whitnall) and putting polak up for trade at his potential price knowing no-one will pick him up(bonus if they do)putting the fear in him.Look how good whitnall has played and he even admitted that it made him look at himself.Has Tarrant picked the west knowing none of us need him?Why not geelong doggies port etc who might need a forward.maggies are also wanting a lot for him.

I don't have a problem in theory of getting Tarrant to Freo... but at what price? When do we say, nah - that's it for us, we're not going to pay that much? Personally, I reckon Polak + first round draft pick + another player is too much.

Cameron_K said:
I seem to be one of the few who believe Tarrant will be a good fit for Freo.

I'm with you mate... I've been saying all week I would love to get Tarrant.

Tarrant is a gun, and if we give him a role like he had in 2003, he will be great. He was widely acknowledged as a top 10 player in the competition in 2003 when he was allowed to run and run and run.

rgauci said:
Your not alone. Fremantle need someone like him now. Murphy will get there, but isn't going to develop overnight.

There is room for both.

Tarrant to play at CHF in a hard leading role. Murphy to lead out of goalsquare. Pavlich to roam around the area with Farmer lurking too. Can even leave JLo in the square, and also give him a reduced role off the bench due to his injuries. He will be a very good impact player.

ImperialPurple said:
I don't have a problem in theory of getting Tarrant to Freo... but at what price? When do we say, nah - that's it for us, we're not going to pay that much? Personally, I reckon Polak + first round draft pick + another player is too much.

I think that is too much as well, especially because it does not leave us much room to trade/pick a decent mid. But I was please with how the club made it clear that it will trade well, but not go overboard for the sake of it with trading in last years draft.

This on Polly:

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=302501

Polak of interest
5:00:57 PM Mon 9 October, 2006
Paul Gough
Sportal for afl.com.au

Richmond has signalled its interest in Fremantle key position player Graham Polak on the opening day of the AFL's trade week but the Tigers will not be giving up an early round draft pick to secure the versatile 22-year-old.

Polak, who can play both as a key defender and a key forward, has played 73 games since debuting in 2002 but struggled to break into the much-improved Dockers' line-up this year when he managed just 11 games and only one after round 13 when the club's winning streak began.

Fremantle player list manager Steven Icke said several clubs had inquired about Polak's availability on Monday.

"We have had some fruitful discussions but no decisions have been made at this stage," he said.

"They (Richmond) are one of the clubs that have asked about Graham but like I said these were only (preliminary) discussions."

Richmond football operations manager Greg Miller admitted the Tigers faced two major hurdles before they could secure Polak, who would add some much-needed height to the team's small defence.

"We are reasonably (keen on Polak) but we have got budgetary constraints," Miller said.

"We have to clear someone out to be able to afford him so there is that issue (as well as coming up with a suitable trade deal for the Dockers)."

Miller said the Tigers would "definitely not" be giving up an early round draft pick for Polak.

"We are not interested in losing any of our choices in the draft and as I said there is also our financial constraints as well so we have take that into consideration as well," he said.

The Tigers' veteran administrator said he would be surprised if many clubs would be willing to give up early draft picks this year, such was the strength of the 2006 crop of draftees.

"The whole (first) day (of trading) was pretty quiet which just shows the depth of this draft," he said.

"Most clubs are talking about keeping their draft choices and I can understand why."

Kenny_01 said:
I'm with you mate... I've been saying all week I would love to get Tarrant.

Tarrant is a gun, and if we give him a role like he had in 2003, he will be great. He was widely acknowledged as a top 10 player in the competition in 2003 when he was allowed to run and run and run.

I agree, A new enviroment I believe will also help him.

It would just give that option of seeing him roam from CHF up to the wing, I think most don't realise just how much ground Tarrant can cover.

ImperialPurple said:

Exactly. Tarrant's worth having on our list, but he aint the bloody messiah, and he aint the solution to our problems which are predominantly in the midfield. If we're going to use up our first round draft pick, then a 26 year old with a dubious background is a pretty risky selection. I'd rather draft a kid with good credentials.

ImperialPurple said:
Richmond has signalled its interest in Fremantle key position player Graham Polak on the opening day of the AFL's trade week but the Tigers will not be giving up an early round draft pick to secure the versatile 22-year-old.

If Polak wants to leave, we could get a secound round pick and a pick from Richmond and on trade that to Collingwood for Tarrant

Rob said:
Exactly. Tarrant's worth having on our list, but he aint the bloody messiah, and he aint the solution to our problems which are predominantly in the midfield.

