Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

As fans I think it's important for us to remember that Calsher and his family received news in 2020 (yes only 4 years ago) that changed their lives forever. Everything else going on up until that point became secondary with football being one of those things.

This time last year the word around here was that the chances of Calsher making it were very slim so it just goes to show how things can change at the drop of a hat. I so badly want this kid to make it with the hell he and his family have been through and would love for that to be as soon as possible but more realistically towards the end of the season. Now having said all that if the kid keeps on showing more than say Ramma then the selection committee might not end up having a choice as he kicks the door down to a debut.

It only came late also that he showed something even days before the draft we didn’t think he would be nominated.

Is there a better form line than 3-0 for a VFL team?

Did you watch the whole game this week also to identify the times Calsher was in a position to kick a goal, and was overlooked or missed. Have you done that other weeks?

Would make sense if you were going to be unbiased and balance out the 'cheapies' you identify by watching the whole game. And were they really cheapies, or did he choose to put himself in a dangerous space, or lose his opponent around a contest or on the way back to goal?

How do other players go the first time they play in the NT?
Okay - to be clear.

It would be irresponsible (and a sign of desperation) for the match committee to pick him in the senior side based on 4 games of VFL football, two of which he didn’t get seriously involved.

I trust Littlejohn is assessing Calsher properly and the reports he has produced do not for a second suggest he’s ready to be elevated.

That’s my view.

Last edited:
We need more players to do an apprenticeship in VFL if at all possible, like the old days. No hurry at all with Calsher.

Look at how Geelong give the guys a go now after 2-3 years: Dempsey, Conway, Z Guthrie. They all look ready to go.

Okay - to be clear.

It would be irresponsible (and a sign of desperation) for the match committee to pick him in the senior side based on 4 games of VFL football, two of which he didn’t get seriously involved.

I trust Littlejohn is assessing Calsher properly and the reports he has produced do not for a second suggest he’s ready to be elevated.

That’s my view.

Why shoot Bambi like that?

Ok, that's enough crappy jokes for a long time.

Okay - to be clear.

That’s my view.

That's a lot more reasonable (kicked two goals from marks, one from a hardball get, the other from a free for example).

But it's going to depend on how the club views his development. Will the higher standard let him see what he needs to work on better than the VFL will? He's got an appetite to learn and get better already. Or are they wanting to see him absolutely tear a game to shreds first?

His debut is coming either way based on how quickly he's adjusting to footy at Box Hill.

Last edited:
Very exciting prospect.

Calls to promote him now are way premature, though...
]

I would love to see Dear play seniors but it may be too soon. My passion for the game says play him now. Doesn't hurt for him to play another month at Box Hill. If he's playing consistently well I'd elevate him to the seniors.

Wouldn't it be fabulous for both Dear and McCabe to come good.

]

I would love to see Dear play seniors but it may be too soon. My passion for the game says play him now. Doesn't hurt for him to play another month at Box Hill. If he's playing consistently well I'd elevate him to the seniors.

Wouldn't it be fabulous for both Dear and McCabe to come good.
Isn’t it great we are actually debating whether he is ready or not!

What I really liked was his pack marking and his defensive efforts. Both come naturally.

And his speed and instincts when the ball hit the ground. Some great moments but it’s early days. We’re all desperate for the next great hope. I’ll back the coaches to decide when he’s ready for the big stage. If that means more time to build fitness and consistency then fair enough. At least we’re having a conversation about a young KP with obvious potential!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has weapons that is for sure. Real thick around the thighs.

Okaay What GIF by ABC Network

As has been said before, Calsher doesn't have a tank rn and said himself he wasn't aware of the fitness levels required at AFL level. Ideally we want him coming into the squad when he can run out 4 quarters of footy. Remember as well Breust kicked something like 5 bags in a row before making his debut.

The way I see it he may get a taste end of the year if he is seriously knocking on the door and if not we will be waiting til next year. At least that's how I'd be going about it.

As has been said before, Calsher doesn't have a tank rn and said himself he wasn't aware of the fitness levels required at AFL level. Ideally we want him coming into the squad when he can run out 4 quarters of footy. Remember as well Breust kicked something like 5 bags in a row before making his debut.

The way I see it he may get a taste end of the year if he is seriously knocking on the door and if not we will be waiting til next year. At least that's how I'd be going about it.
Breust was trying to break into the best team in the competition.

Breust was trying to break into the best team in the competition.
2011 season had forward spots up for grabs and Breust ended runner up in our goalkicking so he had the talent he just need to ply his trade in VFL first. Not to mention it was Geelong that won the flag and Collingwood only lost 2 games for the season, we were not the best team.

2011 season had forward spots up for grabs and Breust ended runner up in our goalkicking so he had the talent he just need to ply his trade in VFL first. Not to mention it was Geelong that won the flag and Collingwood only lost 2 games for the season, we were not the best team.
Still growing and filling out. Great athletic profile also will be exciting to watch his progression over the next couple of years.

What tank is required for AFL? You're off the ground for 10 mins a quarter.

Bring him in. Build a tank on the G
If you need to be off the ground for 10 minutes a qtr, then you aren’t ready for AFL footy

I would also suggest he probably has a lot of work to do with regard to general experience, ie. Knowledge of running patterns and awareness of team mates. Great if you kick 4 goals, but if you cost a few goals with your lack of defensive knowledge, for example, then it doesn’t mean that much to the outcome.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back