Under 19 Premier Division - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow ………What a game and yes I was wrong Scotch were mighty impressive to be able to drag themselves back into the match.

They ran the ball brilliantly and caught Xavs what looked like off guard.

Hopefully young Sansomle is ok , that was truly sickening .

I might add that this was one of the most over officiated games In recent times. The sooner umps understand that the game is not about them the better.

Can Scotch people fill me in about Vanderbrook?? Where was he on the weekend?

Also can someone from Xavier fill me in on the whereabouts of the following players on the weekend?

Iccione ???
Douglas ??? Isn’t he meant to be your captain??
Beetham??
That number 1 ?? Think his name is Barango??

I am sure I will get whacked for this but I still felt Xavs controlled the game right up until the last seconds. Scotch where well coached , and well drilled mighty impressive……..until they won.

In big games everyone gets a little excited especially when it is close. But……Scotches celebration left a little to be desired. I hope the coaches reminded everyone that Premierships aren’t won in round 7!!

We thought this week was good. De La v Xavs just got a whole lot bigger!!

Good effort by scotchies to beat xavs in what appears to been an arm wrestle at steadbroke park. The premiership is no longer a one horse race.

Blues will rue missed shots against beauy in a high scoring clash. Dickinson was very good for the sharks.

OMs must have been a little unlucky yesterday ?

OMs played well but would have been lucky to win. De La just don’t have the depth of other seasons (as can be seen by how their 2nd team is travelling) so with 3 or 4 playing seniors and injuries to some other key players they are a little exposed at the moment. Probably the best chance OMs will ever have to knock them off. OMs the better side early but De La kicked 4.10 in the 2nd quarter and it should have been over at half time. Second half pretty scrappy football on that small ground. OMs had some chances late but could not finish. If De La plays like that next week against Xavs they will get flogged.

Interesting observations Rooster.

I noticed Close was named second BOG in the ones yesterday. A excellent achievement considering it was his first senior game. So I am thinking he maybe up for a while. Would I be right to assume that ?

De La still has a lot of quality running around in the 19's such as O'Connell. Remember not that long ago he did kick some big bags as a first year 19's player. He can play make no mistake about that !

I think that a lot of games are won and lost by the quality of your top age players. Depth is important but strong top age players will get sides over the line most times. I saw that on that on the weekend. With Dickinson and Webber doing the job for Beauy. They are both top age and were the difference in the end.

Interesting observations Rooster.

I noticed Close was named second BOG in the ones yesterday. A excellent achievement considering it was his first senior game. So I am thinking he maybe up for a while. Would I be right to assume that ?

De La still has a lot of quality running around in the 19's such as O'Connell. Remember not that long ago he did kick some big bags as a first year 19's player. He can play make no mistake about that !

I think that a lot of games are won and lost by the quality of your top age players. Depth is important but strong top age players will get sides over the line most times. I saw that on that on the weekend. With Dickinson and Webber doing the job for Beauy. They are both top age and were the difference in the end.

Close and Todd both excellent in the seniors yesterday. Tom Humphrey, still only 18, has played all year in the seniors and has been very good. None of those will be playing 19s any time soon. O’Connell’s last 2 years have been ruined with injury. First game since round 1 on Saturday but used sparingly. They are actually enjoying the challenge of having to work harder for wins this season. Have always had good numbers of 19s in the seniors but have generally had the depth to cover. Not so this season. Under 19s is about development so good to see them given an opportunity at senior level even if it weakens the 19s team.

Development vs. Results is a interesting debate Rooster. Most teams would wrestle this one I would think.

A club like Beaumaris would look to their 19's to be there best chance to Premier Section in the Seniors in the near future. The question is do they focus on bringing kids up to seniors to improve the club or they try and win the Unders for a long term successful culture for the club ?

To my thoughts there must be a balancing act between the two. Which is sometimes difficult to achive.

Development vs. Results is a interesting debate Rooster. Most teams would wrestle this one I would think.

A club like Beaumaris would look to their 19's to be there best chance to Premier Section in the Seniors in the near future. The question is do they focus on bringing kids up to seniors to improve the club or they try and win the Unders for a long term successful culture for the club ?

To my thoughts there must be a balancing act between the two. Which is sometimes difficult to achive.

Dont want to be too harsh on De La - Its nigh on impossible to get that balance right. The only club that has seemingly done it is Xavs and im sure even they have had their issues.

I have to agree with you with the umpiring OnceAgain.... that shorter ump calling frees 50m away from the play for both teams is a disgrace! he should stop trying to get involved in the game! and for that boundary ump wearing jeans!! he was a disgrace!! what happened to the vafa boundary umps that were named?

Great game of footy and yeah that sansom injury didnt look pretty! and you could tell striaght away it was bad due to the screams coming from him! youd have to think nathan brown-ish maybe?

it is only round 7 scotch.....

In defense of the boundary umpire the vafa supplied ones didn't show up, He is a Xavs coach just helping out, and I hear that scotch were so excited because the player who kicked the winning goal was playing His last game for the club

Dont want to be too harsh on De La - Its nigh on impossible to get that balance right. The only club that has seemingly done it is Xavs and im sure even they have had their issues.

Xavs seniors have been so good for so long that they rarely have had to play 19s in the seniors. They have had quality players in the 2s that would have been walk up starts at most other clubs. As a consequence their 19s have remained strong. De La philosophy is quite simple. If you are in the best available 22 you play seniors.

