State Focus WA 2024 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

This is the most interesting time of the season in colts footy for me. The state players have or haven't caught some hype.

Now it's time for some wildcards to stand up in the latter part of the season. All the teams can still make the finals technically although it is extremely unlikely that any team can challenge Claremont. West Perth are the best chance with their outstanding crop of below agers plus some seasoned ball magnets like Jayden Rigoll, the prolific Jack Wooden and the diminutive Austin Chapman.

These are the wildcards I think/hope/speculate may catch the eye in the second part of the season in no particular order.

Jack Wooden (WP) 179cm (midfielder) Son of former WCE Josh. May not have obvious AFL athletic capacity but he finds the ball at will around stoppages and averages 22.7 disposals at colts level this season. At the very least he will be a WAFL star in the Hamish Brayshaw (EP) style.

Ryan Bizzell (PT) 191cm (forward) Has missed a lot of football due to injury but is now finally stringing some games together. Talented, mercurial Indigenous tall who reminds me of fellow Peel player Josh Draper back in 2022 when Fremantle took a chance. Draper is doing ok - Bizzell has similar qualities.

Orlando Keleman (SF) 188cm+ (utility) Started the season as a forward. He was part of the WA state 18's summer squad but didn't quite make the final list. Now playing a variety of roles. Very fine athlete - has good foot skills and is impacting matches. It's difficult to ignore players with that athletic upside.

Luke Cotellessa (SD/PSA) 183cm (midfield) I think he is a genuinely exciting mid whether that be for Trinity College or Swan Districts. Not vanilla in any way. Has flair and a hunger for the ball in the centre square. He'll be back for the Black Ducks later in the season from PSA and then the finals beckon as Swans are making a charge.

Jake Soutar (EP) 190cm+ (utility) At first I thought this guy would be a dour defender but he has become much more than that. Moved to a wing. Used his height and running ability to impact and now he is right in the guts and showing he can find the ball, run and break tackles. He will get noticed.

Toby Jones (S/PSA) 186cm (utility) Has come out of nowhere really or should I say he comes from Gibson, a small "village" North of Esperance about 12 hours drive from Perth. Electrifying in bursts either as a marking forward or hard at it mid. I don't recall him ever being in Subiaco futures squads let alone state teams. Has impressed for Scotch Collge also and will be back later in the season in the colts.

Chayse Martinson (SD) 182cm (midfielder) I've been waiting for this ball magnet to show that he has the smarts with ball in hand and also when he doesn't have ball in hand. He has clearly worked on his kicking and I must say I'm impressed. He was always the most determined mid in the comp but now he combines that with a clear mind and a much surer boot.

Lucas Ravenhill (CL) 199cm (forward) Another "at last he gets it" player. I've been waiting for him to impose himself on games and now he does and at 199cm there was never ever reason why he shouldn't. Has the size to clunk most marks when in front and is excellent at ground level for his size. To be honest (prefaced) if he maintains this form I'd say he will get drafted. Shame he left his run late.

William Akec (EP/PSA) 190cm (defender) Was a highly regarded WA state 16's player but a broken foot put paid to the last 14 or so months but is playing again. Perhaps of Ugandan heritage, he runs straight at the ball and nobody is particularly willing to get in his way when he storms out of the backline or stands under a high ball to mark. Played last week and spent most of the match in a forward pocket and chose not to go near the ball. Expecting better in the remainder of the season.

Lukas Jakovich (PT) 180cm (forward) Reminds me more of Allen than Glenn. A true showman, has flair and a knack for kicking goals out of nowhere. Every defence in the colts is wary of him. What can he do in the second part of the season. Has the pedigree of course.

Jezurahn Balacky (CL) 176cm (forward) Indigenous left footer with tremendous evasive skills, a nice boot and a willingness to compete and not do the flashy things although he can and often does. I wonder if the scouts have noticed him yet. I reckon they have.
So Lukas is son of Glen, or Allan?

Yeah I’m a big fan of what I have seen, seems to be a player that is made for AFL footy. He’s like a Bailey Fritsch that can also go into the midfield and get 30.
Agree. Said it before. Feel like Davis is going to be the biggest surprise out of WA in relation to how high he goes. Versatile player with genuine AFL traits. Good speed for his size and elite endurance. From games I have watched him play he just seems to outwork all of his opponents.

