VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Mullin is likely already out of the team for Stewart anyway, so doubt Guthrie will be replacing him

If Bews is selected it'll be too so a specific job, such as on Riolo on Thursday or maybe Papley - I wouldn't be selected Guthrie for that type of role ahead of Jed

If it was between Tuohy or Guthrie for sub, then I could see a bit more discussion but after today I'd be clearly leaning towards Tuohy. Guthrie has done some good things, but he also looks off the pace and struggled when the tempo went up as he just didn't have that next gear to go to at the moment

We could have him purely focusing on getting run into his legs over the next fortnight, but that's not going to be close to replicating the match conditioning that he needs

Watching him today, it's an easy pass on Cam for the finals series from me

No way am I taking Bews, Mullin or Tuohy over Guthrie who has played a full VFL game followed by 2 weeks of full training.

The only question to me is whether he can play a full game. Probably not so I'd have him sub and into the 22 for a grand final if we make it.

Its too risky he will have played about 1 game in 16 weeks. What do you do if you get an early injury and guthrie cant run the game out?

Knevitt's game:

39 disposals
13 clearances
10 tackles
7 inside 50s
24 contested possessions
Big preseason and he could take his game to a new level next year.

That size and motor he has is rare... but he needs to keep the foot down and improve.

Still only his 3rd year in the system so incremental improvement is certainly possible for a couple more years.

Slowly but surely?.... maybe?

I find it strange that a couple of posters have potted COS today. I would say our second best behind Knevitt. I worry about COS kicking but at AFL level he could pass it 15m sideways to Humphreys or Stewart or Zuthrie to use it. He is tall, athletic and smart so a lot to work with.

Going to be harsh but I like Clohesy. For first round picks Clarke and O Sullivan are underwhelming, to say the least. Willis, Wiltshire, Murdoch and Stevens don't look like prospects to persist with. Going to be tempting to play De koning with his ability and size I think you try to get him in somewhere but Stanley looks like he isn't going anywhere.

On SM-G998B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hard disagree on O’Sullivan. That kid has serious AFL player written all over him. Will be in side next year.

Clark has some work to do.

Last edited:
If Bews is selected it'll be too so a specific job, such as on Riolo on Thursday or maybe Papley - I wouldn't be selected Guthrie for that type of role ahead of Jed

Bews didn't play 1 on 1 with Rioli. Everyone was rotating through him depending on position. The only direct 1 on 1 shut down role was Mullin on JHF when he was forward. I'm taking Guthrie for that general small defender over Bews any day.

No way am I taking Bews, Mullin or Tuohy over Guthrie who has played a full VFL game followed by 2 weeks of full training.

The only question to me is whether he can play a full game. Probably not so I'd have him sub and into the 22 for a grand final if we make it.
I’d take any of those 3 at the moment as much as I love Guth.
Losing today pretty much ends his season now though. You cannot bring him back off 1 VFL game unless it’s an emergency.

The only way I would consider it is if we had a serious injury to a mid or if it was pissing down with rain in the prelim and we need bigger bodies in the midfield.

Hawk moved well and had the most God awful delivery of his career, which says a lot considering we kicked the ball exclusively at his ankles for periods of his time... But I still don't see Neale coming out, he's done nothing well and the fwd line is balanced and humming.
Hawk in the wings in case of injury/suspension is all I can see

Will likely be the case, but I think there is still enormous pressure on Neale.
perhaps because Tom is training hard and played VFL in the first place.
Despite "Time to say Goodbye".......Never say never in this game, with our MC....

Very little hurt factor though.
I felt Hardie played a better game
I obviously watched a different game, if you looked up the definition of no hurt factor, there would be a picture of Hardie from today next to it.
Thought it clearly showed why he hasn't cracked an AFL game, no impact at all in a big game

Bews didn't play 1 on 1 with Rioli. Everyone was rotating through him depending on position. The only direct 1 on 1 shut down role was Mullin on JHF when he was forward. I'm taking Guthrie for that general small defender over Bews any day.

Not when he's running on one lung.

He's not ready.

I’d take any of those 3 at the moment as much as I love Guth.
Losing today pretty much ends his season now though. You cannot bring him back off 1 VFL game unless it’s an emergency.

The only way I would consider it is if we had a serious injury to a mid or if it was pissing down with rain in the prelim and we need bigger bodies in the midfield.

We'd have to be desperate to consider him.

Despite "Time to say Goodbye".......Never say never in this game, with our MC....
And the MC would cop well deserved criticism if Tomma came in and played at the less than good level he was generally at in the handful of games before getting injured - would also be pretty unfair to Neale

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its too risky he will have played about 1 game in 16 weeks. What do you do if you get an early injury and guthrie cant run the game out?

This was his 6th game of football in 16.5 months, and his first game in 115 days - and it looked it because you could tell he lacked match conditioning

On Thursday night it was reported that he was meant to play VFL last weekend but was out due to covid - that may have also knocked the wind out of his sails a little

There's no doubt Cam is a class above VFL but it all comes down to match fitness & conditioning - and for all the work that can get down out on the training track, nothing truly replicates time out in the middle

Hawkins showed today that he's not an option. Neale offers far more.

Like Guthrie, we'd have to be desperate to consider him.

You would soon get sick of his arse trailing his opponent into a vacant goal.

Guthrie is a dilemma for MC. Sadly I don’t think Hawkins is.

I think Guthrie showed enough to think he is close if he has done the work, which I think he has.

Agreed on Hawkins.

Disagree on Guthrie. I think he showed a clear lack of match fitness - which is understandable - and you don't take players who can't run into a PF or GF.

Guthrie is a dilemma for MC. Sadly I don’t think Hawkins is.

I think Guthrie showed enough to think he is close if he has done the work, which I think he has.

Hawkins is done unless cameron gets injured.

Guthrie they could roll the dice as sub but i wouldnt. Hes coming from too far back like menegola in 2022.

Agreed on Hawkins.

Disagree on Guthrie. I think he showed a clear lack of match fitness - which is understandable - and you don't take players who can't run into a PF or GF.
Agreed If Cuthrie had a few more games available before a finals berth consideration, he'd absolutely be in the mix but too risky now surely?

I obviously watched a different game, if you looked up the definition of no hurt factor, there would be a picture of Hardie from today next to it.
Thought it clearly showed why he hasn't cracked an AFL game, no impact at all in a big game

I was reading a Twitter account that was posting during last weeks match and comparing Hardie with our other midfield options like Knevitt, Parfitt & Clohesy

The point there were trying to make was around Hardie struggling to step up with the intensity of VFL finals and it can help explain why he didn't get a senior debut, as senior football is another step up again

Credit to him for a few nice things in the last quarter, but thinking it's safe to say today was his last game in the hoops

Should’ve. Would’ve. Could’ve.

Should be the last of Hawkins, Rohan, Jeka, Murdoch, Parfitt and Hardie in the hoops.

Those guys have all definitely played their last game for us.

Foster might have earnt himself a 1 year deal and willis is 50/50.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL VFL 2024 - Geelong & the greater league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back