MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

These type of bumps that result in a concussion have been suspended for years now. If you choose to bump, you take full responsibility for what happens to that player.

Let’s not act surprised or that it’s some anti port conspiracy. He deserves the weeks and needs to be better.
cada839f4d66959dfe7d1c0db67c71fd

70415b75757b707c1214ce5f9deb5674

These type of bumps that result in a concussion have been suspended for years now. If you choose to bump, you take full responsibility for what happens to that player.

Let’s not act surprised or that it’s some anti port conspiracy. He deserves the weeks and needs to be better.
Theres no conspiracy. Whenever a Port player is involved its 'time to finally make an example' and they get a proper punishment. Any other team and its a lottery whether they get 0 weeks or 3.

Don't forget all the garbage about Aliir last year, then a Crows player gets knocked out a week later and plays out the game.

We've been copping this all the way back to when K.Cornes was the first and only player to be officially warned for diving

You just know that if it was finals time and SPP was playing for a Victorian contender that the AFL would be lapping up every last drop of the “lanes defence” on this one.

Anyway, the bump is dead and tackling is terminal. Get used to it. Within 10 years the primary method of dispossessing an opponent will be slapping the ball out of their hands.

There are three issues here:
1] SPP's crude run into Keane, showing zero football-action intent, resulting in a brain injury to Keane.
2] The timing of it, as the first incident to be reviewed post-Brayshaw retirement.
3] SPP being a Port player, and not from a powerhouse Melbourne club

He therefore cops THREE penalties ...
1] 2 games for his shoulder charge
2] 1 game penalty to show the world that the AFL is serious about concussion
3] 1 game "Port tax" ... (Bugger! We should have scheduled more coffees with Gil)

So he gets a 4 game suspension - Reduced to 3 on early acceptance. Anything less and he makes out like a bandit!

2 games is realistically best case scenario. Both from the perspective that it’s careless high and high rather than severe (reasonable but unlikely) but also from the perspective that our first 2 games are against west coast and Richmond. Both of which if we can’t beat without Sam playing then we are further off the pace this year than we all hope. 3 games means we miss him against Melbourne which will hurt.

1. Rioli turned Keane into spp in the tackle
2. He did not go into a contest where the bloke was being tackled. I showed that Rioli tackled Keane in the last second before spp arrived and spp only had fractions of a second once Keane was turned.

None of this is my opinion, I showed this clearly in the still shots I posted.

3. Yeah kind of agree that he might have to temper his attack, which is utter bullshit really. Just the reality of the cluster* we’re in thanks to league mismanagement.

He needs to squib contests cause he’s not a white private school Victorian.

1. He did not make a decision to run full tilt into a contest where a tackle was being made. I showed stills that the tackle was made in the last second, and Keane turned in the last fraction of that …

2. He doesn’t make a tackling motion?

No, I addressed this. He has fractions of a second to make a decision and execute. Not 3 seconds not 5 seconds fractions of a second.

Again, not remotely opinion based, the time is in the stills I posted.

Anyone who wants to claim he could have easily had enough time can google reaction times. The common reaction time just to hit a button your finger is hovering over is around .20 to .35 of a second, around the same time spp had to judge and act once Keane was turned in the tackle. You can just tap a screen your finger is hovering over but expect spp tracking at 30km an hr to be able to do what in the time?

Jesus this is a horrific take. Let’s just play flag football.

Agree with all of this and just adding in that passage of play Sam ran to four contests including the Keane 'bump'. In three of those he was dropping the upper body to attack the torso, in the Keane clash he was running to the contest and Keane was slung into him.

I can't even see how he's meant to temper his approach, what not run to contests? Because that's all he did. If he was one of the media's darlings they would be rolling out all manner of biomechanic experts to exonerate him.

Agree with all of this and just adding in that passage of play Sam ran to four contests including the Keane 'bump'. In three of those he was dropping the upper body to attack the torso, in the Keane clash he was running to the contest and Keane was slung into him.

I can't even see how he's meant to temper his approach, what not run to contests? Because that's all he did. If he was one of the media's darlings they would be rolling out all manner of biomechanic experts to exonerate him.
I guess it all comes down to if SPP 'chose to bump'

Keane was swung into his path so maybe all SPP did was an act of inate behaviour and brace for contact.

Keane was swung into his path so maybe all SPP did was an act of inate behaviour and brace for contact.

We all know he will get at least 3 games. But I don't think there was any intent on Sam's part to bump.

