North Brunswick
Albert Park
Box Hill North
St John's
Masala
Eley Park
Too much travel , time for SBFL

Too much travel , time for SBFL
For the life of me I can't get my head around Old Peninsula staying in the VAFA. 1 hour drive to pretty much every side, once a fortnight, sometimes longer. That takes a toll, you'd be sick of everyone in the car before you get to the ground lol, then afterwards after a beer getting home at god knows when

2 up/1 down D1-C
2 up/0 down D1-D2
3 up/0 downs D2-D3

C Grade

Ajax
Monash
PEGS
Parkdale
Hampton
Mazenod
Carey
Marcellin
Glen Eira
Oakleigh

D1

Ormond
Prahran
UHS
Therry
Peninsula
Kew
West Brunswick
Preston
Parkside
OYC

D2

Brunswick
SMD
Whitefriars
MHSOB
Bulleen
SMS
Aquinas
Elsternwick
Hawthorn
Canterbury

D3

Wattle Park
Richmond
Power House
Swinburne University
La Trobe University
North Brunswick
Albert Park
Box Hill North
St John's
Masala
Eley Park

Wow Wattle Park will be kicking cricket scores every single week.

Not sure Canterbury would be that keen to go up, but in saying that they'd pummel nearly all those D3 teams.

Is there whispers about Masala heading to the SFNL in a potential merger?

Wow Wattle Park will be kicking cricket scores every single week.

Not sure Canterbury would be that keen to go up, but in saying that they'd pummel nearly all those D3 teams.

Is there whispers about Masala heading to the SFNL in a potential merger?
There's really no other option unless they drop Mentone into D1 and Push Preston and then Canterbury down

For the life of me I can't get my head around Old Peninsula staying in the VAFA. 1 hour drive to pretty much every side, once a fortnight, sometimes longer. That takes a toll, you'd be sick of everyone in the car before you get to the ground lol, then afterwards after a beer getting home at god knows when
Remember MPNFL pretty hard to get into so where would they end up ?

Remember MPNFL pretty hard to get into so where would they end up ?
Southern league. Their longest drive would be to Easy Malvern once they get to that grade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately, adherence to the catchment areas went out the window when AFL Victoria took over the affairs of the VMFL.

Since Noble Park and Balwyn got into the EFL and Heidelberg's failed attempt to get into the EFL, the boundaries have been largely ignored by the powers that be.
Why is Balwyn not considered to be EFL worthy geographically? It's basically due east of the city and a decent drive away too.

Southern league. Their longest drive would be to Easy Malvern once they get to that grade.
Asking for disaster if Peninsula joins the SFNL. I don’t think that comp is one that will attract the private school brigade. Also after speaking to some of my acquaintances from Mentone there will be a huge struggle to get a seconds side that is competitive together. Unfortunately D4 will not be attractive for some of their players from 2022 and putting them in a higher grade will make it very tough. Good luck to them, lots of hard work ahead just to get up and running let alone being competitive.

The likes of Balwyn, North Kew Bears and Canterbury fell inside the SESFL (later SFL) catchment area.

From memory, the eastern boundary for the SESFL was Union & Warrigal Roads (or maybe Elgar Road), hence those clubs being in the SESFL, and Surrey Hills being in the then-EDFL.

High Street Road or Highbury Road might have also come into play allowing for clubs like Ashburton, Ashwood (Essex Heights) and Mt Waverley-Burwood.

I am not sure if the ESCFA had a set boundary as they were mainly church-based teams until the last 20 years or so.

Last edited:
If they get to Div 1 they go to Port Colts and if the rumours are true potentially Spotswood in a few years. Not much better off really and have to find the cash to pay players. Doubt the school would let them fence the facility to charge a gate fee either.

Admire them for fronting up to travel every 2nd week but if they ever decided to leave it would be MPNFL or nothing I reckon.

Asking for disaster if Peninsula joins the SFNL. I don’t think that comp is one that will attract the private school brigade. Also after speaking to some of my acquaintances from Mentone there will be a huge struggle to get a seconds side that is competitive together. Unfortunately D4 will not be attractive for some of their players from 2022 and putting them in a higher grade will make it very tough. Good luck to them, lots of hard work ahead just to get up and running let alone being competitive.

If they get to Div 1 they go to Port Colts and if the rumours are true potentially Spotswood in a few years. Not much better off really and have to find the cash to pay players. Doubt the school would let them fence the facility to charge a gate fee either.

Admire them for fronting up to travel every 2nd week but if they ever decided to leave it would be MPNFL or nothing I reckon.
Fair enough, I didn't know that stuff. Just seemed to be the most likely fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back