No-one is suggesting that he is the messiah. But if Polak goes we need to maintain that depth. And as the last couple of years have shown, we can't rely on JLo and Hase for that matter to be out on the park for four quarters every week.

What everyone here has failed to grasp is the Polak is not contracted. If we fail to do a deal and then fail to sign him he goes into the PSD and we get diddly squat for him.

Tarrant is better than nothing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The latest thread on D&T board is that reported on Ch10, "they" are discussing:

Richmond: downgrade from pick 8 to pick 13, get Polak (huge win)
Freo: lose pick 13 + Polak, get Tarrant (what we can reasonably expect)
Collingwood: get pick 8 (not enough apparently)

But Pies have said they want a player also. That player should not come from Freo. Otherwise, Pies have got what they want, Richmond have basically got Polak for free, and we have given up a crapload to get Tarrant. If Richmond were to send a decent player to Collingwood, instead of us sending a player there, then that would even up the deal in a way that would leave this supporter feeling a little less ripped off.

If it was like this...
Richmond: downgrade from pick 8 to pick 13, get Polak (huge win)
Freo: lose pick 13 + Polak + another player, get Tarrant (ripped off big time)
Collingwood: get pick 8 + player (what they are after)
... I'd be most unimpressed.

However, if it was like this...
Richmond: downgrade from pick 8 to pick 13 + lose a player, get Polak
Freo: lose pick 13 + Polak, get Tarrant
Collingwood: lose Tarrant, get pick 8 + player
... then I would feel much more satisfied that a win:win:win trade had been worked out.

This gets worse...

Posted by babylove

Tarrent will be traded, Fremantle seem the front runners and a mention of maybe Schammer and 1st round pick (I'm just the messanger and that's what was reported on 7news so if your not happy don't yell at me). Also mentioned others are interested but they didn't say who.

Schammer and a first rounder.... not likely... :mad: Still if that's who they've asked for, at least we know what the market for Tarrant is likely to be. A starting point for negotiations... :thumbsdown:

ImperialPurple said:
This gets worse...

Schammer and a first rounder.... not likely... :mad: Still if that's who they've asked for, at least we know what the market for Tarrant is likely to be. A starting point for negotiations... :thumbsdown:
Why do we suddenly have this huge need for Tarrant? You take the 1st days trading news with a pinch of salt, but I think there is enough out there now to suggest freo is aggressively chasing him.

pants said:
What everyone here has failed to grasp is the Polak is not contracted. If we fail to do a deal and then fail to sign him he goes into the PSD and we get diddly squat for him.

Tarrant is better than nothing.

But the 2 deals aren't linked. Sure we need to get something for Polak by Friday, but we could just take the pick 13 and Polak for pick 8 deal and fly back to Perth if we feel that collingwood want too much for Tarrant. Giving up Polak + pick 13 + a player is ridiculous.

Cameron_K said:
I agree, A new enviroment I believe will also help him.

The media pressure on an out of form Fremantle player would probably be the strongest in the country. I think Tarrant feels that if he gets out of Melbourne the scrutiny will be less, but infact it will be greater. Trent Croad was a shy lad who couldn't handle the scrutiny, I think Tarrant would be the same.

dominguez said:
But the 2 deals aren't linked. Sure we need to get something for Polak by Friday, but we could just take the pick 13 and Polak for pick 8 deal and fly back to Perth if we feel that collingwood want too much for Tarrant. Giving up Polak + pick 13 + a player is ridiculous.

No you're right they're not linked but Tarrant would be a direct replacement for Polak as being another tall marking forward to maintain our depth - probably a better kick and better further up the ground. If we don't get him through the Polak deal, we might try something else.

I agree though that giving up Polak, a player and pick 13 is over the odds. But according to Greg Swann, an All-Australian potential player is what they are after.

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=302507

"He is a bloke who is contracted and is an All-Australian footballer - and they don't grow on trees - so the deal would have to be pretty good (for the Pies to agree to trade Tarrant)."

"We are not adverse to (a combination) of players and draft picks and we will just see how that goes."

dominguez said:

Spot on Dom !! That would be the deal for me, we'd have a good chance of a Jetta or equal quality plus another pick at 13.

Could you afford his salary. Seems a poor move for mine. If I was you id prefer Farren Ray. You lost your finals games simply cos you got killed in the middle not because your forward line wasnt good enough

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade rumours involving Freo

Remove this Banner Ad

Back