VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Which team fits that description though? :think:

I can't think of any side with a midfield he'd slot into at the moment. I think the most likely scenario is his AFL career finishes up at the end of the year. Maybe he gets a spot on a rookie list somewhere if he's lucky.

West coast maybe?

The same people bashing Parfitt used to bash Varcoe, and will soon turn on Humphrey. It’s not rocket science.

Thats a very long bow to draw if youre suggesting what i think you are.

Regarding Hardie his numbers look good for today but it wasn't what i would call a game that would have him called up. He made a lot of little mistakes that would absolutely hurt way to much at AFL level and they were mistakes that were under almost no pressure when they happened.

The only player from todays game that looked like they deserved a call up anytime remotely soon was Clohesy.

Some others showed moments of goodness but that was it it was just moments.

Thats a very long bow to draw if youre suggesting what i think you are.
It’s really not. I’m not suggesting anyone commenting that Parfitt is no longer up to senior footy is a racist. But the ones who are so vitriolic are. And they used to do the same thing to Varcoe. Go back and read those posts. And, as for Parfitt, his first 8 weeks was outstanding. Even the haters begrudgingly accepted he’d turned the corner. One average game and he’s stuck in the 2’s. Yet Clark can stink it up for weeks on end. I’d be flat and disillusioned too.

That’s why the club is (and we should be) desperately keen for Knevitt to make it. Apart from Bowes, he’s our only midfielder over 184cm.

Not like the days when we had Bartel, Ling and Corey all over 187cm.
Holmes is a midfielder, and Dempsey will be too long term. If you count wingman in that group he is already.

Holmes - 190cm
Dempsey - 187cm
Knevitt - 193cm
Clark - 181cm
Bruhn - 184cm
Bowes - 189cm
B Smith? - 186cm

That doesn't look like a future midfield that's abnormally tall or small for mine, even if you throw in Clohesy too at 184cm.

Stevens balances it out even more if he makes it at 189cm.

There's not a single one of them sub 180cm, which is what 'small' actually is.

That's your Lachie Neale, Shane Crawford, Dayne Zorkyo territory where clubs will actually have question marks purely because of your height.

Anything above that is just AFL average for a midfielder, the vast majority of them are around that height.

It's a non issue IMO.

The bigger problem will be getting all of them in the gym and looking like men rather than boys, which will take a few pre-seasons, but will be worth it eventually.

It’s really not. I’m not suggesting anyone commenting that Parfitt is no longer up to senior footy is a racist. But the ones who are so vitriolic are. And they used to do the same thing to Varcoe. Go back and read those posts. And, as for Parfitt, his first 8 weeks was outstanding. Even the haters begrudgingly accepted he’d turned the corner. One average game and he’s stuck in the 2’s. Yet Clark can stink it up for weeks on end. I’d be flat and disillusioned too.

And if you read any number of review & preview threads from over the past couple of months, you’ll see regular calls for Clark to return to the VFL to work on various aspects of his game, plus the need to spend some time in the gym to build strength as there’s times where he has looked out of his depth in the seniors and just a bit boy vs man type situation

As for Parfitt, it’s not necessarily about “one average game” but rather also about team balance - one of things that’s been noticable since mid 2022 is that we’ve rarely played both Atkins & Parfitt in the same midfield because they play a similar role

Back in 2022, prior to Parfitt breaking his thumb against the Bulldogs he was our primary defensive midfielder with Atkins playing primarily as a small defender. With Parfitt out of the team, Atkins moved to the midfield & really hasn’t looked back with his form keeping Parfitt out of the team for a good portion of time. When Parfitt got his opportunity in round 2 he took his chance & held his spot, and his form was at a level which saw Atkins moved from the midfield to return to the small defender roll he had previoulsy played

The MC then made the decision to go with Mullin as the small defender option, which also saw Atkins moved back into the midfield in round 10 and a couple of less impactful games by Parfitt in rounds 9 & 10 saw him drop out of the 22 and return to the VFL. Watching Parfitt in the VFL, there’s been no doubting his intent and willingness for the contest, but not sure that’s enough to see him earn a recall, especially with how the senior midfield has started playing in recent weeks, plus knowing we have a few others to return

The only player from todays game that looked like they deserved a call up anytime remotely soon was Clohesy.