WAFL Colts game of the round

It's been a distressing and heartbreaking week for everybody who supports South Fremantle and the WAFL colts competition. I don't want to go into the details. We all know the details. I feel a terrible sadness but I don't truly know or understand the pain for those involved. It's too big to comprehend. I send my best wishes to everybody who are personally affected.

South Fremantle have decided that this match against Subiaco will go ahead as per this statement.

"The Campo Family and our Colts Squad have communicated a strong desire for the game to proceed, in tribute to Nick and in support of teammate Tyler Rowe, who is still fighting in hospital."

It will be a fine tribute with a minute of silence observed by all at the ground and no doubt those watching online from near and afar.

The only time I know of an incident such as this in the WAFL was in 1963 when Rod Newton and Merv Screaigh, league players from Subiaco, were killed in a car crash during the season.

South and Subi play against each other tomorrow.

As unimportant as the result is in the grand scheme of things, it has to be talked about.

South Fremantle need a win to keep their slim hopes of making the finals possible. Subiaco would appear to be safe in the finals but a slip up here would put that in jeopardy as they finish the season playing Perth (5th), Swan Districts (4th), West Perth (3rd) and Claremont (1st).

Some fine players to keep an eye out for in the stream. (SF) Toby Whan*, Mitchell Geier+, Orlando Keleman, Fred Rodriguez*, Tom.Bell, Millar Rank**, Hudson Pivac, Joshua Louthean+ (SF), Zane Triscari

(S) Charlie Burke, Malakai Champion, Kieren Douglas+, Xavier Hickey, Wesley Walley Jnr*, Travis Shearer+, Max McCullough*, Toby Jones, Regan Mott+, Frazer Rickson**

South Fremantle v Subiaco at Fremantle Oval, Saturday, July 20, 9.00am WA/11.00am Vic live stream https://streamer.com.au/match/3746

Team Lists
+ = overager
** = below ager

South Fremantle M V Ave G
3-Zane Triscari (SF) 10 4 0.40 1
4-Mitchell Geier+ (SF) 9 41 4.55 8
5-Toby Whan** (SF) 5 19 3.80 2
6-Orlando Keleman (SF) 10 37 3.70 5
7-Fred Rodriguez** (SF) 5 35 7.00 1
8-Matthew May** (SF) 1 - ---- -
9-Ryda Luke** (SF) 3 - ---- 2
11-Sam Irving (SF) 7 6 0.85 -
12-Jacob Donald** (SF) 10 9 0.90 3
17-Harrison Heaton** (SF) 2 - ---- 1
18-Kyle Brestovac (SF) 6 - ---- -
19-Aidan Harvey+ (SF) 9 - ---- 1
20-Macsen Williams (SF) 2 - ---- -
21-Max Thomas** (SF) 8 6 0.75 -
22-Caed Luff** (SF) - - ---- -
24-Rhys Mercer** (SF) 1 - ---- 1
26-Ben Thomas+ (SF) - - ---- -
27-Toby Quartermaine (SF) - - ---- -
28-Tom.Bell (SF) 7 13 1.85 -
29-Millar Rank** (SF) 8 28 3.50 1
30-Joshua Louthean+ (SF) 6 3 0.50 -
31-Charlie McIntosh+ (SF) 7 - ---- -
32-Lucas Cattalini** (SF) 9 9 1.00 6
37-Logan Finlayson** (SF) - - ---- -
43-Hudson Pivac (SF) 5 13 2.60 8
49-Hayden Eades (SF) - - ---- -
V
Subiaco M V Ave G
1-Charlie Burke (S) 7 30 4.28 3
2-Aven Drewett (S) 9 20 2.22 3
3-Malakai Champion (S) 5 13 2.60 7
4-Kieren Douglas+ (S) 2 8 4.00 -
5-Hayden Windsor (S) 11 11 1.00 -
7-Max Sarre+ (S) 4 - ---- 2
9-Jayden Schmidt** (S) - - ---- -
10-Nic Multari (S) 10 14 1.40 1
11-Tom MacGillivray (S) 11 21 1.90 3
12-Lucas Santich** (S) 11 9 0.81 2
13-Braden Gostlow (S) 6 - ---- -
19-Finley Henderson (S) 11 15 1.36 16
21-Xavier Hickey (S) 10 31 3.10 1
22-Hudson Walker** (S) 11 19 1.72 1
24-Darcy.Moore (S) 5 5 1.00 -
25-Isaac Billing** (S) 1 - ---- -
28-Wesley Walley Jnr** (S) 10 10 1.00 11
29-Dylan Prance** (S) 5 4 0.80 -
30-Travis Shearer+ (S) 4 10 2.50 -
32-Regan Mott+ (S) 11 12 1.09 2
33-Ben Steinmann+ (S) 4 13 3.25 3
36-Rydn Rae Anthonysz** (S) 8 7 0.87 5
37-Max McCullough** (S) 1 6 6.00 -
38-Frazer Rickson** (S) 11 23 2.09 -
43-Sonny Siano (S) 5 11 2.20 6
45-Toby Jones (S) 2 4 2.00 2

