Tyson Edwards battled cancer last season

Remove this Banner Ad

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tyson-edwardss-cancer-fight/story-e6frf9jf-1226024337271
RETIRED Crows great Tyson Edwards has revealed he battled cancer in his final season at the Adelaide Football Club.

The man, whose superb career controversially ended in June last year, said the disease hit him like a sledgehammer and was behind his shock early retirement.

Edwards, a dual premiership player, was diagnosed with testicular cancer in November, 2009.

Keeping his condition hidden from his teammates and most of his family and friends, he had a malignant testicle removed in hospital on Melbourne Cup Day.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/tyson-edwardss-cancer-fight/story-e6frf9jf-1226024337271

Just saw this on the Herald Sun site, very surprised by it all. Lucky for him it seems he has got rid of all the cancer, but for him to play half a season of footy so soon after is amazing and probably the big reason why he dropped in form so quickly.

Tyson Edwards' battle with cancer in 2010

I had no idea. Explains his dramatic drop in form from 2009 to 2010. So happy that it's in remission. In regards to when he was dropped, I'm sure Craigy and the board were aware of his condition? It would of made it hard for both parties especially when they wanted to keep his situation quiet.

All the best to Zoomer and the family.

I probably could of worded it better, but that's what I meant..

Yeah, it is a terrible thing though, I'm glad that things seem better for him, it certainly puts his performances in perspective as I'm sure the cancer put his football career in perspective.

Stay well zooma. With what you have left you're still ballsier than most of us.

I think a few apologies required from some very critical of his decision to not keep on playing yeah? Yes little brother that includes you.

Extraordinary, extraordinary man and player. I've always admired the way he's gone about things, but this takes it to a new level. A role model for role models.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to sound like a bastard. I wish him the best with his battle with cancer and I sincerely hope that he makes a full recovery but I really hope he told the club.

Lets forget for a moment that he has cancer. If he has chosen not to tell the club (who would be one of the best clubs in the league for supporting its players) and his teammates, it sends a very bad signal and perhaps it explains why the club reacted last year like it did (I suspect the club wasn't told until he nearly retired). The club and your teammates are there to support you.

I know if I had cancer, the first people I would be telling after my immediate family would be my employer. Now that is being a role model.

I'm going to sound like a bastard. I wish him the best with his battle with cancer and I sincerely hope that he makes a full recovery but I really hope he told the club.

Lets forget for a moment that he has cancer. If he has chosen not to tell the club (who would be one of the best clubs in the league for supporting its players) and his teammates, it sends a very bad signal and perhaps it explains why the club reacted last year like it did (I suspect the club wasn't told until he nearly retired). The club and your teammates are there to support you.

I know if I had cancer, the first people I would be telling after my immediate family would be my employer. Now that is being a role model.

"[The Crows had offered Edwards time off to get himself right.

"But I knew my body didn't have the energy or strength to do that for the rest of the season. I had lost the fight for football, as I knew I had a bigger fight for my health," Edwards said.]"

The article reads like the admin must have known.

God, who effin cares? His battle could not be anymore personal and he can tell whoever the **** he likes.

Best of luck to him in his recovery. Let's hope for all involved that there isn't a reoccurrence of his cancer.

Certainly puts last year in a whole new light, must have been one of the most taxing things someone could put themselves through. It's an achievement to even get out onto the park and it makes that round 11 victory against Fremantle all the more memorable knowing what he went through to get there.

He is a true champion of this club and I hope he uses this story to generate awareness.

When I went onto the Crows website to seen the Round 10 team & saw "Tyson Edwards retires - effective immediately" the first thought that popped into my head was that he was sick :confused: Knew he was too classy to have a dummy spit for being dropped & retiring straight away.
So glad to hear that he's in remission. Best of luck to him :thumbsu: Very glad he got his farewell game now & that he played a blinder!

Maybe the offer to get well was after he retired and then said why. Would also explain the back flip more.

Correct I am guessing. Why keep something like that so private, just complicates things so much more. I for one thought he had had a dummy spit but now I see why he would have left. BUT WHY, TELL SOMEONE! He just ruined his reputation is so many peoples eyes. At least let the club know.

Hope he is all better and will return to full health soon. All the best Tyson

Remove this Banner Ad

Tyson Edwards battled cancer last season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back