It was a messy game so hard to judge but I'm not convinced by Clohesy's cleanness. Still fumbled a bit much for mine. It's the one thing that stood out about Clark when he came back to VFL was that he had clean hands compared to the other mids.

Mullin and O'Sullivan were the 2 I think you could promote based on today. They really controlled the back half. But I don't think anyone deserves to come out so that's unlikely.

And despite only getting 10 touches I think you could be confident in Willis giving a contest and defensive hardness up forward at AFL level. But it's a tough forward line to break in to and while he showed a bit it wasn't like he bashed the door down.

It was a messy game so hard to judge but I'm not convinced by Clohesy's cleanness. Still fumbled a bit much for mine. It's the one thing that stood out about Clark when he came back to VFL was that he had clean hands compared to the other mids.

Mullin and O'Sullivan were the 2 I think you could promote based on today. They really controlled the back half. But I don't think anyone deserves to come out so that's unlikely.

And despite only getting 10 touches I think you could be confident in Willis giving a contest and defensive hardness up forward at AFL level. But it's a tough forward line to break in to and while he showed a bit it wasn't like he bashed the door down.
COS i think will be better served by waiting till next year unless we need him due to injuries.

Mullin i like but he needs to back himself and learn what he is capable of and what he isn't. I liked the fact that today he got very ambitious a few times sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't but that is exactly what he needs to figure out as he is still learning the game and that is better to do in the VFL.

Willis i liked his game to day but i want to see him string together a block of 4-6 weeks of solid form but you are correct he showed some nice things today.

I wouldn't be calling any of them up atm but Clohesy would be the first as he has showed good form for a while now.

The only changes i would make to the team next week would be

In Knevitt out Clark
And maybe swap Henry and Rohan to make sure Rohan stays in top shape

The same people bashing Parfitt used to bash Varcoe, and will soon turn on Humphrey. It’s not rocket science.
Humphrey looks really good. He won't be a whipping boy imho.

Tbh, I don't think Parfitt is that bad, it's just you need to be pretty consistent, and most clubs want a-grade mids... He's probably B or B+...

You better not be meaning me. I loved Travis.

Posted this elsewhere about him just last week.

Travis Varcoe is a wonderful person.
On two separate occasions I have happened to find his wallet.

First on the golf course, they were still playing up further ahead so it was promptly returned.

A couple years later found it again on a footpath. Handed into the football club. Recognising it was the 2nd time the same person had helped him he got me a few mates a KP corporate box for a game. Out injured at the time he spent the whole game watching it with us. Lovely fella.

While the reasons were understandable at the time, sad day when he left for Collingwood.

No connection to BP at all. Blood pressure goes up watching him and his feeble attempts at playing league football. Excels at nothing.

Brendan Parfitt

Goodbye.
Seriously cannot be in the conversation for a seniors game anymore.
25 possessions. With 10 not worth a pinch of shyte.
Makes the wrong decision more often than most.
Ted and Mitch offer more.

Yep. Can go and stink up someone else's VFL team (after they quickly see he's not AFL standard). Should be a class above this level. But despite the lesser intensity, ability and speed of everyone he still does stupid things far too often.

Last edited:
Humphrey looks really good. He won't be a whipping boy imho.

Tbh, I don't think Parfitt is that bad, it's just you need to be pretty consistent, and most clubs want a-grade mids... He's probably B or B+...

I might be harsh how I rate mids but Parf is not and can't even be a B grader and that's the problem. Like a C or worse and it's just not good enough this far into his career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clohesy is almost certainly the next debut. I’m just not sure he can come in unless Atkins got injured. Similar types. He’s as hard as a cats head with a zest for tackling. His disposal is ok. That may hold him back from getting regular games unless he works on it. But there’s a lot to work with.
Thought Clohesy was BOG yesterday. Maniacal at the ball, maniacal at the ball carrier and any oppo in his way. Got flattened by Hawks #55 ( capt) and was at bottom of pack when the brawl started after getting a few cheapies.

Way better game than Hardie IMO who had more touches. Agree Clohesy needs to improve delivery but with that said he is like PFD in that he just gets in there, gets the ball and gets it out ( no im not saying hes PFD or PFD lite)

He and Atkins are very similar and could maybe play in the same side but if any poster ever complains about a best 23 player not putting in hard enough, then Ted is your guy to replace them. And he kicks goals.

