VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe issues with "girls footy "
This is so out of touch on many levels! VAFA doesn't have girls or boys football.

Nothing to do with Women's/Men's football except Beaumaris and several investigations I would say. These would be say guess $20k.
My guess is that it has something to do with the Jono Anderson article earlier in the year saying [roughly from memory] a VAFA Board Member was not allowed to go to an official VAFA function. IMO the Board has to operate under the VAFA Board Charter which should mean all engagement of lawyers & legal fees are authorised by whatever system is required.

If club funds were used to engage lawyers 1] By single Board Members or just the president without the full VAFA Board approval or b] used for issues arising that are basically personal spats/differences of opinion, all clubs should be outraged at the wrongful expenditure.

This could be very serious and a damming insight into how the VAFA Board has been operating?

This is so out of touch on many levels! VAFA doesn't have girls or boys football.

Nothing to do with Women's/Men's football except Beaumaris and several investigations I would say. These would be say guess $20k.
My guess is that it has something to do with the Jono Anderson article earlier in the year saying [roughly from memory] a VAFA Board Member was not allowed to go to an official VAFA function. IMO the Board has to operate under the VAFA Board Charter which should mean all engagement of lawyers & legal fees are authorised by whatever system is required.

If club funds were used to engage lawyers 1] By single Board Members or just the president without the full VAFA Board approval or b] used for issues arising that are basically personal spats/differences of opinion, all clubs should be outraged at the wrongful expenditure.

This could be very serious and a damming insight into how the VAFA Board has been operating?
No just one board member. It’s too liablous to say more, but let’s say it’s not great.

With regards to what to call XX football I still call it girls football and XY football boys football. It’s an age thing nothing more or less.

No just one board member. It’s too liablous to say more, but let’s say it’s not great.

With regards to what to call XX football I still call it girls football and XY football boys football. It’s an age thing nothing more or less.
I don't know what the problem is , girls and boys , or is there something in between

Anyone got any mail on how Old Mentonians are tracking. What division will they be in, are they likely to have seniors and reserves? What will they actually be called (Mentone, Mentone Amateurs, Cheltenham Amateurs)? All I know is that they plan to play out of Le Page Park in Cheltenham but the rest still seems to be a mystery.

Hope they get up. Subjective I know but genuinely have never met a bad bloke who played for Old Mentonians or who came from that school.

Anyone got any mail on how Old Mentonians are tracking. What division will they be in, are they likely to have seniors and reserves? What will they actually be called (Mentone, Mentone Amateurs, Cheltenham Amateurs)? All I know is that they plan to play out of Le Page Park in Cheltenham but the rest still seems to be a mystery.

Hope they get up. Subjective I know but genuinely have never met a bad bloke who played for Old Mentonians or who came from that school.

Mentone panthers is locked in, their Instagram has been posting a fair bit, 16 person committee in charge of the club. A look at their website says most of its under construction. New kit colors to be confirmed, probably don't want the old colors anymore as the school won't be part of any partnership going forward.

Shouldn't be in any division except the bottom, gives them a good change to establish culture and be competitive as a new side, not to mention its VAFA's rule to go down

The ground is small in comparison to others, but calling themselves the Mentone Panthers on a ground where the Cheltenham Panthers play could be a win for them in the future

Mentone panthers is locked in, their Instagram has been posting a fair bit, 16 person committee in charge of the club. A look at their website says most of its under construction. New kit colors to be confirmed, probably don't want the old colors anymore as the school won't be part of any partnership going forward.

Shouldn't be in any division except the bottom, gives them a good change to establish culture and be competitive as a new side, not to mention its VAFA's rule to go down
Nah! Pop them back into where they came from (D1? Prem C?). Unfair to the lower divisions teams IMO.

D2 would be a good fit.
Mentone Panthers, Cheltenham Cheetahs, LePage Frenchies? Regardless of what this ‘new’ former Old Mentonians team is called, it is a new club that must apply to join the VAFA.

As an aside, and after reading posts on this forum, it seems that the hierarchy at Mentone Grammar doesn’t appear to want anything to do with their Old Collegians football clubs, whether girls or boys.

The former Old Mentonians, shunned by their college, are changing their name and colours, and hope to be playing on a ground away from the college.

Therefore, it appears that a newly (re)formed club, which has never existed has applied to become a part of the VAFA family.

Like all applicants that apply to join the VAFA the proposed new club must undergo due diligence involving all aspects of their participation and pass the test.

If accepted, they start at the bottom just like every new club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Serious question. Why would any club choose to join the VAFA in its current state? The only advantage is not having to pay players. Other than that, there is not many positives anymore unfortunately.

Serious question. Why would any club choose to join the VAFA in its current state? The only advantage is not having to pay players. Other than that, there is not many positives anymore unfortunately.

To many clubs the prospect of not having to find another 100-150k a year is a pretty damn enticing one though!

