Remove this Banner Ad

Out Darling, Cripps, Hickey, Hurn, Schofield,
In Oscar Allen, Cameron, WIlliams, F Watson, Mcgovern

At least Achee tried put in effort

Out brander in xxon - can't be any worse
Out hickey in Williams
Out schoey in McGovern
Out cole in rotham - need a third tall hurn just can't jump anymore
Out redden in waterman - if we are going to play a HFF may as well be a bloke who can mark and kick a goal
I have two more to add
Out brander in xxon - can't be any worse
Out hickey in Williams
Out schoey in McGovern
Out cole in rotham - need a third tall hurn just can't jump anymore
Out redden in waterman - if we are going to play a HFF may as well be a bloke who can mark and kick a goal
Out Darling in Oscar Allen
Out Cripps in Cameron

I have two more to add

Cameron won't be ready.

No scrimmage this weekend due to Port only bringing around 30 players with them.

Last week Cameron played 40 minutes and was managed.

Not to mention I disagree that the best way to get the most out of your better players is to play them in to form, rather than dropping them.

Muddle headed thinking continues to plague us at MC level. Chopped Oscar for Hickey but then played Hickey in the Ruck or on the pine for ~40% TOG. Our blokes aren't running out the game at all and we use two slots on big men, Nic and Hickey,
to generate 1 games worth of minutes?

Our defenders are frying under the constant pressure of the ball living in our defensive half. Fumbles, poor kicks and headbutts all escalate as the game progresses and there is no respite with periods of us attacking for the defenders to reset mentally.

OUT: Hickey, Schofield(susp)

IN: Vardy, Gov

I would love to drop Darling. That was probably the worst 200th game I have seen and we have had some real shockers over the years. The guy clearly doesn't want to be playing football currently. However I doubt Simpson has the stones to drop the heir apparent.

We’ve been in the hub the same amount of time as Freo and played the same three teams.

They’ve lost by an average of 18 points. We’ve lost by an average of 40 points. Their biggest loss (29) is less than our closest loss (30).

We can’t blame the hub.
You have to wonder if the club being full of fathers with kids is affecting them.

IN: Allen, McGovern
Out: Hickey, Schofield

Really not sure whether to go Williams/Allen to back up Nic.

Allen offers up more forward, and Richmond don't really care about ruck contests, but Oscar has been well beaten in the ruck contests this year to date.

Richmond look poor, but they are stilling bringing their tackle pressure.

Combined with our lack of skills and night game conditions, the game will primarily be a game of ground ball gets and field position. Dusty is nowhere near having his normal impact on games at the moment.

They are travelling the day of the game off of a 5 day break is the only positive in the Eagles corner.

Tough times.

Yes about that... it was mentioned on Fox last night that Richmond have been given an exemption and are allowed to travel on the Wednesday and stay on the GC overnight.

Yay VFL 🙄🤬

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree that we can't blame the hub. To say that the hub is not a major reason is just not true.
Two Qld teams, three wins each, two WA teams no wins each. I know no active coach or player likes to admit it but it's like carrying 50 kg in your saddle bags. It's possible to win but much more difficult.

Fremantle have played better than us, this is clear. One reason that they may have handled the hub better than us is that they are a younger team. Three players with children as opposed to 15 is an important factor. The players are elite athletes and 1 or 2 % off mentally makes a big difference. To use one example, Darling looks as though he doesn't want to be there. Probably it would have been better for all if he wasn't there.

Yep the 'warm fuzzy family thingy' has come out to haunt us. The guys got too cozy with family stuff during the Covid hiatus, and didn't maintain fitness levels to the max, and now are nowhere near matchfit - no run or dash. It's plain to see all over the ground, and in our 2nd half fadeouts.
I don't think it will improve much back in Perth either as the fitness base is screwed.

Just to pour Gasoline on Fiveys and Great White Sharks disagreement :fire: ⛽

I think the resentment towards Duggan stems from him being a bit of a nothing player. He's not attacking, and he's not a defensive gun (like Shep).

He doesn't move the ball with any intent. His stats and disposal efficiency are padded by the way he'll turn and chip the ball back into defensive 50. When he finally doesn't have that option, he'll go long down the line and take the conservative kick (which adds metres gained but is a defensive kick).

There is no attack with him at all. If the opportunity is there to feign a handball to a running overlap player to confuse the man on the mark then take off on and run with the footy before delivering, he won't do it. He won't be the one to take the attacking kick into the corridor. No risk with his disposals.

Basically he plays with all the attack of Tom Barrass, despite not being a lockdown KPD with average footskils. Not much in the trick bag. Looks for short kick.

Whether that's due to Simpson or our defensive structures, i don't know. But there's minimal flare with him. Most of the flashiest moments and highlights of his career came in his first season or two with us, presumably before it was coached out of him.

