VFL VFL 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that…makes sense...but who comes out for Bews? Like for like or do we bolster defence by taking another role out
Well we are losing Stanley and Rohan to injury from the looks of things, Hawkins is definitely back in.
So it depends on who they want to ruck.
Maybe its Stanley/Rohan out, Bews/Hawkins in and then Neale and one of Esava/SDK is the 2nd ruck depending on who is in form in defence.

Plus depending on if they drop anyone for poor form but they haven't really done that this year.

Really depends on how they see the match ups. I don't know who comes out for Knevitt despite the fact I would want to see him in the team.

I think Neale will get better the more he plays - duh - so if that means he plays more 2nd ruck and rests forward then so be it.

The more gametime he gets the better IMO.

GO Catters

I think Neale will get better the more he plays - duh - so if that means he plays more 2nd ruck and rests forward then so be it.

The more gametime he gets the better IMO.

GO Catters

He doesnt look like a huge ego guy. Get him in and get him comfortable... then when he adjusts and relaxes a bit we will see what hes got.

Makes me think we need to reevaluate our mid season selection process though. If a mature coming in ..can not look an obviously better player ..then why have we chosen him. Id agree GS potential is higher but he readiness should be far lower. Where he gets drafted will depend on how clubs rate his running at the combine. If he is slow or has not stamina he slides.

Has Hardie been played out of position in the VFL? I can't understand the drop off in his numbers from SANFL to VFL.

Eh, it's the same as picking any other mature aged draftee. It's low risk and worth a swing.

Id prefer to sign a few 19 year old players to our VFL side that missed on being drafted with the aim that someone can be the msd player. Whetehr thats a ruck or a mid..not overly fussed ..just dependant to best available.

Multiple clubs have drafted this way ..going for someone on their own list. We have such a strong tradition of drafting from our own VFL ...yet two years in a row went went a different way that seems to have been an under achievement.

Has Hardie been played out of position in the VFL? I can't understand the drop off in his numbers from SANFL to VFL.

I dont think its been a role playing issue. Why has someone like George Stevens been able to come in and look like he did. I think something has been harder that what he has been experience when in SA... only he would be able to say. Living away from home or carrying and injury or missing freinds . Not sure..but I doubt he would have been drafted msd ..if he had been playing as he is for our VFL side.

Hardie seems to have played a bit in the forward line, but I don’t understand why they would not play him in the midfield when that is where we needed reinforcements in the AFL, and there was not much competition for spots in the midfield in our VFL team.

That may have been the intent, but nobody came up?

If thats true ..again we need to revise our assessment of who we recruit.

Which 19/20 year mid did we add to our VFL that just missed being drafted for example?

Lets see who we have in our VFL next year ..Lets see if players like Sinnott and Pierson who were in the young guns game this year are given a shot ..(if they do not get drafted.)

If thats true ..again we need to revise our assessment of who we recruit.

Which 19/20 year mid did we add to our VFL that just missed being drafted for example?
Generally IIRC the mid-year draft success stories are mature-aged players a la Marlion Pickett. I guess someone like Daniel Capiron would be close

Hardie seems to have played a bit in the forward line, but I don’t understand why they would not play him in the midfield when that is where we needed reinforcements in the AFL, and there was not much competition for spots in the midfield in our VFL team.
He's generally rotated between the forward line and on ball in games. While our midfield isn't great it does have a fair few players vying for spots - Parfitt, Knevitt, Hardie, Dempsey, Chalcraft as a start, and then anyone else they might want to give exposure to like Clohesy or Whyte.

He's generally rotated between the forward line and on ball in games. While our midfield isn't great it does have a fair few players vying for spots - Parfitt, Knevitt, Hardie, Dempsey, Chalcraft as a start, and then anyone else they might want to give exposure to like Clohesy or Whyte.

Also a bit of the case of we fine with what he can do as a mid, but he needs to be a more well rounded player to break into the 22, he isn't likely to be starting in our midfield rotations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some pretty nice ins for last game of VFL. Assuming Parf will be AFL sub so he won’t actually be in.

Be nice to watch a Toby and Guthrie/Knevitt combination in the middle
Absolutely. And the miraculous recovery of Flynn Kroeger after his 'medium term' knee injury this week is also very welcome indeed.

:cool:

Kicking forward has been terrible largely. Would hate to ply forward in this team

Riccardi getting a bit of the ball

That is about 5 clangers in 6 possessions.

Stats for some players won’t tell the story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back