VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

The problem for the old boys clubs which don’t play Saturday school footy is their students prefer to stick with their junior club into 19s and seniors, get a bit of money rather than pay to play.

We used to have a junior only club nearby which meant you could get some players who didn’t have a connection to a senior club. But about 10 years back they suddenly started up a senior club and been buying premierships ever since.

But I think they’ve now hit their ceiling, probably won’t go any higher as they can’t compete in the premier division so we’re having more success luring players back to play for premierships.

But as long as our longest and biggest competition remains in their leagues premier division and has plenty of cash to burn, we’ll never see the success of the rich old boys clubs.

It’s an interesting thought though, do you try to build a club to get to Premier or realise you can never compete with the money and connections and strive to be as successful as you can around B-D1?

Would think you would be striving to be as successful as possible from D4 to Premier A?

I genuinely hope they erect a statue of a hairpiece at HQ to commemorate the unmatched VAFA career that belongs to every one’s favourite BrianSpeaking - Mr Brian “Benny” Goodman.

Just announced after 55 years’ service to the VAFA that he is finally hanging up the rug.

Best wishes to the great man in his retirement.

Hello All

Im aspiring senior coach after being senior assistant for 6 years . Im looking at the North brunswick anyone share info on them .. I have been facebook spying a bit anyone else can provide some info that be great

You last bit is it . It's too hard to compete with the likes of SKOBAFL and the like.

It would depend on what your goal is. I think as a club you always try and play at the best level you can at any given time. But, others may want to have different aims for their club for different reasons - social, community, etc. They worked hard, utilised contacts to make it attractive to play there, got the school involved and have set up a great program - so hats off to them I say.

It's either too hard to compete OR start the journey to achieve what goals you set your club to achieve........or go to the pub......when we can ;-)

Chump.

It would depend on what your goal is. I think as a club you always try and play at the best level you can at any given time. But, others may want to have different aims for their club for different reasons - social, community, etc. They worked hard, utilised contacts to make it attractive to play there, got the school involved and have set up a great program - so hats off to them I say.

It's either too hard to compete OR start the journey to achieve what goals you set your club to achieve........or go to the pub......when we can ;-)

Chump.
Just think there should be a limit on the amount of teams one club can . Because of the resources and numbers clubs like SKAFL can just get bigger ,good on them. Limit should be 2 unders , 2 Womens etc.

Just think there should be a limit on the amount of teams one club can . Because of the resources and numbers clubs like SKAFL can just get bigger ,good on them. Limit should be 2 unders , 2 Womens etc.

It's a difficult one for sure as strong clubs would suggest they can administer them, fund them and should not be disadvantaged because they have worked hard to get to that position. I get that. I also understand that the VAFA would want the revenue generated from those teams to support the competition. That also makes sense. AND there is no absolute guarantee that those suggested 'trickle down' players would end up playing in the VAFA. I get that also.

BUT, as a person involved in a district club for many years, what you will see is that the continued expansion of higher grade/big clubs to have more and more teams WILL have an impact on lower division clubs, especially district clubs or clubs with a limited junior club affiliation. It might just be the way things go, but again, those clubs will then need to determine what their future looks like and/or what competition they want to feature in.

Cheers, Chump.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not certain the leftover Unders would choose to play at another club, which is what the ideal scenario would be. Majority of Old Boys, especially those associated with the larger, elite Private Schools are so connected to the school name that those clubs are realistically the only places they would play - there's little chance they would trickle down to other clubs. ie If Old Xavs were forced to cull their 19's to two sides, even though they could potentially field three, it's more likely the 'leftover' Under 19's would simply give up footy or chose to play thirds/U23's at Xavs, than chose to come to another club in the area like Kew, Ivanhoe, Hawthorn Ammos, Canterbury etc.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm not certain the leftover Unders would choose to play at another club, which is what the ideal scenario would be. Majority of Old Boys, especially those associated with the larger, elite Private Schools are so connected to the school name that those clubs are realistically the only places they would play - there's little chance they would trickle down to other clubs. ie If Old Xavs were forced to cull their 19's to two sides, even though they could potentially field three, it's more likely the 'leftover' Under 19's would simply give up footy or chose to play thirds/U23's at Xavs, than chose to come to another club in the area like Kew, Ivanhoe, Hawthorn Ammos, Canterbury etc.
That's all true . Oh well it's the EPL then.
Not many old boys on here anymore , no odds from Maplebet etc. Where is that ex AFL player who's now at Div 4 level

Hi Workhorse. That has not been my experience in the past - we have had many, many players who have come to our club previously because of the exact situation you have suggested above. They usually come in groups of two or three or have some mates previously from the Junior club where they played together before.

