Toast Warren Tredrea - Elected to the Port Board (Football discussion only)

Remove this Banner Ad

Imagine being a Victorian football journalist and choosing Ken Hinkley as your hill to die on. It's ****ing bizarre.

For her, it’s such a low risk / high reward thing. If this backfires, she’ll pretend it never happened, and everyone will move on. It’s unfair, but true.

For her, it’s such a low risk / high reward thing. If this backfires, she’ll pretend it never happened, and everyone will move on. It’s unfair, but true.
I’m expecting her to have an article in The Age tomorrow. Let’s see.

Warren says "untenable", we immediately proceed to win 13 in a row.

Warren says" good call", we drop Jed McEntee.

He's got more out of Hinkley from three words than Koch, Richardson, and Davies have got by throwing circa $8M at him over the past decade.

God forbid if they remove his director's gag, Hinkely'll win a premiership.

Warren says "untenable", we immediately proceed to win 13 in a row.

Warren says" good call", we drop Jed McEntee.

He's got more out of Hinkley from three words than Koch, Richardson, and Davies have got by throwing circa $8M at him over the past decade.

God forbid if they remove his director's gag, Hinkely'll win a premiership.
Guess where 13 in a row gets us this year. Imagine the conflict in all of us.

Imagine being a Victorian football journalist and choosing Ken Hinkley as your hill to die on. It's ****ing bizarre.

The groupthink on it is wild.

Everyone from mainstream doyens like Whateley, Wilson and Barrett, to younger voices at ESPN, to wannabes on The Roar, to fledgling podcasters fresh from spending a gift voucher at Tandy, all regurgitating “60%! 60%!” and condemning Port fans as orcs of Middle Earth.

Grant Thomas and David King aside, there’s virtually no alternate discourse coming from anywhere.

Meanwhile, everyone from Ross Lyon to Luke Beveridge to Alastair Clarkson to Simon Goodwin to Matthew Nicks is hugely polarising for whatever reason.

Make it make sense.

The board only has legitimacy if they can pretend they have the support of the members. If we make enough of a fuss for long enough the AFL won't like the booing and we'll force change.

Port Adelaide needs you to stay home on home games, but if you have to go, boo. Boo for your club.
We will still need to decide what our best strategy is.

We will still need to decide what our best strategy is.

We need a few here to have an actual meeting with Tredrea, Benny D, etc. We need to sort out who else can we trust within the club. We need names we must sought outside of the club. We need to come up with plans for members and fans to help.

Then, from there, we go on.

The board dont want Tredders out. They know he is the only one who has the footy knowledge of a player. And that they cant knife him. The fans will lead a revolution.

Its management that want Tredders out. Management have been given the real power. They get paid for their jobs, board members dont. Warren is pressuring them.

Ken and CD are attached at the hip. CD has recommended Ken for every extension of his conttact be it under KT or Richo. Those 2 are on speed dial to Caro and the Vic footy media mafia.
So unprofessional.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tredrea vs. Caro this evening struck me as an unnecessarily combative conversation that would've done nothing to shift opinions one way or the other. A lot of that can be attributed to Tredrea's evident frustration at what he perceives as Caro and VicMedia running with a sensationalist story seeking to drum up controversy regarding his position on the board, specifically by failing to credit his subsequent clarification of his initial "Good Call" comment.

The record from the Footy Classified segment complicates both Tredrea's criticism and also Caro's protestations, in that both she and other panellists on Footy Classified did acknowledge on more than one occasion that Tredrea subsequently "walked back" (their description) his initial comment, they just didn't allow that clarification to shape the underlying story of "a club divided". And to fair, that is the story from VicMedia's perspective, and there is a great deal of truth to it. Specific details about exactly what Tredrea said on air and what he meant and how those things relate to his formal responsibilities as a board member are just grist for the mill. It's entirely understandable that Tredrea would resent his words being used in this manner, i.e. in service of a sensationalist narrative likely fed by club figures on the other side of the divide, but to a certain extent that's what journalists like Caro are there for. Rowie of all people actually seemed to grasp that himself in his comments following Tredrea and Caro's conversation this evening.