I think you will find thats the case at all clubs - xavs included.

Would agree with that, although there are always a few exceptions. Some clubs are so desperate for success at any level that they have been known to load up there U19s or even seconds. Most progressive clubs would put development ahead of glory in the unders or reserves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quality match at Stradbroke on Saturday..great display of footy. Apparently a fair few of the boys from both xavs and scotch were pretty good mates so i bet the scotchies won't be letting them forget about that one for a while. In response to Once Again, the absense of vandenbrook; pretty sure there was a mix-up between oakleigh and scotch and the poor communication meant he couldn't play for either. As for the xavs outs, douglas (captain) has been out for a few weeks now i believe and so has berengo..both dangerous players. Iacone was also out which wouldve been a relief for scotch as hes been in top form from what i see. Beetham another one who missed due to tac footy.

De la vs xavs this week..huuuugeeeee

scotchies too good!! premiership on the cards!!!!

After their reaction on Saturday you would have thought they had already won the premiership, bit over-the-top for a round 7 home and away match if you ask me. For a team who just snuck over the line against a depleted Xavier, and who are about to travel down to tackle Beaumaris; i think they're getting way too comfortable. Go Beauey

Quality match at Stradbroke on Saturday..great display of footy. Apparently a fair few of the boys from both xavs and scotch were pretty good mates so i bet the scotchies won't be letting them forget about that one for a while. In response to Once Again, the absense of vandenbrook; pretty sure there was a mix-up between oakleigh and scotch and the poor communication meant he couldn't play for either. As for the xavs outs, douglas (captain) has been out for a few weeks now i believe and so has berengo..both dangerous players. Iacone was also out which wouldve been a relief for scotch as hes been in top form from what i see. Beetham another one who missed due to tac footy.

De la vs xavs this week..huuuugeeeee

Thank you for the insight. Iacone was a big out.

Interested to hear all thoughts on the coaches this season???

As most sides have VFL/TAC, Senior or School footy changes from week to week. It can make it difficult to get a true indication of when teams are playing full strength. With the likes Beetham playing for the Chargers Xavs would have been weaken by him not playing. This would have possibly changed the result of the game. But saying this Van Der Brook would have been a big in for Scothies if he had played.

In summary depth is a key requirement for a successful year. It's no use having 22 good players when I think you need close to 30 to be a true contender IMHO.

Scotches outs were alot more valuable than that of xavier. Comparing Beetham to the likes of vandenbroek is a joke, vandenbroek is ten times the player in every aspect of the game. Iaucone out ,yeah he has kicked a few goals, but scotch had Sam Barnett out a superstar big forward ready for a comeback this week, as well as vice captain Pete Hodges and lost James Sansom one of their best 3 players in the first 10 minutes. I dont think the win can be attributed to Xaviers outs at all because scotch had more valauble players on the sidelines.

Scotches outs were alot more valuable than that of xavier. Comparing Beetham to the likes of vandenbroek is a joke, vandenbroek is ten times the player in every aspect of the game. Iaucone out ,yeah he has kicked a few goals, but scotch had Sam Barnett out a superstar big forward ready for a comeback this week, as well as vice captain Pete Hodges and lost James Sansom one of their best 3 players in the first 10 minutes. I dont think the win can be attributed to Xaviers outs at all because scotch had more valauble players on the sidelines.

You have got to be kidding me! No matter which way you look at it, Beetham got picked infront of Vandenbrook down at Oakleigh. To shrug off the fact that Iacone was out is simply ignorant considering he's been in such good form. If Iacone played it wouldve meant that another one of the Scotch defenders would have to have to sit on him, which frees up Barry and Hannan who had 2 defenders with them everywhere they went. Not to mention that Xavier's captain was also out, along with Berengo who is always capable of turning a match on its head.

If Xavier can get back to full-strength; look out!

What a ridiculous statement.

Van Den Broek played seniors on the weekend and had minimal influence, would have touched the ball 4 times for the day. Yes he probably would have made a difference in the 19s, but you can't categorically say that if he had of played, we would have won, he didn't, that's why we didnt win. Fact of the matter is, you play with what you have on the park, and that's why it comes down to depth. In saying that, at underage level, the better players count for so much more than the 19th or 20th player at senior level would.

But saying that re VDB, you may as well say Xavier would have won if Goss had of played.

Xavs had their key players out, but you play with what you got. We'll see who gets when it counts, and as Scotch were shown last year... You don't win premierships during the season.

Prelim final last year anyone?? Talk it up Scotchies, but when push comes to shove, we won't see you at the end. ;)

In follow up, Beetham, Iacone, Berengo and Douglas are extremely talented players and I have no doubt they would have made a significant difference to the make up of the side.

Round 7 guys... Put the lid back on.

tinnies think you should know there are two VDB, the one that played seniors isnt the one being talked about above

Way too much chat about who played and who didn't play...

Wouldn't worry about the Red Headed Dutchman... if young VDB is anything like his older brother then it won't take much to frighten the friendly giant. :eek:

couldnt agree more, top 4 sides play each other this week, both big games in which promises to be the round of the year so far. little less chat about last week and bit more about this week, saying that not sure about your thoughts on the red headed dutchman. he did win the b&f last year

Way too much chat about who played and who didn't play...

Wouldn't worry about the Red Headed Dutchman... if young VDB is anything like his older brother then it won't take much to frighten the friendly giant. :eek:

My apologies re the wrong VDB.

Play on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back