Last edited:
2006 DOB/2024 Draft/WA 18's contenders in colts/PSA Round 16 update
1=Kayle Gerreyn (WP)
1=Bo Allan (PT)
3=Luke Urquhart (EF/PSA)
3=Hamish Davis (CL)

5-Hugh Boxshall (CL/PSA)
6-Malakai Champion (S)
7-Luke Cotellessa (SD/PSA)

8-Cody Angove (CL)
9-Charlie Burke (S)
10-Clancy Dennis (CL/PSA)
11-William Akec (EP/PSA)
12-Lucas Ravenhill (CL)

13-Jaxon Artemis (SF/PSA)
14-Ryan Bizzell (PT)
15-Loch MacTaggart (P/PSA)
16-Austin Van Der Struyf (CL)
17-Andre Gulluni (EP)
18-Darcy Petersen (PT)
19-Robert Warrell (P)
20-William Hayes (CL/Inj-NA)
21-Cooper Moore (P)
22-Chayse Martinson (SD)
23-Jack Wooden (WP)
24-Otis Harvey (SD)
25-Colby McDonald (SD)
26-Orlando Keleman (SF)
27-Deian Roberts (PT)
28-Jaxon Douglas (CL)
29-Trent Hiscock (WP)
30-Jayden Rigoll (WP)
31-Thomas Cathcart (SD)
32-Declan Pauline (EF)
33-Tom.Bell (SF)
34-Toby Jones (S/PSA)

35-Koopa Walsh (S)
36-Tom Smedley (PT)
37-Xavier Hickey (S)
38-Jaden Funazzi (PT)
39-Jake Soutar (EP)
40-Lukas Jakovich (PT)
41-Hudson Pivac (SF)
42-Hayden Windsor (S)
43-Jesse Grant (PT)
44-Preston Cherry-Bayles (P/PSA)

45-Harrison Creighton (SD)
46-Tore Nelson (S/PSA)
47-Ned Reiger (SD/PSA)
48-Ashton Warner (EF/PSA)
49-Liam Cooley (P)
50=Bailey Morgan (EF/PSA)
50=Jezurahn Balacky (CL)

50=Anthony Hansen (SD)

NA-Joseph Hopkyns (CL/Inj)
NA-Max Burbury (CL/PSA/Inj)
NA-Kindrael Hooker (EF/Inj)
NA-Jye Sander (EF/Inj)

Others To Keep an Eye on: Carlos Partington (SD), Elijah Huddlestone (SD), Jake Austin (EF), Riley Longson (EP/PSA), Liam Hrarbar (SD), James Meszaros (P/PSA), Tre Healey (SF), Max Donnelly (EP)

Note: I would have Taj Stanley (P) somewhere between 35-50 in the WA list but he is an Allies player from NT. A very handy forward.