ALL that said, I'm not certain if it's the way forward either, as I do admire and respect the fact that these clubs have done the work and it's not their problem to 'prop up' other clubs numbers. But it is something that has changed over the past 20 years and this is one of the impacts to have come from the increase in number of 19's, Under 23's, thirds teams and clubbies (to a lesser extent) being established by the 'big' clubs.

Chump.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi Workhorse. That has not been my experience in the past - we have had many, many players who have come to our club previously because of the exact situation you have suggested above. They usually come in groups of two or three or have some mates previously from the Junior club where they played together before.

ALL that said, I'm not certain if it's the way forward either, as I do admire and respect the fact that these clubs have done the work and it's not their problem to 'prop up' other clubs numbers. But it is something that has changed over the past 20 years and this is one of the impacts to have come from the increase in number of 19's, Under 23's, thirds teams and clubbies (to a lesser extent) being established by the 'big' clubs.

Chump.

Thanks Chump, it was definitely a generalisation, but my point comes back to the argument that limiting big clubs' Under 19s will directly result in the leftover players finding their way to other clubs, thus creating more clubs in the Under 19 competition. I just don't see it. I completely agree with your first paragraph, as my club, too, has benefited from small groups of players, mainly from Old Xavs, joining us over the last 5-10 years. No doubt it happens in small numbers, as is your experience, but not with entire teams, or enough to create new teams at other clubs, which I believe is the argument for capping Under 19's teams.

In my experience, though, players are generally more likely to leave these clubs in their early-mid 20s, once they've finished Under 19's with their mates, and few have dropped away, and they find themselves not quite good enough for Premier Seniors/Reserves and look for alternatives. It's great for district clubs like ours, but does nothing for the Under 19 conundrum.

I agree with your last point too, I don't think these clubs should be penalised for being strong or having great connections, it's incumbent on other clubs to make themselves an attractive alternative. However, it can't be underestimated what a great 'leg-up' it is for those clubs to have a plethora of young players walk in the door each year, and Xavs/SKOB et al all seem to have been able to use this advantage.

That's all true . Oh well it's the EPL then.
Not many old boys on here anymore , no odds from Maplebet etc. Where is that ex AFL player who's now at Div 4 level
I think it is what it is Bedders. The EPL comparison is right, there's probably 4-5 clubs, realistically, who will compete at the top of Premier, year-in-year-out, for the foreseeable future, but it doesn't mean a team can't do a Leicester City and win one from the rest of the crop. Unfortunately, this is just the nature of local footy. Pretty much all other metro comps, except arguably the NFNL (and EDFL to a lesser extent), have had one or a few teams dominate their premier/division 1 comps for a long time. Country leagues are often worse.

VAFA i believe to see any interest . I think it has merit
I bet the affiliation fees will have a little premium attached.

Imagine the Scotch -v- OMs over 45s!

They’d be comparing investment properties, share portfolios and tax minimisation strategies at the after match.

I bet the affiliation fees will have a little premium attached.

Imagine the Scotch -v- OMs over 45s!

They’d be comparing investment properties, share portfolios and tax minimisation strategies at the after match.

Agree it has merit - I play efl vets (obviously not this year) and it’s a good comp. I am sure some VAFA sides would be able to field some handy teams!

As for your comment hedge that is gold. Absolute gold!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They came out in the media with a bullshit story about them selves , said they were fed up with their other tenants and had approached 6 other clubs for a merger with PH the fav. They are an ordinary lot.

keen to know what you think in the story is bulls**t? And where in it it says PH is favourite?
what ever your sources, I’d say they’re a fair way off.