I read a lot of complaints from district clubs how it’s impossible to compete with the big old boys clubs in Premier. So how is that problem solved going to a local paid league where the same 2-3 clubs dominate their premier comps year after year?

Most of the complaints people have are the same everywhere. They aren’t magically solved by being able to sell a few more beers.

To many clubs the prospect of not having to find another 100-150k a year is a pretty damn enticing one though!

I read a lot of complaints from district clubs how it’s impossible to compete with the big old boys clubs in Premier. So how is that problem solved going to a local paid league where the same 2-3 clubs dominate their premier comps year after year?

Most of the complaints people have are the same everywhere. They aren’t magically solved by being able to sell a few more beers.
I’m not saying going to a paid league is the answer, I’m more asking why would a club look to play in the VAFA. The league is so poorly run at the moment, the only reason you’d choose to compete in the VAFA is lack of player payments.

I’m not saying going to a paid league is the answer, I’m more asking why would a club look to play in the VAFA. The league is so poorly run at the moment, the only reason you’d choose to compete in the VAFA is lack of player payments.
Interested in why you say the VAFA is poorly run? It seems to be fine to me, there’s only room for 10 teams in premier, nothing has changed there.

Fitzroy has made the jump, making it three Melbourne University teams for the first time in the history of the VAFA.

If we ignore the fact that Uni Reds adopted the Fitzroy moniker, we could say that the competition is the healthiest it’s been in years with a grand old club playing in the top grade.

Then you look at a club like Parkdale, who have rebuilt their club’s instead of going broke, which they no doubt would have if they were playing in a paid league, whilst Beauy were a sniff off going up as well.

When was the last time a really well run club left the VAFA? The answer is never whilst the clubs that leave only have their current day administration to blame.

Go the VAFA!

Interested in why you say the VAFA is poorly run? It seems to be fine to me, there’s only room for 10 teams in premier, nothing has changed there.

Fitzroy has made the jump, making it three Melbourne University teams for the first time in the history of the VAFA.

If we ignore the fact that Uni Reds adopted the Fitzroy moniker, we could say that the competition is the healthiest it’s been in years with a grand old club playing in the top grade.

Then you look at a club like Parkdale, who have rebuilt their club’s instead of going broke, which they no doubt would have if they were playing in a paid league, whilst Beauy were a sniff off going up as well.

When was the last time a really well run club left the VAFA? The answer is never whilst the clubs that leave only have their current day administration to blame.

Go the VAFA!
This sounds so much like someone from the past , for the love of a schoolboy team

Go the VAFA!

Ivanhoe and Old Paradians are both very well run clubs Mr Platinum.

Go the VAFA!
Clubs will find out how well we are run and overseen potentially on the 25th October when the Special General Meeting is on. Fitzroy had there origins at Melb Uni but have moved on from the Univ link decades ago so your comment fools no one.

You mention just Prem A and Parkdale which is hardly evidence of being well run. It is more so that those 11 clubs are well self run. You need to look far wider. There was the recent debacle of finals scheduling which is solely on the Admin's plate. Lack of umpires and points system are other relevant issues. Board appear to have internal issues and staff turnover is the highest it has ever been.

Clubs will find out how well we are run and overseen potentially on the 25th October when the Special General Meeting is on. Fitzroy had there origins at Melb Uni but have moved on from the Univ link decades ago so your comment fools no one.

You mention just Prem A and Parkdale which is hardly evidence of being well run. It is more so that those 11 clubs are well self run. You need to look far wider. There was the recent debacle of finals scheduling which is solely on the Admin's plate. Lack of umpires and points system are other relevant issues. Board appear to have internal issues and staff turnover is the highest it has ever been.
Seriously agree 07, the VAFA are only concerned with Premier and Old Boy Clubs, hardly any assistance whatsoever to district clubs and you've only got to look at finals fixture debacle, tribunal decisions for District Clubs, and i'd even go as far as questionable and consistent umpiring decisions against District Clubs. When last out at Fitzroy, i was very impressed, and i hope the Roys have a long and successful stint in the top grade and certainly give some of those elitist private school clubs a good ole rogering.

Points system is ok. Just need to have an easier way of registering points. All newly registered players should be allocated 6 points until otherwise proven. This stops clubs running around late of Thursday/Friday/Saturday trying to get points allocated, especially when total points isn’t an issue.

Seriously agree 07, the VAFA are only concerned with Premier and Old Boy Clubs, hardly any assistance whatsoever to district clubs and you've only got to look at finals fixture debacle, tribunal decisions for District Clubs, and i'd even go as far as questionable and consistent umpiring decisions against District Clubs. When last out at Fitzroy, i was very impressed, and i hope the Roys have a long and successful stint in the top grade and certainly give some of those elitist private school clubs a good ole rogering.
Seriously? Have raised this previously but at the risk of repeating myself, the opinions permeated on this board of school-based clubs receiving some sort of preferential treatment from the VAFA are ridiculously clouded by the success of a one or two strong APS based club. This year Premier clubs Caulfield and Haileybury both forfeited reserves games, one club on multiple occasions. Both are old boys’ affiliates of the two biggest schools in the state and the strongest footballing schools and played off in the recent APS GF. They both just got relegated. How did the VAFA help Caulfield when they were getting flogged each week and couldn’t fill their reserves? Even the almighty Xavs had to win a few games at the back end to stave off a potential relegation. SKOB were a laughing stock for decades. They have become a powerhouse not through VAFA handouts, but through sheer bloody hard work.

