List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 2096798

Port took Josh Sinn with the pick we traded to them

From that list I think Wilmot is the one I’d most like followed by Lohmann

The rest haven’t done that much to suggest Chesser is a bust in comparison to who we might have picked

Leek Aleer would be pretty handy for us right now. Van Rooyen probably has claims to being the best performed of that list but would probably be surplus for us

I still rate Johnson too who really was the obvious pick.

Still reckon there might be something there with Chesser but admittedly not holding my breath

Reckon he'd be a bust since I learned he barely played in his draft year. Just a classic dumb Pie Man decision thinking missing all that development wouldn't matter and that our development team of incompetents would be able to make up for it.

But I'll happily line up for a big serve of humble pie if he pulls a Shep/Waterman (although I always rated Waterman). Hopefully a new coach can do for Chesser what Simmo did for Shep and Gov.

I would take Johnson 10/10 times before I would take Chesser.

Johnson is the developing midfielder we could really do with now. I don’t see Chesser ever becoming a midfielder.
He can’t find the ball.

His best chance of making an AFL career is as a HB but I won’t be holding my breath.

We probably should’ve taken Johnson - seemed the obvious choice at the time so I’m not arguing that point

I will say though, that I’m not convinced had we drafted Johnson he’d be showing much more with us than Chesser has so far

We probably should’ve taken Johnson - seemed the obvious choice at the time so I’m not arguing that point

I will say though, that I’m not convinced had we drafted Johnson he’d be showing much more with us than Chesser has so far
Agreed about where Johnson might or might not be with us.

Many voices, including Snake Waterman’s dad on ABC radio indicating a development shortcoming at the club.

Reckon he'd be a bust since I learned he barely played in his draft year. Just a classic dumb Pie Man decision thinking missing all that development wouldn't matter and that our development team of incompetents would be able to make up for it.

But I'll happily line up for a big serve of humble pie if he pulls a Shep/Waterman (although I always rated Waterman). Hopefully a new coach can do for Chesser what Simmo did for Shep and Gov.
Sheppard was excellent in his first year imo then had some injury concerns before he came good. Waterman always had this in him but was yet another Simpson casualty. Agree Chesser looks like a bust but fingers crossed I'm wrong

Many voices, including Snake Waterman’s dad on ABC radio indicating a development shortcoming at the club.
Half way through this season Waterman was right up in the Coleman and when asked about it Simpson was almost petulant. Had this snarky "who knew, but we don't expect this from him long term" response. Sure enough as soon as Allen returned he pushed Snake off to the side again.

Half way through this season Waterman was right up in the Coleman and when asked about it Simpson was almost petulant. Had this snarky "who knew, but we don't expect this from him long term" response. Sure enough as soon as Allen returned he pushed Snake off to the side again.
I think Simpson lost his way in the Covid and post Covid years.

He looked very stressed and anxious, like the job or something had become too much for him.

Reckon the kid needs a pre-season as a HBF.
He is a decent height, decent tackle and has the athletic attributes and kicking skills for the role.

He really struggles with reading the play and staying involved and running patterns are probably easiest to learn off the hbf, where you have the benefit of having the whole game in front of you to learn from.

Reckon he’s got a good athletic profile as well to just follow somebody around until he learns to football.

Don’t have high hopes but reckon he’s a chance of coming on in that role quite well in a similar way to Sheppard.

That was a disgusting and disgraceful comment.

Up there with telling your child that they'll never amount to anything

This isn't the thread for it but how the hell was Waterman a "Simpson casualty"!?

The forward line when Waterman came in (Pick 77 in 2016 draft) boasted all of JK, Lecras and Darling. There is no way in hell any coach would have played Waterman as a KPF with those two KPFs in the team especially.

So a pick 77 forward comes into the team and sure he doesn't play his first year (2017) but he plays round 1 in 2018 and goes on to play 16 games as a 2nd year forward in a premiership winning team, playing other positions to get games into him.

He goes on after that to play: 13, 10, 14 and 20 games (2022 is JKs last year) over the next few seasons all while competing with JK, JD and now Allen as well.

2023 after JKs retirement he plays rounds 2-12 before getting his weird injury.

2024 he basically plays every round of the season where Simpson is in charge.

