VFL VFL 2023 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Foster's highlights post drafting looked pretty normal for a tall. Big kids takes grabs over opponents 7-10 cm shorter. All one grabbers, but marks you'd expect the big lad to take.

Then the last mark on the clip showed him out of position, ball floating around , and he uses his body rather than arms to take a great chest mark. That caught my eye. The best big men hit packs and mark on their chest like that.

I could name a couple of champs who used their body to mark on their chest in a pack when not in position A , but I would be accused of getting carried away raising such comparisons and rightly so.

But maybe its time to wish a little?

I've met him and spoken to him at length. You're wrong. Genuine nice guy and very humble.

Not disagreeing with you but id hope he has heard the skyhooks song.... as I think the best players have a high confidence in themselves ..it allows tehm to perfrom at the highest level. He strikes me as a guy off field fun going nice guy... I hope every player has enough confidence to own the moment.

Foster seems a level above this ..its not often a young guy can play to the crowd in his first quarter of footy.

Foster's highlights post drafting looked pretty normal for a tall. Big kids takes grabs over opponents 7-10 cm shorter. All one grabbers, but marks you'd expect the big lad to take.

Then the last mark on the clip showed him out of position, ball floating around , and he uses his body rather than arms to take a great chest mark. That caught my eye. The best big men hit packs and mark on their chest like that.

I could name a couple of champs who used their body to mark on their chest in a pack when not in position A , but I would be accused of getting carried away raising such comparisons and rightly so.

Wish on you crazy diamond 💎

Foster is still a bit light for an AFL KPF.
I will be interested to see how he develops after a season in the VFL and puts on some muscle over the Summer.

This kid has got a good as long kicking style as you will see from a footballer, great balance, not a exaggerated follow through but composed and the ball travels 60 metre on the fly effortlessly. Has big leap, strong hands, strong body (for age), a beautiful long distance kick but also field kick, has plenty of swagger which all big forwards usually have and is ONLY 18 years of age. On top of that he became noticed last year in SA when their number one SA ruckman was injured and he then took his place playing on the ball, so he was getting around the ground and literally from no where started taking everyone's attention, hence Geelong recruiting him. Also, his first quarter playing for Cats not long ago after long lay off from injury was a real highlight and unlike Sav, Foster seems a natural centre half forward once he fully matures.... if this kid doesn't end up a top footballer then I haven't seen one.

Last edited:
Foster's first quarter against Coburg is probably the most impressive I've seen from a teenage key position player at that level. It's so rare that a late pick key position player turns into a genuine gun but he looked like a complete footballer. Dominating in the air and at ground level, great disposal and vision. He looked like Carey in his prime.

If he's doing that sort of thing at training then we'll find a way to get him a few games soon.

This kid has got a good as long kicking style as you will see from a footballer, great balance, not a exaggerated follow through but composed and the ball travels 60 metre on the fly effortlessly. Has big leap, strong hands, strong body (for age), a beautiful long distance kick but also field kick, has plenty of swagger which all big forwards usually have and is ONLY 18 years of age. On top of that he became noticed last year in SA when their number one SA ruckman was injured and he then took his place playing on the ball, so he was getting around the ground and literally from no where started taking everyone's attention, hence Geelong recruiting him. Also, his first quarter playing for Cats not long ago after long lay off from injury was a real highlight and unlike Sav, Foster seems a natural centre half forward once he fully matures.... if this kid doesn't end up a top footballer then I haven't seen one.

they missed the mark.. about 22min mark if 2nd qtr I think… ripper grab

Go Catters

Foster's first quarter against Coburg is probably the most impressive I've seen from a teenage key position player at that level. It's so rare that a late pick key position player turns into a genuine gun but he looked like a complete footballer. Dominating in the air and at ground level, great disposal and vision. He looked like Carey in his prime.

If he's doing that sort of thing at training then we'll find a way to get him a few games soon.
My thoughts about his ground ball work and agility are better left unsaid.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Encino man looks like he has a bit of talent.

Being a rookie pick, if he becomes a good AFL player one day it'll be a nice bonus.

Haven't minded what I have seen of him in his very early days so far.

Fast forward a couple of years and we will know much more.

Phoenix Foster is very raw, no chance he debuts at AFL level this year. He can take a very solid grab but there is a ton for him to work through. A lack of fitness is also clear.

I'm happy with what I've seen so far - plenty to work on, but plenty of potential. Give him two years of solid development and see where he's at then.

Foster is good at ground level - have look at his first quarter on debut. I think jack the God aka Jhye Clark has got this wrong.

In fact he looks a better prospect to me than Conway - oops I'll get smacked for that.

Most of have questioned Knevitt; he's looking OK but a different player than we thought he'd be - sort of a utility player rather than a pure mid. Good hands.

Encino man looks like he has a bit of talent.

Being a rookie pick, if he becomes a good AFL player one day it'll be a nice bonus.

Haven't minded what I have seen of him in his very early days so far.

Fast forward a couple of years and we will know much more.

By Encino Man, do you mean Phoenix Foster or Oscar Murdoch?

If Foster, by rookie pick do you mean not a first round pick?

Foster was our second national draft selection list year - we picked up Clark & Foster in the ND, while it was a Murdoch & Riccardi in the rookie draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back