Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Calsher Dear!

Remove this Banner Ad

Unbelievable to read about "not rushing" a guy who is in SMASHING form in the VFL, while people wanna bring in players with less impressive form and "give them a block of 6-8 games to see what they've got".

FFS this guy is too good for the VFL in the same way Roughead and Buddy were too good for VFL.
He needs to come into the team now.

I promise you, he is not going to shatter into 1,000 pieces.
100%

Bring him in now.

Showing really promising signs.
Boy we need to get lucky here.
I'm keeping a lid on. No Jinxing.

*he did play North today.

So Ryan Maric can be working at maccas, get picked mid year and play straight away and start looking great but Dear needs to play in the magoos until he's 21?

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX

Unbelievable to read about "not rushing" a guy who is in SMASHING form in the VFL, while people wanna bring in players with less impressive form and "give them a block of 6-8 games to see what they've got".

FFS this guy is too good for the VFL in the same way Roughead and Buddy were too good for VFL.

Reminds me of some of the Day comments in his first season, people act like he was a literal boy amongst men.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more weeks first but also wouldn't begrudge them giving him a week or two to see how he copes. It is not going to kill his development if he gets found out at AFL level at this stage of his development.

Reminds me of some of the Day comments in his first season, people act like he was a literal boy amongst men.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple more weeks first but also wouldn't begrudge them giving him a week or two to see how he copes. It is not going to kill his development if he gets found out at AFL level at this stage of his development.
Thing is, our idea of "giving them games" is a game against Geelong where he gets 1 touch and is immediately dropped.

Gotta give them a few games against the "easy kills" in tassie or some shit

So Ryan Maric can be working at maccas, get picked mid year and play straight away and start looking great but Dear needs to play in the magoos until he's 21?

Think Tim Robinson GIF by NETFLIX
You realize that development isn't the same for everyone right?

There isn't any rush. Let him develop, build his strength and tank and most importantly good habits in a system that is good and that will give him weekly challenges to help him be the best version of himself when he arrives in the firsts.

We don't want him to arrive and then get LTI because we pushed him too much off such a limited conditioning program (especially when you take into account that he barely played juniors in the elite programs - which both Buddy and Roughie did).

And what benefit will he get playing in our forward line at the moment........

There isn't any rush. Let him develop, build his strength and tank and most importantly good habits in a system that is good and that will give him weekly challenges to help him be the best version of himself when he arrives in the firsts.

We don't want him to arrive and then get LTI because we pushed him too much off such a limited conditioning program (especially when you take into account that he barely played juniors in the elite programs - which both Buddy and Roughie did).

Yep this. Player recovery is very important aspect of new draftees. Cals himself mentioned that he was still sore 5 days after his first game. He will get more conditioned as the season wears on. Hopefully we see him at the end of the year for a game or two. Just to give him a taste and get him hungry for pre season

Yeah let’s bring Gunston back in

IF Dear, McCabe and Denver become untouchable best 18 players for us, then I don't think we be that far back from developing into a solid finals team. Our midfields set for 8-10 years and also ok in the smaller frwds and defenders department, got enough cover with the rucks as well, so, a couple of kpp's would absolutely complete what we need going frwd. I'm hopeful of all three .

My understanding is he missed two years of footy, about the time his dad become really unwell.

My understanding is he missed two years of footy, about the time his dad become really unwell.

If he didn’t he would have gone a lot higher in the draft and probably we would have had to pay a lot more to get him maybe not getting Watson.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree 100 percent.

Steady, obvious improvement till now points to him being an AFL level talent who needs early games. Forwards who move like him are usually high level draft picks, who debut early.

Plus, the Newcombe curve doesn’t lie, and he’s never dipped below it. Cracked record: he could have had 6 with a bit of luck vs. the Cats in rd. 3.

That he needs a few more games at VFL level is still a valid argument. But so is bringing him in now against a team without a strong key back.

Think he’s equal parts Lynch and Rough since folks are ok with comparisons now, though I can see the argument that he reads it like Curnow.