The question for Tredrea isn't if he is allowed to feel pissed off about how this unfolded, but about how best to present his perspective and in doing so serve and protect his dual roles as a both a member of the board and an authentic voice with an influential media platform. I don't think that taking the "**** you, Caro" approach to their interview this afternoon was the best way to accomplish that, in that I don't think it would've helped put anyone into Tredrea's corner who wasn't already there. To a certain extent they're both victims of the format, with Rowie adding fuel to the fire between them, but nonetheless I do think it could've been handled better.

In Tredrea's shoes, I would've gone with something like this:

1) I did not endorse what the caller said. I replied "Good Call" to briefly acknowledge the caller as is standard radio practice, and because the caller made a coherent and concise argument. It's not my job to endorse or reject a caller's comments or to police their emotional expressions. I'm here to listen and to facilitate a conversation for the benefit of our audience and our advertisers. From that perspective it was a Good Call and I acknowledged it as such.

2) After being alerted by Matthew Richardson that figures in the media were innocently or deliberately misinterpreting my comment, I volunteered to clarify further and did so before Footy Classified went to air.

3) I'm disappointed that you and the Footy Classified team chose to ignore my clarification and instead ran with a sensationalist, muckraking story without even bothering to seek comment from me as is standard practice for responsible journalism. For the record, Caro, there is no divide at the club because we are all united in pursuing a pathway to success.

P.S. About ten minutes after the interview with Caro had concluded, Rowie said that she had called back in and seemed about to put her on air again, yet that didn't actually happen. I wonder what happened there.

Last edited:
It struck me as an unnecessarily combative conversation that would've done nothing to shift opinions one way or the other. A lot of that can be attributed to Tredrea's evident frustration at what he perceives as Caro and VicMedia running with a sensationalist story seeking to drum up controversy regarding his position on the board, specifically by failing to credit his subsequent clarification of his initial "Good Call" comment.

The record from the Footy Classified segment complicates both Tredrea's criticism and also Caro's protestations, in that both she and other panellists on Footy Classified did acknowledge on more than one occasion that Tredrea subsequently "walked back" (their description) his initial comment, they just didn't allow that clarification to shape the underlying story of "a club divided". And to fair, that is the story from VicMedia's perspective, and there is a great deal of truth to it.

Specific details about exactly what Tredrea said on air and what he meant and how those things relate to his formal responsibilities as a board member are just grist for the mill. It's entirely understandable that Tredrea would resent his words being used in this manner, i.e. in service of a sensationalist narrative likely fed by club figures on the other side of the divide, but to a certain extent that's what journalists like Caro are there for. Rowie of all people actually seemed to grasp that himself in his comments following Tredrea and Caro's conversation this evening.

The question for Tredrea isn't if he is allowed to feel pissed off about how this unfolded, but about how best to present his perspective and in doing so serve and protect his dual roles as a both a member of the board and an authentic voice with an influential media platform. I don't think that taking the "**** you, Caro" approach to their interview this afternoon was the best way to accomplish that, in that I don't think it would've helped put anyone into Tredrea's corner who wasn't already there. To a certain extent they're both victims of the format, with Rowie adding fuel to the fire between them, but nonetheless I do think it could've been handled better.

Here is what I would've gone with:

1) I did not endorse what the caller said. I replied "Good Call" to briefly acknowledge the caller as is standard radio practice, and because the caller made a coherent argument. It's not my job to endorse or reject a caller's comments. I'm here to listen and to facilitate a conversation for the benefit of our audience and our advertisers, and from that perspective it was a Good Call and I acknowledged it as such.

2) After being alerted by Matthew Richardson that figures in the media were innocently or deliberately misinterpreting my comment, I volunteered to clarify further and did so before Footy Classified went to air.

3) I'm disappointed that you and the Footy Classified team chose to ignore my clarification and instead ran with a sensationalist story without even bothering to seek comment from me as is standard practice for responsible journalism. For the record, there is no divide in the club because we are all united in pursuing a pathway to success,
I think what you've said there is pretty much what he was trying to say too, but every time he tried to talk she just kept talking over him and arguing. I think he did very well getting his point across and not just losing his temper with her. I thought he stood his ground well without being rude. That’s more than I could have done. And the reason it ended up being combative was entirely her doing from the very first words she started with.