Overagers to keep an eye on: (Potentially will play colts 2024)

1-Max Rohr (CL)
2-Bailey.Banfield (CL)
3-Aiden Riddle (CL)
4-Evan Smith (SD)
5-Jett Sibosado (CL)

6-Sullivan Moody (CL)
7-Cuba Garlett (PT)
8-Adam De Masi (EP)
9-Kieren Douglas (S)

10-Cruz Woodley (SD)
11-Zaid Buckland (SD)

12-Kobe Austin (EF)
13-Presley Campbell (EF)
14-Zac Petersen (EF)
15-Elijah Stockden (EF)
16-Campbell Knox (CL)

17-Jack Eastaugh (EF)
18-Max York (SD)

19-Lucas Naylies-Pereira (EP/Inj-NA)
20-Liam Clarke (P/Inj-NA)

Others to keep an eye on: Brodie McLean (P), Aidan Harvey (SF), Mitchell Keene (P), Oliver Martin (WP), Hamish Brogan (CL), Regan Mott (S), Austin Chapman (WP), Clay Michael (CL)

Votes
+ = over age
** = below age
*** = 2008 DOB
Leader Board Games Votes Ave Goals
Cooper Moore (P) 5 54 10.80 1
Preston Cherry-Bayles (P) 2 17 8.50 -
Kayle Gerreyn (WP) 7 55 7.85 9
Bo Allan (PT) 2 15 7.50 1
Luke Urquhart (EF) 3 22 7.33 4
Bailey.Banfield+ (CL) 6 42 7.00 7
Hugh Boxshall (CL) 5 34 6.80 2
Luke Cotellessa (SD) 5 34 6.80 1
Fred Rodriguez** (SF) 6 40 6.67 1
Kobe Austin+ (EF) 2 12 6.00 7
Leo Steed*** (SD) 1 6 6.00 -
Adam De Masi+ (EP) 10 56 5.60 3
Jack Wooden (WP) 12 67 5.58 5
Declan Pauline (EF) 11 61 5.54 3
Austin Van Der Struyf (CL) 7 38 5.42 3
Jadd Hill** (P) 7 36 5.14 2
Otis Harvey (SD) 11 56 5.09 10
Hamish Davis (CL) 8 40 5.00 14
Blake Kelly** (SD) 4 20 5.00 1
Max Burbury (CL) 3 15 5.00 3
Jake Boniwell** (EF) 3 15 5.00 2
Kindrael Hooker (EF) 2 10 5.00 4
Elijah Stockden+ (EF) 13 62 4.76 4
Evan Smith+ (SD) 4 19 4.75 -
Sam Swadling** (WP) 10 47 4.70 10
Tye Kemp+ (PT) 11 51 4.63 5
Mitchell Geier+ (SF) 10 43 4.30 12
Austin Chapman+ (WP) 10 43 4.30 6
Jett Sibosado+ (CL) 12 50 4.16 3
Dale Sutherland** (P) 6 25 4.16 -
Luke Hallett** (EP) 5 20 4.00 3
Darcy Petersen (PT) 3 12 4.00 -
Andre Gulluni (EP) 10 39 3.90 3
Jayden Rigoll (WP) 8 31 3.87 1
Charlie Burke (S) 8 30 3.75 3
Loch MacTaggart (P) 4 15 3.75 -
Sullivan Moody+ (CL) 11 41 3.72 3
Tyler Rowe (SF) 9 33 3.67 -
Carlos Partington (SD) 3 11 3.67 9
Presley Campbell+ (EF) 3 11 3.67 1
Kieren Douglas+ (S) 3 11 3.67 -
William Akec (EP) 3 11 3.67 -
Tom Smedley (PT) 10 36 3.60 5
Travis Shearer+ (S) 5 18 3.60 -
Robert Warrell (P) 11 39 3.54 31
Jaden Funazzi (PT) 10 35 3.50 5
Jude Axford+ (PT) 10 35 3.50 1
Mitch Roche (S) 2 7 3.50 -
Millar Rank** (SF) 9 31 3.44 1
Codan Daddow+ (WP) 5 17 3.40 3
Chayse Martinson (SD) 8 27 3.37 4
Aiden Riddle+ (CL) 8 27 3.37 1
Jaxon Douglas (CL) 8 27 3.37 -
Orlando Keleman (SF) 11 37 3.36 5
Toby Whan** (SF) 6 20 3.33 2
Marcus Cassidy** (EP) 3 10 3.33 7
Jye Sander (EF) 5 16 3.20 1

