VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Foster cant provide a contest when needed.
Clohesy must play AFL games this year. Not heaps but has earned that much.
Willis flashes but needs to offer more of them.

Hard game in heavy conditions and taller blokes dont get smaller as the game goes on and we just didnt have the taller blokes at the end that could do anything in F50.

Hard loss

Go Catters

Brendan Parfitt

Goodbye.
Seriously cannot be in the conversation for a seniors game anymore.
25 possessions. With 10 not worth a pinch of shyte.
Makes the wrong decision more often than most.
Ted and Mitch offer more.
Pikey did pretty well vs Reeves IMO.
OH should've played. Maybe could've proved the difference.
Willis does some things really well. But not often enough.
COS tracking well. Ditto Stevens.
Bitter loss that will cost us later in the season.

What type of player do we think Clohesy will end up at AFL level? Atkins-esque inside bull running through the midfield or pressure-focused small forward? :think:
He’s not quick enough to be a small forward at AFL level. Atkins type.

I'm honestly pretty proud of that effort.

No Mannagh, Humphries, Knevitt, Neale, Bews, Conway, & Jeka. No Stanley as the experienced ruckman against an AFL standard ruck in Reeves.

Even someone like Clark. It's a given every week that at least one of him & Knev are playing, and we didn't have either of them.

The vast majority of those players have been huge drivers of our rise up the ladder this year, and we didn't have any of them.

Only (very minor) downside of rewarding VFL form is the VFL team suffers!!

Clohesy deserves a game too, and will get one soon enough. He'll be a player.

I think they said on the commentary they had 17 AFL listed players to our 11 playing today or something like that. Result not too bad on their home deck taking that into consideration. Still with the amount of opportunities we had late to at least draw the game it’s disappointing.

Parf won't play AFL again for Geelong... maybe for any team.

Clohesy, Hardie... even Stevens probably ahead of him + Bruhn & Guthrie to come back in.

Zero forward marking options today cost us in the end, but they had a dip.

25 touches to Mullin not even playing in the guts shows he can get a good amount of it at VFL level... Should be in the centre though and told to hunt the pill.

I think they said on the commentary they had 17 AFL listed players to our 11 playing today or something like that. Result not too bad on their home deck taking that into consideration. Still with the amount of opportunities we had late to at least draw the game it’s disappointing.
And of those 11, only COS, Stevens, Mullin, Clohesy, & maybe MOC look to have a probable long term future at the club.

The vast majority of our really promising prospects weren't playing this week, as they've been promoted (Humphries, Mannagh, Neale) or injured (Knevitt, Conway).

It quite literally was a completely different side to the one who had the winning streak. Very hard to read much into it.

You don't see those mass changes over the course of a few weeks at the senior level.

And of those 11, only COS, Stevens, Mullin, Clohesy, & maybe MOC look to have a probable long term future at the club.

The vast majority of our really promising prospects weren't playing this week, as they've been promoted (Humphries, Mannagh, Neale) or injured (Knevitt, Conway).

It quite literally was a completely different side to the one who had the winning streak. Very hard to read much into it.

You don't see those mass changes over the course of a few weeks at the senior level.

Did Edwards play today?

If not, is he ok?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parf won't play AFL again for Geelong... maybe for any team.

Clohesy, Hardie... even Stevens probably ahead of him + Bruhn & Guthrie to come back in.

Zero forward marking options today cost us in the end, but they had a dip.

25 touches to Mullin not even playing in the guts shows he can get a good amount of it at VFL level... Should be in the centre though and told to hunt the pill.
IMHO Parf would be good for a team that has a lot of outside run, but needs some grunt and hardness in the middle.

Will never be a superstar, but could still serve as a complement to a bunch of 'outside' mids in a free-running type team.

Parf was a serviceable player for us for the best part of a decade, but it looks like the game has passed him by. The foaming hatred and vitriol slung at him is bizarre. I can't fathom picking out one player that I decide I hate and then just obsessively attacking him.

It’s borderline pathological.

IMHO Parf would be good for a team that has a lot of outside run, but needs some grunt and hardness in the middle.

Will never be a superstar, but could still serve as a complement to a bunch of 'outside' mids in a free-running type team.

Which team fits that description though? :think:

I can't think of any side with a midfield he'd slot into at the moment. I think the most likely scenario is his AFL career finishes up at the end of the year. Maybe he gets a spot on a rookie list somewhere if he's lucky.

Which team fits that description though? :think:

I can't think of any side with a midfield he'd slot into at the moment. I think the most likely scenario is his AFL career finishes up at the end of the year. Maybe he gets a spot on a rookie list somewhere if he's lucky.

I think Collingwood as a depth player, rather than starter. They are going to lose a lot of senior players over the next year or two and don't have the draft picks to replace them.

Hard to be too down on the team after that. We had far less AFL experience and generally Box Hill has far superior top ups to us. So competing at all was a pretty good day at the office.

I'm really happy with how Mullin and O'Sullivan looked behind the ball. Looked organised defensively and gave some real drive.

Unfortunately apart from Willis and about twice a game from Foster there is just no forward craft in the team. And the midfield is good at this level but pretty vanilla in an attacking sense so we struggle to score even when we control the ball. I'd like to see what Wiltshire can do when he's back.

I feel like Mullin, O'Sullivan and Willis could make it at AFL level. Maybe Clohesy and Stevens too but they're further off being pure midfielders. But I'm happy with all of them staying at VFL level this year and trying to win a flag there then stepping up next year after another preseason.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back