Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

If it's possible for him to consistently deliver his best or even just his better footy every/most quarters then he could be the best player in the game. Ridiculous power and impact when he's on.

If it's possible for him to consistently deliver his best or even just his better footy every/most quarters then he could be the best player in the game. Ridiculous power and impact when he's on.

His effectiveness and impact is unreal.

This week he scored 110 SC points off only 16 touches. I know SC isn't the be all and end all, but it is essentially weighted towards contested work and the effectiveness of possessions. You'd normally see that kind of score with double the amount of touches.

Last edited:
Atkins tagged him last week.
Atkins tagged Nick Daicos this week - the difference was Daicos on always on the move, and thus was protected by the umpires.

Newcombe was penalised by the umps even more than he received a free kick for holding, yet Atkins was behind and holding Newcombe 'most' stoppages.

Our mids tend to engage with taggers - same with our forwards, so the umpires can just call "both holding" or ignore completely. When our guys throw their arms up or heads back, they are "staging" so they can ignore those too.

If we want to start getting umpired more 'fairly', then we need to be on the move.

I think the team have been copping some tags and this will only increase as the game wears on. We need to work on it as a team. To protect each other. Even our great teams and Sam himself had to deal with it. When we r good and challenging it won't matter

His effectiveness amd impace is unreal.

This week he scored 110 SC points off only 16 touches. I know SC isn't the be all and end all, but it essentially weighted towards contested work and the effectiveness of possessions. You'd normally see that kind of score with double the amount of touches.

Easily the most efficient game of his career.

Didn't need much to do a hell of a lot.

I believe he was on 47 supercoach points at 3 quarter time too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

200.gif

Would love to see him play forward more often. Very underrated overhead marking ability and great goal sense.
He's very strong, should have had 2 marks in the goal square just couldn't reel that one against Moore in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch Welcome to Hawthorn : Jai “Duke” Newcombe - 2022 AFLCA Best Young Player, extends to 2026!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back