Very skinny but I remember Gunston was very slight in his first season with us. Maybe can make a debut as 3rd tall once Lewis and Chol are in the same side again.

Pushing grown men around now at times, and was at tree trunk legs level even last year. Super powerful for his size, just like his old man.

IF Dear, McCabe and Denver become untouchable best 18 players for us, then I don't think we be that far back from developing into a solid finals team. Our midfields set for 8-10 years and also ok in the smaller frwds and defenders department, got enough cover with the rucks as well, so, a couple of kpp's would absolutely complete what we need going frwd. I'm hopeful of all three .
The idea of Denver being a best 18 player is pipe dream at this stage

Great to see Calsher go well yesterday, and yeah, people will point to the fact it's north, but good forwards fill their boots against poorer sides, so it's pleasing to see
It's why I'm shitty Ramsden got dropped this week and didn't play any footy this week. He's finally got a chance to play against a VFL defence and we drop him?? Odd

Anyway, loving the looks of Calsher and whilst it's tempting to bring him in now maybe give him another couple of weeks at Box Hill and then elevate him.

Rd 1 - Casey (who are poor)
6 disposals, 4 marks, 0 goals

Rd 2 - Geelong (who are poor)
13 disposals, 3 marks, 3 goals

Rd 4 - GC (who are very good)
11 disposals, 4 hit outs, 0 goals

Rd 5 - North (who are poor)
15 disposals, 5 marks, 4 goals

I watched his highlights, he played really well yesterday against a poor side. Two of his goals were impressive. Two were pretty cheap, (but you take them obviously).

He also had a good outing against Geelong.

Against good VFL opposition he hasn’t been able to really impact. AFL is a step above playing very good VFL sides.

That’s what happens in the VFL When the quality of opposition varies so much, that some days players can “fill their boots”.

From what I’ve read from Littlejohn’s reports has played two ordinary games and two very good games.

Commonsense please.

Rd 1 - Casey (who are poor)
6 disposals, 4 marks, 0 goals

Rd 2 - Geelong (who are poor)
13 disposals, 3 marks, 3 goals

Rd 4 - GC (who are very good)
11 disposals, 4 hit outs, 0 goals

Rd 5 - North (who are poor)
15 disposals, 5 marks, 4 goals

I watched his highlights, he played really well yesterday against a poor side. Two of his goals were impressive. Two were pretty cheap, (but you take them obviously).

He also had a good outing against Geelong.

Against good VFL opposition he hasn’t been able to really impact. AFL is a step above playing very good VFL sides.

That’s what happens in the VFL When the quality of opposition varies so much, that some days players can “fill their boots”.

From what I’ve read from Littlejohn’s reports has played two ordinary games and two very good games.

Commonsense please.
North were unbeaten till yesterday. Yes the VFL comp is pretty weak compared to AFL no doubt there. He is still an a very exciting kpf that is plying his trade in the VFL

Gold coast 2 and 2

Commonsense please.

Is there a better form line than 3-0 for a VFL team?

Did you watch the whole game this week also to identify the times Calsher was in a position to kick a goal, and was overlooked or missed. Have you done that other weeks?

Would make sense if you were going to be unbiased and balance out the 'cheapies' you identify by watching the whole game. And were they really cheapies, or did he choose to put himself in a dangerous space, or lose his opponent around a contest or on the way back to goal?

How do other players go the first time they play in the NT?

As fans I think it's important for us to remember that Calsher and his family received news in 2020 (yes only 4 years ago) that changed their lives forever. Everything else going on up until that point became secondary with football being one of those things.

This time last year the word around here was that the chances of Calsher making it were very slim so it just goes to show how things can change at the drop of a hat. I so badly want this kid to make it with the hell he and his family have been through and would love for that to be as soon as possible but more realistically towards the end of the season. Now having said all that if the kid keeps on showing more than say Ramma then the selection committee might not end up having a choice as he kicks the door down to a debut.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back