Next we'll be removing goalposts after a player runs into one and gets concussed.

So if there is no intent on Sam's part to bump, what law gets him suspended.

Keane was concussed so he'll be done for at least careless approach (even though all he did was run to the contest), severe impact, high contact. And because the Victorian media is outraged.

Port should appeal (especially now we don't owe the AFL any money) and not send Lionel Hutz to represent Sam.

"The Port Adelaide Codicil of Disproportionate Penalization" posits that within the domain of athletic competitions, particularly when an infraction occurs on the field of play, any participant identified under the aegis of Port Adelaide shall, by virtue of association, incur an amplification of punitive measures, notably manifesting in the form of extended suspension durations, as compared to their counterparts devoid of such affiliation. This principle suggests an intrinsic bias or a perceived rigor in disciplinary actions uniquely applied to said entity's affiliates, thereby augmenting the conventional penalties with additional temporal sanctions.

(I am now just outsourcing all my posts to cgpt)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, let's flip the question for a moment.

What's Keane supposed to do in that situation to not end up with a brain injury?

The only possible answer to that question is 'don't play the game'.

And if that's your answer to the question I just posed, the game has a serious problem that needs addressing.
That's a really tough question but I'll give it a shot.

1. Keane could have handballed to the Adelaide player to his right as soon as he gained control of the ball (with three steps mind you) instead of trying to do that incredibly stupid spin move into a blind corner which resulted in him having no control over what would happen.

2. The controlling umpire could have called holding the ball - prior opportunity on Keane as soon as Rioli laid a legitimate tackle on him and Keane chose to keep possession of the football - the dumb spin was his prior:

1708825006295.png
1708825082117.png

At no point does it say that the player has to be brought to ground. Instead, the controlling umpire let play continue and allowed Keane to continue to swing around while continuing to maintain possession, looking for a teammate, with his speed and momentum now accelerated by Rioli.

In other words, if Keane actually was following the laws of the game, he would have never been in that situation in the first place. In a properly adjudicated game, Keane either:

Gets rid of the ball to a teammate before attempting that stupid spin.

Gets rid of the ball with his free arms as soon as he is tackled during the spin.

Gets whistled for holding the ball when it doesn't happen, since the spin was his prior opportunity.

In all three situations, the incident with Powell-Pepper never occurs, because the ball would have been somewhere else or play would have been dead.

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that one of the handful of players on the field that has a reputation for running around like a lunatic crashing into bodies with reckless abandon somehow ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time and had Keane's head slung into his shoulder through absolutely no fault of his own. Keane should probably bring him flowers to apologise for this horrible misfortune.

Keane tries to roll out of the tackle whilst lowering his centre of gravity
So not only does he remove his vision of whats ahead of him he also goes lower

I've got spp at 2/3 weeks but lets not pretend he (Keane) had perfect technique here

Also, let's flip the question for a moment.

What's Keane supposed to do in that situation to not end up with a brain injury?

The only possible answer to that question is 'don't play the game'.

And if that's your answer to the question I just posed, the game has a serious problem that needs addressing.

This is absurd, bordering on comedy.

Google reaction tests, do one on your phone.

Fingering hovering over your screen you will get results of .20-0.35 seconds, around the same amount of time spp had while tracking at around 30km hr.

We all know he will get at least 3 games. But I don't think there was any intent on Sam's part to bump.

Next we'll be removing goalposts after a player runs into one and gets concussed.

Yep

Afl discretion. They have the flexibility to make it up as they go along.

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that one of the handful of players on the field that has a reputation for running around like a lunatic crashing into bodies with reckless abandon somehow ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time and had Keane's head slung into his shoulder through absolutely no fault of his own. Keane should probably bring him flowers to apologise for this horrible misfortune.

You’re talking as if spp is the only bloke to ever concuss a guy instead of the there literally being a dozen every week with every one on our list who’s played significant games involved on one end or the other.

Yeah, dude whose job is literally described as pressure forward was involved in a collision that is literally so common we have a mrp that views these cases weekly but lets paint spp as a reckless thug.

Oh please, if it wasn’t for players like SPP, Pickett, Carr, Hardwick etc our Premiership cabinet would be as barren as Glenelg’s.

Come on mate, we need more players with Sam’s attitude, not less. I’d rather he walk the line and sometimes miss, then play a robotic, vanilla brand of footy, void of any individual passion & flair.

Remove this Banner Ad

MRP / Trib. Tribunal Thread - rules and offences discombobulation

Remove this Banner Ad

Back