This club is a disgrace. I'm not sure if I could ever go back unless all currently involved were given the boot.
What a toxic shithole this once great club has become.
Excepts from an earlier thread.

describes my feelings 10 times worse now.

Choco is just rolling out the Port Adelaide memorabilia he owns, talking about growing up at the club and all the success. You wonder what he and Jack make of what we have become.
There's five or six clips with Jack and Choco on TFB's X account, if you missed the program...

I was sitting, watching, smiling…. And realise, I miss my club, the one I grew up with.

Tredrea vs. Caro this evening struck me as an unnecessarily combative conversation that would've done nothing to shift opinions one way or the other. A lot of that can be attributed to Tredrea's evident frustration at what he perceives as Caro and VicMedia running with a sensationalist story seeking to drum up controversy regarding his position on the board, specifically by failing to credit his subsequent clarification of his initial "Good Call" comment.

The record from the Footy Classified segment complicates both Tredrea's criticism and also Caro's protestations, in that both she and other panellists on Footy Classified did acknowledge on more than one occasion that Tredrea subsequently "walked back" (their description) his initial comment, they just didn't allow that clarification to shape the underlying story of "a club divided". And to fair, that is the story from VicMedia's perspective, and there is a great deal of truth to it. Specific details about exactly what Tredrea said on air and what he meant and how those things relate to his formal responsibilities as a board member are just grist for the mill. It's entirely understandable that Tredrea would resent his words being used in this manner, i.e. in service of a sensationalist narrative likely fed by club figures on the other side of the divide, but to a certain extent that's what journalists like Caro are there for. Rowie of all people actually seemed to grasp that himself in his comments following Tredrea and Caro's conversation this evening.

1) I did not endorse what the caller said. I replied "Good Call" to briefly acknowledge the caller as is standard radio practice, and because the caller made a coherent and concise argument. It's not my job to endorse or reject a caller's comments or to police their emotional expressions. I'm here to listen and to facilitate a conversation for the benefit of our audience and our advertisers. From that perspective it was a Good Call and I acknowledged it as such.

3) I'm disappointed that you and the Footy Classified team chose to ignore my clarification and instead ran with a sensationalist, muckraking story without even bothering to seek comment from me as is standard practice for responsible journalism. For the record, Caro, there is no divide at the club because we are all united in pursuing a pathway to success.

P.S. About ten minutes after the interview with Caro had concluded, Rowie said that she had called back in and seemed about to put her on air again, yet that didn't actually happen. I wonder what happened there.
nothing wrong with Tredrea's behaviour defending something that didn't need defending at all, and Rowe was a useful agitator in that

certainly didn't need a thesis from you to tell him how he could've done things differently lol

I think what you've said there is pretty much what he was trying to say too, but every time he tried to talk she just kept talking over him and arguing. I think he did very well getting his point across and not just losing his temper with her. I thought he stood his ground well without being rude. That’s more than I could have done. And the reason it ended up being combative was entirely her doing from the very first words she started with.
She was baiting him, in the way the press do. There's no consequence for them if someone bites. It just means a bigger story.

Nah, fück that. Adding more fuel to the fire is exactly what's needed to smoke our cowardly leaders out of hiding and make them squirm.

Listened to the 5AA segment with Caro

Tbh not Tredrea’s best. Should have played it down and brushed it off. He let his emotions get to him arguing over his “clarification” which in the scheme of things is pretty marginal

Anyway, sack Hinkley

Listened to the 5AA segment with Caro

Tbh not Tredrea’s best. Should have played it down and brushed it off. He let his emotions get to him arguing over his “clarification” which in the scheme of things is pretty marginal

Anyway, sack Hinkley

Anyone who's listened to him for long enough knows he isn't the greatest master media wordsmith of all time.

Thats not what we've got him to be, and good on him for pushing back, which is what we've got him for.

She was baiting him, in the way the press do. There's no consequence for them if someone bites. It just means a bigger story.
She almost came across like someone who has dobbed a schoolmate in to the teacher and is sitting back laughing while they get detention.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back