Leading Goal Scorers M G
Robert Warrell (P) 11 31
Judd Marcello** (WP) 12 24
Lucas Ravenhill (CL) 12 22
Finley Henderson (S) 12 19
Colby McDonald (SD) 9 18
Kayle Sherwood (WP) 12 16
Rory Luscombe (CL) 10 15
Hamish Davis (CL) 8 14
Koopa Walsh (S) 9 14
Lukas Jakovich (PT) 10 14
Adam Sandrini (SD) 10 13
Mitchell Geier+ (SF) 10 12
Luke Pynes+ (CL) 10 12
Taj Forrest+ (EF) 7 11
Jessie Hollins (SD) 9 11
Joshua Nomlatyu** (EF) 11 11
Wesley Walley Jnr** (S) 11 11
Sam Swadling** (WP) 10 10
Otis Harvey (SD) 11 10
Angus Motherwell (EP) 12 10
Carlos Partington (SD) 3 9
Darcy Montgomery** (S) 5 9
Kayle Gerreyn (WP) 7 9
Taj Stanley (P) 7 9

Last edited:
I'm back with more updates on Chapman, it seems to be looking positive for him in draft considerations for November.

He did indeed miss the first game of the season but he returned in Round 2 v Perth. Between R2 and his brief callup to the Reserves in R9 and R10, he had 83 disposals and scored 4.1 at pocket forward. His stint with the Reserves saw him nab 19 disposals and 0.1 in two games. Since his return to the Colts, he has been what can only be described as being on a tear, racking up 76 disposals in 4 games and scoring 1.1 in that time.

As I understand it, West Perth intends for him to join their League side at some point this season, towards the back end is most likely. His performance in the Colts has certainly been outstanding so far, and while a lack of playing time in the Reserves is not indicative fully of the playing achievements he can portray, there is some optimisim at Joondalup that he could contribute greatly, and with disposal numbers like these, it's not hard to see how.

I'm also hearing numerous clubs have contacted him in the past couple of months and conducted interviews. North and GWS are the clubs floating around that are interested in him, I would not be surprised in the slightest if GWS pulls a Phoenix Gothard and possibly drafts Chapman a lot higher than he's projected.

That's that so far. Any other updates that come through will come in, but as an overager he'll be under pressure from the 06 class to prove his worth and perform as best as possible.

Like Caleb Daniel, they're hard to rate long term.
I don't know where to place him mate. Surely no club would draft a 170cm midfielder. A small forward with electrifying pace for sure....particularly if the are magical/Indigenous or William Hayes or Cody Angove.

Hats off to PMBangers for selecting Hayes (CL). I didn't have the guts to place him so high.

If players are genuine draft prospects, at this time of the season, I would think they would be playing in the WAFL Reserves and being considered for League selection? Time to move on from Colts teams who are now providing the opportunity for new talent to play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If players are genuine draft prospects, at this time of the season, I would think they would be playing in the WAFL Reserves and being considered for League selection? Time to move on from Colts teams who are now providing the opportunity for new talent to play.
Completely agree. In this draft class though it seems a lot of the at-agers are playing Colts, only a couple are up at Reserves level preparing for League. It's more the overagers at that Reserves stage...

It doesn't work like that anymore and hasn't for about 7-10 years - clubs will try to maximise player chances of getting drafted and reserves never really figures in that equation, and increasingly seniors as well. Playing seniors and getting smashed / expose weaknesses is actually likely to see you get drafted less high up the order, so most clubs do it very cautiously and only if the player has a mature body at the very least.

For example, the only first year draftee (excluding mature agers like Humphries) from last year that I can think of that played reserves was Tholstrup, and he played reserves after playing seniors and being dropped dow.. Curtin and Hall played League after playing Colts. The rest of them (Collard, Fonti, Zakotelsky and O'Driscoll) played Colts only.

The year before that the majority of WA draftees again only played Colts - the only one I can think of off the top of my head that played other levels was Hewett.

