VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Can we play another loose interceptor when we already have Stewart and to a lesser extent Humphries playing that way? I think it contributes to why we get opened up so much when the other side gets a run on. It works brilliantly when the game is on our terms but when it turns.....
I would assume we'd only do it if Stewart was on ball. Humphries also we can get to play more a Max Holmes metres gained back half role but with precision kicking rather than thoroughbred running and roosting it

Get through to week 2-3 of AFL finals and having Hawkins and Guthrie sitting in the wings having blown out the cobwebs is not the worst thing.

When you read the detail - and it is always dangerous to try and read between CS lines as he is so good at blurring them! - I think it reinforces that it is highly unlikely we see Tom nor Guthrie this year. Just too much uncertainty. Maybe if Tom kicks a bag and moves well in VFL but to me CS had a lot of “uncertain words” in his update.

It also reinforced the feeling that it is a decision between Stanley and SDK for ruck on thursday. Maybe I am looking out to confirm my view but I would be surprised (not shocked) to see them both play

I'm relieved Scott has put a line through Hawkins and Guthrie.

It's no doubt disappointing for them, but best for the team.

Sounds like the ruck position isn't a lay down misere either.

He means hes ruled them out of afl for this week only. He would consider them for the afl prelim if we get that far.

When you read the detail - and it is always dangerous to try and read between CS lines as he is so good at blurring them! - I think it reinforces that it is highly unlikely we see Tom nor Guthrie this year. Just too much uncertainty. Maybe if Tom kicks a bag and moves well in VFL but to me CS had a lot of “uncertain words” in his update.

It also reinforced the feeling that it is a decision between Stanley and SDK for ruck on thursday. Maybe I am looking out to confirm my view but I would be surprised (not shocked) to see them both play

Both should play and blicavs shouldnt but that wont happen.

COS will adapt to the position he is played
Good players use their assets to advantage
Don't wrestle is opponent is stronger... duh
Zuthrie played on stronger blokes and won.

My boy was 60mm taller and 6kg lighter
than Zuth and Ollie and played at 17yrs
Played on resting ruckmen and rovers.
Utility - played every position bar Midfield
Sent to opponent causing problem players
Moved forward in Q4 to swing the game
Regularly gave up height and weight
Relied on speed, agility and skill. 80% eff.

Midfield only position where strength crucial
Good player start elsewhere - Mid/ KP later
Will see more kids when Flag Window Shuts.
I will sell you some commas very cheap

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we lose the Port game, I wouldn't be against Hawk playing the next game, the man's been a champ for us.

Two things would have to occur to consider that - Hawkins would need to kick a bag in the VFL AND Neale would have to be poor against Port. Otherwise we need to stick to our current set up.

Two things would have to occur to consider that - Hawkins would need to kick a bag in the VFL AND Neale would have to be poor against Port. Otherwise we need to stick to our current set up.
It depends on how it happens though. Has scapegoat written all over it if we don't handle it correctly.

If we're well on top throughout the game and Neale is kicking 0.3 from easy shots, and costing us momentum, then you could consider the change in your scenario.

If it's just a game where we're never in it, and our 'stars' and senior players let us down...I'm not sure if I like the idea of making the 22 year old kid in his first final the one who has to pay the price.

It depends on how it happens though. Has scapegoat written all over it if we don't handle it correctly.

If we're well on top throughout the game and Neale is kicking 0.3 from easy shots, and costing us momentum, then you could consider the change in your scenario.

If it's just a game where we're never in it, and our 'stars' and senior players let us down...I'm not sure if I like the idea of making the 22 year old kid in his first final the one who has to pay the price.

I can't see and hope it doesn't happen. It seems the right time for Neale to be the man.

Its not underestimating talent (you didnt read my post if you thought that) its underestimating physical strength endurance and readiness.
Guys like zuthrie and dempsey can play early with slight frames as those roles arent as physically demanding as ruck where you need to be more durable.
Conway and edwards et al are simply physically not ready to lead the ruck in 2025 which means realistically we are either putting sdk there or trading in a ruck who can play there round 1 next year.
Not underestimating, it’s simply realistic to accept every player has a role + while Scott values versatility, every player has strengths + limits.
Conway was roughly a year behind in 2024 due to injury. He showed terrific promise this season, until injured again. Hopefully he’ll be healthy, strong to play some games in 2025.
Doubt we’ll trade for an established ruck in 2025. Scotty refuses to acknowledge a need for ruck players.
Seems SDK is ruck with Blitz, until Conway is fit.
Neale rucks in F50.

Or, did I misread your post?

I will sell you some commas very cheapLY

😜😉😌

FIFY 😊
tommy wiseau cheep GIF by The Room

VFL Semi Final​

Geelong v Southport
GMHBA Stadium, Geelong
11.35am AEST, Saturday September 7

In: Tom Hawkins, Cameron Guthrie, Darcy Edmends, Tanner Lovell
Out: Oisin Mullin (AFL), Mark O'Connor (Injured), Kaelan Bradtke, Kade Chalcraft

BackO. Wiltshire (21)E. Jeka (43)O. Murdoch (31)
Half BackC. O'Sullivan (14)S. De Koning (16)M. Knevitt (10)
CentreG. Stevens (15)T. Clohesy (40)M. Hardie (41)
Half ForwardP. Foster (19)D. Capiron (50)J. Willis (20)
Full ForwardG. Rohan (23)T. Hawkins (26)J. Clark (13)
RuckJ. Furphy (37)B. Parfitt (3)C. Guthrie (29)
InterchangeD. Edmends (53)T. Lovell (78)P. Hughes (64)
M. Herbert (62)L. Antonac (79)
23rd PlayerP. Hughes (64)
EmergenciesJ. Sarcevic (52)T. Murray (61)T. White (63)
K. Bradtke (48)R. Eyers (75)K. Chalcraft (58)
H. Lucas (82)J. Pike (84)

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back