List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Most young kids in their first and second seasons start to tire by the end of the year, and are carrying niggles

So credit to the young man that he's adjusting to a new role in the team and thriving.

I still think his future is in the midfield but let him work on his game some more off half back for now.

Watched a couple of his highlights courtesy of the legendary Alesana

Reubs just needs to find his confidence. Looks quite natural when he doesn't have time to think. Hopefully it starts to click during next season as I think his instincts are good, he just falls into second guessing himself a bit too often at present.

I respect that sometimes you have to go an athlete over a natural footballer, but ginbey for all his build has not shown that he’s some next level athlete.

That’s the most disappointing thing about the split pick. We went the athlete and he’s not outstanding in that regard despite looking the part.

Good news is that I’ve always liked Hewitt more.
being an athlete does not mean he doesnt need to learn to endure the crash and bash of footy.
most athletes drafted dont typically play such physical roles as ginbey has in year 1 and 2. give it a few years and his athletic profile will show out at the level.

being an athlete does not mean he doesnt need to learn to endure the crash and bash of footy.
most athletes drafted dont typically play such physical roles as ginbey has in year 1 and 2. give it a few years and his athletic profile will show out at the level.
What is his outstanding athletic attributes? What sets him above a standard afl player athletically?

What is his outstanding athletic attributes? What sets him above a standard afl player athletically?

Like any player, it is the mix of attributes.

Is he highest rated in the league for height, pace, agility, leap etc? No - but nor is he one dimensional.

He is athletically above league average in all of those qualities (and also above league average in football output for his age group).

He does seem very similar to a young Yeo - athletically gifted but a little lost in the midfield. Probably not as good above his head though.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is he highest rated in the league for height, pace, agility, leap etc? No - but nor is he one dimensional.

He is athletically above league average in all of those qualities (and also above league average in football output for his age group).

He does seem very similar to a young Yeo - athletically gifted but a little lost in the midfield. Probably not as good above his head though.

Yeo was pretty bloody damaging at Brisbane running off half back for a 2nd year player.

You say that. My response is that I’m not sure I’ve seen it displayed on field.

Ill be honest I haven’t watched every game this year because it would not have been good for my mental health, so maybe there was some secret quarter where he was burning off players, rag dolling them etc, but it doesn’t stand out in my memory.

Having known Reubs all his life I am a bit concerned at how big he has got himself which might limit his mobility. He was always solid across the shoulders but he has put on a lot of muscle which will take a little bit of adjusting too with the way he plays.

It could possibly be with a future role in mind, but he’s definitely not as agile as he was as a junior.

It would be nice for him to settle into half back (or anywhere for that matter) as he has been thrown around a bit with so many different roles in his first 30 or so games.

I hope he becomes a legend of your club, he is such a great kid.

Apologies for the intrusion.

Last edited:
You say that. My response is that I’m not sure I’ve seen it displayed on field.
this is the point tho. he is getting used to the crash and bash of AFL and is clearly cooked when you look at him running around.

you could add the #1 marathon runner in the world into AFL and they would look absolutely cooked after a couple afl contests. This is where time and patience is required to see his athletic profile at the highest level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

19 years old. 37 games under his belt.

Career high of 22 disposals, (three times, but twice in the last three weeks). 22-19-22 since making the switch. Career highs in running bounces in that span, so getting to show off some toe. Has chucked in a makeshift KPD effort too and performed admirably in the wake of in game injuries.

Breathe folks, he’s going to be a gem.

Looks more at home down back with the footy coming at him - which most young guys do.

Daresay he would have had a similar HBF role last year if not for our injury crisis which saw him sometimes play as our number 1 mid as an 18 year old.

Give him some time at HBF and then move him to the middle in a couple years if he projects that way. If not, let
him win some AAs off the HBF.

Very impressed with his composure last night. No moment looked too big for him, even when he had to play a key position role of sorts, once Harry went down. Speaks volumes that the coaching stuff trusted him to do that role, as opposed to swinging Oscar down back after the injury.

I had him second best on ground, only marginally behind Darling. Superb game, can’t wait to see what Reuben looks like with another 50 odd games under his belt.

Happy to keep him the backline. I don't know why everyone is obsessed with getting him into the midfield... our backline is thin on talent, and he's shown more promise there than anywhere else. Has the attributes to play small and tall, and great speed on the rebound. His versatility makes him the perfect third-tall.

Very impressed with his composure last night. No moment looked too big for him, even when he had to play a key position role of sorts, once Harry went down. Speaks volumes that the coaching stuff trusted him to do that role, as opposed to swinging Oscar down back after the injury.

I had him second best on ground, only marginally behind Darling. Superb game, can’t wait to see what Reuben looks like with another 50 odd games under his belt.
I think Schofield mentioned in the post match that he was looking at swinging JackW back but the other coaches persuaded him to leave Jack in his role and back Reuben in. Which worked well on both counts.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Welcome Reuben Ginbey (Pick 9, 2022 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back