GO Catters

Initial draft pick aside, could it be : Clohesy > Clark ? Will be an interesting thing to assess in 10 years time.
Atkins Vs Clohesy would be a much closer race IMO.

Clark way more classy.

GO Catters

Holmes is a midfielder, and Dempsey will be too long term. If you count wingman in that group he is already.

Holmes - 190cm
Dempsey - 187cm
Knevitt - 193cm
Clark - 181cm
Bruhn - 184cm
Bowes - 189cm
B Smith? - 186cm

That doesn't look like a future midfield that's abnormally tall or small for mine, even if you throw in Clohesy too at 184cm.

Stevens balances it out even more if he makes it at 189cm.

There's not a single one of them sub 180cm, which is what 'small' actually is.

That's your Lachie Neale, Shane Crawford, Dayne Zorkyo territory where clubs will actually have question marks purely because of your height.

Anything above that is just AFL average for a midfielder, the vast majority of them are around that height.

It's a non issue IMO.

The bigger problem will be getting all of them in the gym and looking like men rather than boys, which will take a few pre-seasons, but will be worth it eventually.
Fair point on Holmes, but currently they’ve moved him back to half back. Who knows where they’ll settle him long term but midfield is an option.

Dempsey also definitely has the ability to be a midfielder in the future.

Stevens has good height too if he makes it.

Smith is 185cm, if he comes.

Yeah nah... u missed on Hunt both of them... 10Ace... Shannon Byrnes had his 15 minutes of fame there as well.
FFS even Kolo still makes a cameo or two.

Fair point on Holmes, but currently they’ve moved him back to half back. Who knows where they’ll settle him long term but midfield is an option.

Dempsey also definitely has the ability to be a midfielder in the future.

Stevens has good height too if he makes it.

Smith is 185cm, if he comes.
Both Holmes and the CS have consistently said, whenever they've been asked, that long term Max is an on ball player.

Regarding Hardie his numbers look good for today but it wasn't what i would call a game that would have him called up. He made a lot of little mistakes that would absolutely hurt way to much at AFL level and they were mistakes that were under almost no pressure when they happened.

Some others showed moments of goodness but that was it it was just moments.

He had 38 disposals, 8 tackles, 7 clearances and 2 goals (166 fantasy points for those that care). Hardie could have 50 and kick 10 and there'd still be posters on this board looking for an excuse to drag him down.

He had 38 disposals, 8 tackles, 7 clearances and 2 goals (166 fantasy points for those that care). Hardie could have 50 and kick 10 and there'd still be posters on this board looking for an excuse to drag him down.
Ive been pushing for Hardie to get elevated for many weeks.

I've watched a lot of the VFL games this season.

I just dont think yesterday was his best effort - his numbers were good yes - but yesterday to my eye was not his best.

Does that undo all his good work - no - but if you are asking me if yesterday gets him an AFL game id say no.

GO Catters

Ive been pushing for Hardie to get elevated for many weeks.

I've watched a lot of the VFL games this season.

I just dont think yesterday was his best effort - his numbers were good yes - but yesterday to my eye was not his best.

Does that undo all his good work - no - but if you are asking me if yesterday gets him an AFL game id say no.

GO Catters

You don't promote blokes to the AFL side based on their last performance. Hardie has put together 12 consecutive games of being either BOG or in the top 5-6 players on the field.

And this is where base stats don't tell the full story - quantity wise it looks good but what was the quality of those disposals and his impact?

To back to 2018, Tim Kelly's first season at Geelong and we're in a tight battle against the Bulldogs under the Marvel roof - the same match when Taylor had a kick after the siren to win but missed

Kelly finished with 34 disposals with about 17 of them in the last, and many were focusing on that number & raving on his last quarter. Across the match he went at 56% disposal efficiency & that dropped to around 30% in the last quarter - so while it was great he was getting his hands on the ball, he was turning over 2 out of 3 disposals & that's a more telling factor in regards to his impact

Stats in isolation don't tell the full story of a players impact - so while it's great to see Hardie get his hands on the ball, what was the quality of his involvement, because a player can have just the 15-20 disposals & a more positive impact than someone who had 30/35 disposals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back