Would think you would be striving to be as successful as possible from D4 to Premier A?

I think it’s got some good discussion going, but is a happy club one where you’re putting in all the extra hours, trying to attract big recruits without the connections to try and play A and probably barely win any games.

Or should you settle into a successful club that has success a couple of divisions down, plays finals, wins some premierships but do so without overburdening your club and it’s people? Even if you attract some top talent, they won’t stick around when you drop so you’d be selling out your loyal players for a prayer!

If you win Premier B you’re going to give it a red hot crack the next year, but is it realistic? The networks these clubs have are hard to compete with.

My club has a lot of old boys playing AFL, but what hope would we have of attracting them when they retire? Or will they find a ‘connection’ at SKOBS like other old boys have?

keen to know what you think in the story is bulls**t? And where in it it says PH is favourite?
what ever your sources, I’d say they’re a fair way off.
I know what is bullshit in the story , they are selfish. That ground is not built for footy or cricket , it's for the GP. Believe me flyingpig i know

I know what is bullshit in the story , they are selfish. That ground is not built for footy or cricket , it's for the GP. Believe me flyingpig i know

that’s not the Falcons’ fault...
PV needs to do more to improve the grounds and better assist clubs.
If you’re involved with SMD you’d know that the Falcons and SMD have tried for years to get consistency for even preseason allocations and can’t even get that. That means 11 weeks from Feb-May they don’t even know where they are training - despite still paying a lease!
Even this year they assigned the only football oval available to a soccer club who weren’t even using it.
Despite the fact the soccer clubs had whinged for the last 5 years that they wanted synthetic pitches then complained that synthetic was too hard.
I think PV needs to improve all the ovals in the park and support clubs better, it’s just unfortunate the falcons are the first cab off the rank as they are the worst affected by the GP.
it’s disappointing it’s come to this as you never what to see a club even enter into these discussions, but all credit to the Falcons guys to take things under their control and assessing their options and trying to secure some sort of longer term future.

I think it’s got some good discussion going, but is a happy club one where you’re putting in all the extra hours, trying to attract big recruits without the connections to try and play A and probably barely win any games.

Or should you settle into a successful club that has success a couple of divisions down, plays finals, wins some premierships but do so without overburdening your club and it’s people? Even if you attract some top talent, they won’t stick around when you drop so you’d be selling out your loyal players for a prayer!

If you win Premier B you’re going to give it a red hot crack the next year, but is it realistic? The networks these clubs have are hard to compete with.

My club has a lot of old boys playing AFL, but what hope would we have of attracting them when they retire? Or will they find a ‘connection’ at SKOBS like other old boys have?
that’s not the Falcons’ fault...
PV needs to do more to improve the grounds and better assist clubs.
If you’re involved with SMD you’d know that the Falcons and SMD have tried for years to get consistency for even preseason allocations and can’t even get that. That means 11 weeks from Feb-May they don’t even know where they are training - despite still paying a lease!
Even this year they assigned the only football oval available to a soccer club who weren’t even using it.
Despite the fact the soccer clubs had whinged for the last 5 years that they wanted synthetic pitches then complained that synthetic was too hard.
I think PV needs to improve all the ovals in the park and support clubs better, it’s just unfortunate the falcons are the first cab off the rank as they are the worst affected by the GP.
it’s disappointing it’s come to this as you never what to see a club even enter into these discussions, but all credit to the Falcons guys to take things under their control and assessing their options and trying to secure some sort of longer term future.
They have treated the co tenants like crap for many years with no respect and and some of the things in the story are complete rubbish. That's my problem . Everything you say about PV are correct , they make local councils look good .

They have treated the co tenants like crap for many years with no respect and and some of the things in the story are complete rubbish. That's my problem . Everything you say about PV are correct , they make local councils look good .

Perhaps you could enlighten the Pidge by giving several examples from over the years of "how they treated them like crap." He clearly is close to Albert Park and it would help broaden our collective understandings.

??
The Rested Eye

Remove this Banner Ad

VAFA General Discussion 2022-2023-2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back