Trigg replacement? who will it be

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely first port of call must be someone that has done a CEO job before at a football club.

After that then it seems to be the accepted past footballer/business acumen model - Locally you couldn't go past Scott Salisbury

I disagree there.
Very few men can actually say they have already got a CV which includes CEO of a football club by their name.
The only candidates you can consider in this case is former CEO's from other clubs. Sure they have the experience but it limits the selection pool to only a few men. Keith Thomas, Brian Cook, all had to start somewhere.

There are dynamic non football CEO's and candidates out there that have run large organizations who are perfectly capable of transferring their business acumen to the Crows management team.

Past footballers/CEO's are perfectly legit candidates but surely there must be some ambitious , capable men out their who have a passion for football without ever playing the game or running a club. Limiting the perimeters to a very specific type nearly guarantees that Swann or Nigel Smart are shoe ins.
I would like to see the net cast a lot further than that.

Yeah no I don't. I'm 53 years old. Have worked since I was 15. Have lived in three countries, 8 cities and have done many, many different things. I have two degrees. If you can't appreciate that people don't do the same line of work all their life, I can't explain it to you. Right now I work within the biological sciences area - and I work in theatre on the side. Ten years ago - completely different yet again. Ten years before that - even different still.
In theater in Brisbane I presume? Been involved with anything at the powerhouse?

Wasn't it " I won't accept criticism from people that aren't qualified"

Who counts as qualified? Corporates? Administration?
It was. I think we are both right

I disagree there.
Very few men can actually say they have already got a CV which includes CEO of a football club by their name.
The only candidates you can consider in this case is former CEO's from other clubs. Sure they have the experience but it limits the selection pool to only a few men. Keith Thomas, Brian Cook, all had to start somewhere.

There are dynamic non football CEO's and candidates out there that have run large organizations who are perfectly capable of transferring their business acumen to the Crows management team.

Past footballers/CEO's are perfectly legit candidates but surely there must be some ambitious , capable men out their who have a passion for football without ever playing the game or running a club. Limiting the perimeters to a very specific type nearly guarantees that Swann or Nigel Smart are shoe ins.
I would like to see the net cast a lot further than that.

Agree with this. The first qualifier is if they are an extremely clever business person. Not pretty good. Extremely good. Some of the most successful CEO's have transferred industries; it's not a big issue.

For those saying we'll be right because Roo is on the board, don't be fooled. He's an ex-footballer with a few pubs. I wouldn't rate him high on the big business nous list.

The club must treat the appointment of the replacement CEO a bit more professionally than they have other appointments in the past.

I personally know some of the applicants for the COO position, and Nigel Smart comes up as a rock ape by comparison to some of those unsuccessful applicants.

Similarly when we replaced Stephen Schwerdt 2 years ago, we appointed his off-sider to the role. Hello!! How lucky were we? Apparently we had the next best person in the land for the job working for us as an assistant. o_O History shows that was a mistake and we should be rectifying that at the end of this year if we've got any common sense.

While loyalty to staff is an admirable trait, it doesn't mean that a doctrine of internal promotion is necessarily the right one.

If you want to be the best, you have to employ the best, and the CEO role in a football club is the one of the most important roles for any club to be a healthy prosperous and ultimately successful football club, with Geelong being a prime example of this.

The club says it is going to look for the best candidate both nationally and internationally. How genuine that statement is will depend on whether they appoint internally or externally, as IMO there would be many many external candidates far better qualified for the role than anything we have in house.

1000x this!

My old man, who has never had anything to do with sports administration, is more qualified to be CEO of the club than anybody currently working there, and that includes the current CEO. Hell, I might try talk him in to throwing his hat in the ring, he might enjoy a change of pace. If Nigel Smart is considered as a serious candidate, I might send in my application.

1000x this!

My old man, who has never had anything to do with sports administration, is more qualified to be CEO of the club than anybody currently working there, and that includes the current CEO. Hell, I might try talk him in to throwing his hat in the ring, he might enjoy a change of pace. If Nigel Smart is considered as a serious candidate, I might send in my application.

My hubby said the same thing. :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Nigel Smart is the best person for the job, it means one of two things. One, whoever conducted the search couldn't find sand in the desert, or two, every talented business administrator is very happy with their current employment.
It's not the later...

Life at the top isn't everything - absorbs most of your life. I can do it, but does wear you down.

I make more $'s now (without the title) & doing more interesting work.

Life-work balance :)

Fair enough.
Like you, I have changed my career direction - doing more fun stuff with clients & less bureaucracy that I distaste. Doing new things, lower stress levels when don't have as much BS in your life :)

Yeah no I don't. I'm 53 years old. Have worked since I was 15. Have lived in three countries, 8 cities and have done many, many different things. I have two degrees. If you can't appreciate that people don't do the same line of work all their life, I can't explain it to you. Right now I work within the biological sciences area - and I work in theatre on the side. Ten years ago - completely different yet again. Ten years before that - even different still.

There's a more different to 'completely' different? I though completely was about the differentest that you could get. Anyway, what dhows gave you been in? Have you done any Shakespeare?

Does that make you the same as Jenny? I.E. Jack of all trades and master of none?:eek::D
Don't believe my change was so drastic - utilising my previous experience/skills ;)

But they do say I'm a master ;)

In theater in Brisbane I presume? Been involved with anything at the powerhouse?

Wait a minute.

Now I might have to enter this thread. But only if you're going to say something nice about the Powerhouse.

So Rooch has the candidates as the following.

THE CANDIDATES

JUSTIN REID

SON of former Adelaide football operations chief John Reid, the leading player manager is strongly connected in the AFL and Adelaide Football Club, particularly with new board member and future chairman Mark Ricciuto.

CRAIG VOZZO

A South Australian with extensive background in law, player management and football management, Vozzo has worked with West Coast since late 2010 as the Eagles’ list manager and football operations chief.

GREG SWANN

A DIRECT swap at the border with Trigg joining Carlton and Swann moving to Adelaide is not beyond reality. Swann has 15 years’ experience as a club chief executive having previously managed Collingwood.

CHRIS DAVIES

RESIGNED from the SANFL on Monday — before he knew of Trigg’s resignation at Adelaide — despite strong expectations he would become Leigh Whicker’s successor as the State league’s chief executive. Highly regarded.

NIGEL SMART

A PREMIERSHIP player with Adelaide (1997 and 1998), Smart does have varied business experiences and served on the Crows board before joining the administration last year as chief operating officer. His gaffes this year, particularly with the State jumper saga, suggest his apprenticeship is not over.

DAVID NOBLE

VAST experience in football — as a player at Fitzroy, coach at Glenelg and assistant coach at the Western Bulldogs and Crows — has given Noble the background to lead Adelaide’s football department. His commerce background is limited, suggesting he is not ready for the chief executive’s chair.
Reid and Vozzo as the leading candidates ATM.

What about Andrew MCKay from Carlton?
I haven't read all of this thread but I think Andrew McKay would be a good choice both for the lols and as a serious choice. I imagine that he would be happy to move on from Carlton.

He did withdraw from the running for the Carlton job. Perhaps he got wind of Trigg coming and thought, if I just hold off I could work for a club with a better chance of success,,,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back