Off the top of my head, in recent years the following old boys clubs have either left the VAFA , merged or folded - Rupertswood Old Colls left, Eltham Old Colls left, Mt Lilydale folded, Westbourne folded, Old Mentonians folded, Emmaus rebadged as Wattle Park with no school affiliation, Parade are leaving, St Francis Xavier (after going into recess once, maybe even twice) left and rebadged as Narre Warren South in another comp, Salesian merged with St Marys and Yarra merged with Manningham. So if Old Boys clubs are pandered to by the VAFA why are they forced to leave, merge or fold? Those with longer memories will recall St Bedes are the result of a merge between Mentone and St Bedes Old Colls. Parade, Whitefriars, PEGS, Camberwell, Therry and many, many others are or have generally been competing in the lower grades for decades. St Johns (D4) are barely staving off going into recess for a second time and if rumours are true are looking at merge with an SFNL club. Please tell me how these old boys clubs have received a leg up from the VAFA as they struggle in the lower to middle grades.

So aside from one or two (that work incredibly hard by the way), all clubs are feeling the pinch. Volunteers are thin on the ground, sponsors and supporters’ interest is waning. The VAFA need to support all clubs and to think you get preferential treatment because you are an Old Boys club is simply wrong.

BTW I’m not from one of your so call ‘elitist’ private schools. My allegiance is a with a B grade ACC based old boys team that work incredibly hard on recruitment and retention. However we get pillaged every year by the SFL, EFL and country leagues. Our facilities are average at best and like most clubs finding the necessary dollars to put teams on the park is a weekly a struggle. The VAFA don’t come to our rescue and nor should they.

Last edited:
Points system is ok. Just need to have an easier way of registering points. All newly registered players should be allocated 6 points until otherwise proven. This stops clubs running around late of Thursday/Friday/Saturday trying to get points allocated, especially when total points isn’t an issue.
If you’re running around Thu Fri & Sat getting blokes registered it’s probably because your 2’s & 3’s are short, good idea & I like it but won’t make a huge difference.

Seriously? Have raised this previously but at the risk of repeating myself, the opinions permeated on this board of school-based clubs receiving some sort of preferential treatment from the VAFA are ridiculously clouded by the success of a one or two strong APS based club. This year Premier clubs Caulfield and Haileybury both forfeited reserves games, one club on multiple occasions. Both are old boys’ affiliates of the two biggest schools in the state and the strongest footballing schools and played off in the recent APS GF. They both just got relegated. How did the VAFA help Caulfield when they were getting flogged each week and couldn’t fill their reserves? Even the almighty Xavs had to win a few games at the back end to stave off a potential relegation. SKOB were a laughing stock for decades. They have become a powerhouse not through VAFA handouts, but through sheer bloody hard work.

Off the top of my head, in recent years the following old boys clubs have either left the VAFA , merged or folded - Rupertswood Old Colls left, Eltham Old Colls left, Mt Lilydale folded, Westbourne folded, Old Mentonians folded, Emmaus rebadged as Wattle Park with no school affiliation, Parade are leaving, St Francis Xavier (after going into recess once, maybe even twice) left and rebadged as Narre Warren South in another comp, Salesian merged with St Marys and Yarra merged with Manningham. So if Old Boys clubs are pandered to by the VAFA why are they forced to leave, merge or fold? Those with longer memories will recall St Bedes are the result of a merge between Mentone and St Bedes Old Colls. Parade, Whitefriars, PEGS, Camberwell, Therry and many, many others are or have generally been competing in the lower grades for decades. St Johns (D4) are barely staving off going into recess for a second time and if rumours are true are looking at merge with an SFNL club. Please tell me how these old boys clubs have received a leg up from the VAFA as they struggle in the lower to middle grades.

So aside from one or two (that work incredibly hard by the way), all clubs are feeling the pinch. Volunteers are thin on the ground, sponsors and supporters’ interest is waning. The VAFA need to support all clubs and to think you get preferential treatment because you are an Old Boys club is simply wrong.

BTW I’m not from one of your so call ‘elitist’ private schools. My allegiance is a with a B grade ACC based old boys team that work incredibly hard on recruitment and retention. However we get pillaged every year by the SFL, EFL and country leagues. Our facilities are average at best and like most clubs finding the necessary dollars to put teams on the park is a weekly a struggle. The VAFA don’t come to our rescue and nor should they.
Hey Jack

Just tell me just 2 ways the VAFA could help because you haven't come up with any suggestions.

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back