It doesn't work like that anymore and hasn't for about 7-10 years - clubs will try to maximise player chances of getting drafted and reserves never really figures in that equation, and increasingly seniors as well. Playing seniors and getting smashed / expose weaknesses is actually likely to see you get drafted less high up the order, so most clubs do it very cautiously and only if the player has a mature body at the very least.

For example, the only first year draftee (excluding mature agers like Humphries) from last year that I can think of that played reserves was Tholstrup, and he played reserves after playing seniors and being dropped dow.. Curtin and Hall played League after playing Colts. The rest of them (Collard, Fonti, Zakotelsky and O'Driscoll) played Colts only.

The year before that the majority of WA draftees again only played Colts - the only one I can think of off the top of my head that played other levels was Hewett.
A good example of your point about the ressies was Mitch Edwards last season. He was considered a pretty solid first round pick candidate early, played a couple of Colts games and dominated. Had a solid champs run including an excellent game against Ethan Read. Then post champs he played exclusively WAFL reserves for the rest of the season and kinda disappeared off the radar, sliding dramatically down the draft order.

A good example of your point about the ressies was Mitch Edwards last season. He was considered a pretty solid first round pick candidate early, played a couple of Colts games and dominated. Had a solid champs run including an excellent game against Ethan Read. Then post champs he played exclusively WAFL reserves for the rest of the season and kinda disappeared off the radar, sliding dramatically down the draft order.
Hopefully Gerreyn doesn't follow that path then.

I remember going to a Claremont post match in their members some years back. I looked around their social club. There were triangle shaped WAFL pennants around the walls and attached to the ceiling. It must have been more than 50 Colts, ressies and league flags attached to any part of the social club where there was space enough.

It was a bit of an eye opener. I don't know if it's still set up that way with the re-development?

But when a club gets a GF win in colts against the Monts, it is a big moment.

Does anybody see it happening this year? I don't really. West Perth, Swan Districts and Perth are building. Subi don't have a strong midfield and are likely to slip to 4th or 5th - despite their mercurial forward line with Malakai, Walley Jnr, Darcy Montgomery, big Finley Henderson, Koopa Walsh and Sonny Siano. If Subi had one player, amid gun like say a Declan Pauline, they might challenge.

And mate, there's still the pride of getting one of those WAFL premiership pennants. A colts flag is nothing to be sneezed at. Somebody has to challenge Claremont or it's going to be a dull colts grand final.
Considering WP have no chance making league or ressie finals, they have no choice but leaving Gerreyn in the colts...but TBH Cl have that colts flag in the bag.....too much depth in that age group....especially once the PSA stuff finishes.

Gerreryn has only played Colts? Perhaps Bo Allan? I think recruiters would like to see how players go against the more experienced bigger bodies.
Most of the Victorian footballers don't play senior level footy, so I doubt it is an issue.
Talls certainly should not be judged by playing against physically stronger men. In saying that Gerreyn is a large unit and might be able to handle that level of footy.

Considering WP have no chance making league or ressie finals, they have no choice but leaving Gerreyn in the colts...but TBH Cl have that colts flag in the bag.....too much depth in that age group....especially once the PSA stuff finishes.

I remember going to a Claremont post match in their members some years back. I looked around their social club. There were triangle shaped WAFL pennants around the walls and attached to the ceiling. It must have been more than 50 Colts, ressies and league flags attached to any part of the social club where there was space enough.

It was a bit of an eye opener. I don't know if it's still set up that way with the re-development?

But when a club gets a GF win in colts against the Monts, it is a big moment.

Does anybody see it happening this year? I don't really. West Perth, Swan Districts and Perth are building. Subi don't have a strong midfield and are likely to slip to 4th or 5th - despite their mercurial forward line with Malakai, Walley Jnr, Darcy Montgomery, big Finley Henderson, Koopa Walsh and Sonny Siano. If Subi had one player, amid gun like say a Declan Pauline, they might challenge.
Don’t sleep on Subi’s midfield. Led by Regan Mott. They are second for a reason and if Mott can step up and be the leader of the midfield like he was on the weekend with 24 impactful disposals and a goal, I think they can give Claremont a fright.

Remove this Banner Ad

State Focus WA 2024 - Western Australia’s junior footy talent

Remove this Banner Ad

Back