Back when he was drafted we were all excited by his skills and 'attacking' left foot kick. Pendlebury comparisons and the fact we all thought he could potentially become a skilled midfielder seem so laughably naive now.

Defensive wise, he does some good things and he does some bad gimp things. If there was a defender version of Marsden, who always puts himself in the situation to be ragdolled HTB or make an error to lift the opposition team, it's quickly becoming Duggan. Cole probably edges him. I think he's solid without being truly reliable. One of the most replaceable players we have.

Look he's our youngest defender, and hopefully given more responsibility once Hurn and Jetta goes, but right now he's no better than Cole or Nelson IMO.

He is rarely in anyone's votes, is never in the best 10 players on the ground, i think last year he finished 20th in our bigfooty voting and 23rd in 2018.

Before anyone jumps down my throat because he backed back and took a courageous mark in front of Mason Cox in the grand final, or the fact he bumped Jeremy Cameron that one time, please... i'm well aware 🙌

Hi folks. Sorry to intrude
Does anyone know how i can get a ticket to this game?
I emailed your club and they said thwy didn’t know. Nothing on ticketek or metricon stadium websites i can see.

anyone know?
Just jump on the team bus mate, being a non- AFL player you would blend in. Even if you were identified as an outsider, it is unlikely any of them could be fvcked questioning you. In fact they would probably ask if you can ruck.

Just to pour Gasoline on Fiveys and Great White Sharks disagreement :fire: ⛽

I think the resentment towards Duggan stems from him being a bit of a nothing player. He's not attacking, and he's not a defensive gun (like Shep).

He doesn't move the ball with any intent. His stats and disposal efficiency are padded by the way he'll turn and chip the ball back into defensive 50. When he finally doesn't have that option, he'll go long down the line and take the conservative kick (which adds metres gained but is a defensive kick).

There is no attack with him at all. If the opportunity is there to feign a handball to a running overlap player to confuse the man on the mark then take off on and run with the footy before delivering, he won't do it. He won't be the one to take the attacking kick into the corridor. No risk with his disposals.

Basically he plays with all the attack of Tom Barrass, despite not being a lockdown KPD with average footskils. Not much in the trick bag. Looks for short kick.

Whether that's due to Simpson or our defensive structures, i don't know. But there's minimal flare with him. Most of the flashiest moments and highlights of his career came in his first season or two with us, presumably before it was coached out of him.

Back when he was drafted we were all excited by his skills and 'attacking' left foot kick. Pendlebury comparisons and the fact we all thought he could potentially become a skilled midfielder seem so laughably naive now.

Defensive wise, he does some good things and he does some bad gimp things. If there was a defender version of Marsden, who always puts himself in the situation to be ragdolled HTB or make an error to lift the opposition team, it's quickly becoming Duggan. Cole probably edges him. I think he's solid without being truly reliable. One of the most replaceable players we have.

Look he's our youngest defender, and hopefully given more responsibility once Hurn and Jetta goes, but right now he's no better than Cole or Nelson IMO.

He is rarely in anyone's votes, is never in the best 10 players on the ground, i think last year he finished 20th in our bigfooty voting and 23rd in 2018.

Before anyone jumps down my throat because he backed back and took a courageous mark in front of Mason Cox in the grand final, or the fact he bumped Jeremy Cameron that one time, please... i'm well aware 🙌
I would agree with most of what you have written and add that at his best he showed some hardness and aggression. This was his 1 wood but he seems to have lost his aggression with dropping 5+kg.

I too prefer Cole who has some zip, and I would like to see Watson in the team.

Out: Schofield, Hickey & Darling (4 touches & 3 turnovers)
In: Gov, Williams & Oscar to the forward line
Yeo to the backline

Out: Schofield, Hickey & Darling (4 touches & 3 turnovers)
In: Gov, Williams & Oscar to the forward line
Yeo to the backline

So who from the backline goes in to the midfield?

Weather is gonna be slippery

out: Darling (Butterfingers), Hickey, Schofield, Hurn (rested), Redden, Ah Chee

in: Allen, Williams, McGovern, Cameron, Rotham, Waterman

Out
- Darling - a statue would be more active;
- Brander - the experiment has failed, shd do his apprenticeship as a third tall in backline, sometimes fwd line;
- Hickey - offers little, there are better options for relief ruck;
- Duggan - small, slow and vanilla, a backline Marsden;
- Schofield - will be suspended, had a shocker

In
- Allen - has a go, don't play as ruck, adds life and skill to the fwd line;
- Waterman - can play a good link up role and kick goals;
- Williams - great leap, energy, athleticism, can play fwd, perfect back up ruck
- McGovern - obvious inclusion;
- Watson - adds dash, pace, flair and hardness, deserves an opportunity

Lucky to stay in: Cripps, Jetta
There's a spot for Cameron as soon as he is fit

I know this makes us tall, but the taller players are the better ones on the list.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back