To me it looks a lot more like Simpson gave him opportunities in positions outside of his preferred position because the forward line was stacked with two of the club's all time greats, getting a pick 77 to 73 AFL games before JK retired if anything shows that Simpson knew he had to get AFL exposure.

Wow, Simpson downplayed some praise to the media, behind closed doors he praised his training standards. Who gives a **** what he said to one reporter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't the thread for it but how the hell was Waterman a "Simpson casualty"!?

The forward line when Waterman came in (Pick 77 in 2016 draft) boasted all of JK, Lecras and Darling. There is no way in hell any coach would have played Waterman as a KPF with those two KPFs in the team especially.

So a pick 77 forward comes into the team and sure he doesn't play his first year (2017) but he plays round 1 in 2018 and goes on to play 16 games as a 2nd year forward in a premiership winning team, playing other positions to get games into him.

He goes on after that to play: 13, 10, 14 and 20 games (2022 is JKs last year) over the next few seasons all while competing with JK, JD and now Allen as well.

2023 after JKs retirement he plays rounds 2-12 before getting his weird injury.

2024 he basically plays every round of the season where Simpson is in charge.

To me it looks a lot more like Simpson gave him opportunities in positions outside of his preferred position because the forward line was stacked with two of the club's all time greats, getting a pick 77 to 73 AFL games before JK retired if anything shows that Simpson knew he had to get AFL exposure.

Wow, Simpson downplayed some praise to the media, behind closed doors he praised his training standards. Who gives a **** what he said to one reporter.
Saying a throw away comment like that to a reporter is not a wise course of action because it’s out in the public domain with wide ripples.

I seem to remember that Simpson made a few comments like this in his later years, for example, he made some s******ing comment about Isaiah Winder.

I think these type of comments were indicative that Simpson had or was losing the plot.

Saying a throw away comment like that to a reporter is not a wise course of action because it’s out in the public domain with wide ripples.

I seem to remember that Simpson made a few comments like this in his later years, for example, he made some s******ing comment about Isaiah Winder.

I think these type of comments were indicative that Simpson had or was losing the plot.

What word is this? Too many *******'s for me to wok out. Stirfrying?

Was worried this would happen.

I’d like to see waterman live at ffs more and Oscar chf

Imagine how many breakout All Australian seasons Jake Waterman could have had under Adam Simpson if he didn’t actively sabotage him at every opportunity. Would be in the Hall of Fame by now, no doubt.

Anyway, back to the Campbell Chesser thread.

Just ruing the pick itself!!
Keep thinking about that. You never know, with enough anger about it, perhaps space and time will fold and change it.

What will you do then? You keep banging on about it but there are about 4 players in next 10 that I would have rather than Johnson. So having it your way is still a failure.

Sheppard was excellent in his first year imo then had some injury concerns before he came good. Waterman always had this in him but was yet another Simpson casualty. Agree Chesser looks like a bust but fingers crossed I'm wrong
Shep was a better talent tho and a higher pick.

Both of them were fringe players.
No both Shep and Waterman were playing roles in a team structure.

Shep had a lot of injury earlier then found a neiche down back.

Waterman was a semi tall third forward who was a very accurate kick. Behind JK and Darling. His output was fine for the position.

No both Shep and Waterman were playing roles in a team structure.

Shep had a lot of injury earlier then found a neiche down back.

Waterman was a semi tall third forward who was a very accurate kick. Behind JK and Darling. His output was fine for the position.
They were both in and out of the magoos

Shep played 14, 6, 12,13,14 games in his first 5 years

Waterman played 16,13,10,14, 20 in his first five

Chesser has played 0 (injured all season) 14, 18

Unbunch yo panties

That's because they've been stacking the development squad with blokes who weren't good enough for AFL but they're good blokes who have no other skills so give them something to do at the club.

They were both in and out of the magoos

Shep played 14, 6, 12,13,14 games in his first 5 years

Waterman played 16,13,10,14, 20 in his first five

Chesser has played 0 (injured all season) 14, 18

Unbunch yo panties
Which is fine considering the team West Coast had on the park. Development is what the 2s. The point I made is they both had the tools to do well and did.

Don't play the man cranky A

Which is fine considering the team West Coast had on the park. Development is what the 2s. The point I made is they both had the tools to do well and did.

Don't play the man cranky A
I think if you go through both sets of players threads on here you will find the exact same sentiments as in this one.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Campbell Chesser (Pick 14, 2021 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back