VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

You're taking the piss right?

Jackson/Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Clark, & Sharp is up there as the best midfield in the league, and it will be #1 at some point over the next few years.

Still got kids like Erasmus & Johnson who would be well ahead of him as well. He'd be rotting at Peel if it ever happened.

With Baz looking all but signed, and Clarry (or someone else) still a chance as well, Parfitt is honestly best off going to Richmond or WC and being a bridge option while their youngsters develop.

St Kilda are an off chance as well, as they seem to love our cast offs.

He's not as good as him, but I could see him doing something similar to what Jarryd Lyons did for the young Lions mids for a couple of years.

They're the only clubs I can see that don't have enough quality kids or experienced guns for him to get regular games.

You're taking the piss right?

Jackson/Darcy, Brayshaw, Serong, Young, Clark, & Sharp is up there as the best midfield in the league, and it will be #1 at some point over the next few years.

Still got kids like Erasmus & Johnson who would be well ahead of him as well. He'd be rotting at Peel if it ever happened.

With Baz looking all but signed, and Clarry (or someone else) still a chance as well, Parfitt is honestly best off going to Richmond or WC and being a bridge option while their youngsters develop.

St Kilda are an off chance as well, as they seem to love our cast offs.

He's not as good as him, but I could see him doing something similar to what Jarryd Lyons did for the young Lions mids for a couple of years.

They're the only clubs I can see that don't have enough quality kids or experienced guns for him to get regular games.

They were the only one I thought that may need more inside midfield help. No slight on their current group who are talented. But I think it’s more likely his AFL career is done unless we give him a further year.

Richmond should go for Parfitt. They've got basically no defensive hardness and no remotely competent inside mids outside of the injury prone Hopper and Taranto and the completely cooked Prestia. Graham and Baker likely to go too.

He'd be a big body to put around the younger talented players that they bring in this draft. And he seems the type not to completely drop his head when the inevitable smashings come.

On FB I keep being told that if we don't play Hardie we'll lose him to another team come October and we'll be made to look silly next year

When I ask which team's midfield he'd walk into, I either don't get an answer or the response is "one of the bottom teams" - the latter suggests to me that people are looking more at the teams position rather than necessarily the teams midfield compilation (North's got a pretty good group of young midfield talent for example)

I think it's going to be a similar issue for Parfitt in trying to find a new home, as not sure there's too many he'd walk straight into. But what could work in his favour is that he's 6/7 months younger than Hardie and he has 129 games of experience under his belt which could be seen as beneficial to a team in transition

But it's hard to know if a team like Richmond or say WCE would want to select him as a depth option, look for a more immediate/definite best 22 player (like we're seemingly waiting to do with Smith) or prefer to back in their younger talent to see what they can offer as they develop

It'll be interesting to see what does happen with the playing futures of a few of our players who seem to be on the outer

On FB I keep being told that if we don't play Hardie we'll lose him to another team come October and we'll be made to look silly next year

When I ask which team's midfield he'd walk into, I either don't get an answer or the response is "one of the bottom teams" - the latter suggests to me that people are looking more at the teams position rather than necessarily the teams midfield compilation (North's got a pretty good group of young midfield talent for example)

I think it's going to be a similar issue for Parfitt in trying to find a new home, as not sure there's too many he'd walk straight into. But what could work in his favour is that he's 6/7 months younger than Hardie and he has 129 games of experience under his belt which could be seen as beneficial to a team in transition

But it's hard to know if a team like Richmond or say WCE would want to select him as a depth option, look for a more immediate/definite best 22 player (like we're seemingly waiting to do with Smith) or prefer to back in their younger talent to see what they can offer as they develop

It'll be interesting to see what does happen with the playing futures of a few of our players who seem to be on the outer
Whether Richmond would want him in my opinion would come down to what the expect from Hopper's body. If Hopper is back to midfield then after him and Taranto the rest of the spots should be going to young players they see being their future. If Hopper has to move to half back to preserve his body then I could see a two year window where he plays 20-30 games.

Don't know that I see any other team

I'd keep Hardie for another year and move on Parfitt. He is still on base wage for another year. He improved quite a bit over his first pre-season. Is probably now where we hoped he had been when we drafted him. I think he could play at AFL level we just have better options that can do what he does just better.

Aside from a couple of terrible short passes, Hardie is banging the door down as Mannagh was. I’m not sure his game will translate as well to AFL as some others but who knows?
He had more than a couple of terrible short passes. I just don’t see a game in Hardie that translates into AFL. Capiron also burnt at least 3 at critical times.

I'd keep Hardie for another year and move on Parfitt. He is still on base wage for another year. He improved quite a bit over his first pre-season. Is probably now where we hoped he had been when we drafted him. I think he could play at AFL level we just have better options that can do what he does just better.
Wouldn't you move both on?

Didn't get to see it, but looks like Ted Clohesy had another solid outing?

I saw last week he'd shaved his head, as if he wasn't already an attractive option. Some real Paul Chapman vibes there!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't get to see it, but looks like Ted Clohesy had another solid outing?

I saw last week he'd shaved his head, as if he wasn't already an attractive option. Some real Paul Chapman vibes there!

Clohesy is almost certainly the next debut. I’m just not sure he can come in unless Atkins got injured. Similar types. He’s as hard as a cats head with a zest for tackling. His disposal is ok. That may hold him back from getting regular games unless he works on it. But there’s a lot to work with.

Clohesy is almost certainly the next debut. I’m just not sure he can come in unless Atkins got injured. Similar types. He’s as hard as a cats head with a zest for tackling. His disposal is ok. That may hold him back from getting regular games unless he works on it. But there’s a lot to work with.

Yeah I can see the similarity, however at VFL level at least Clohesy seems to have a knack of hitting the scoreboard unlike Atkins. That's a promising point of difference.

Hate to burst your bubble, Clohesy has already debut. It was against the bulldogs last year.

Maybe you were on holidays then.

The problem is we have a few of that type

Yep, we have a whole bunch of somewhat undersized blue collar inside mids who lack pace. Atkins, Parfitt, Clark, Clohesy and Bruhn all fit that description. I wouldn't want to have any more than two in the same team tbh.

Admittedly Parfitt will be off the list soon and Atkins probably only has two seasons max after this one until his usefulness to us is exhausted.

Probably... But I think Clohesy might develop into a bit of specimen and is hard at it. His skills are not poor either.

I like the look of Clohesy. Love his attitude. His skills aren’t poor but from what I’ve seen they aren’t a strength. Under AFL pressure, will the hold up?

Yep, we have a whole bunch of somewhat undersized blue collar inside mids who lack pace. Atkins, Parfitt, Clark, Clohesy and Bruhn all fit that description. I wouldn't want to have any more than two in the same team tbh.

Admittedly Parfitt will be off the list soon and Atkins probably only has two seasons max after this one until his usefulness to us is exhausted.
That’s why the club is (and we should be) desperately keen for Knevitt to make it. Apart from Bowes, he’s our only midfielder over 184cm.

Not like the days when we had Bartel, Ling and Corey all over 187cm.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back