Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn - Mabior Chol

Remove this Banner Ad

Its obvious he is a laid back character. But it's also very obvious how much he is enjoying his footy compared to his time at the tiges and Suns. He's said Mitchell believed in him and was a big part in why he signed with us. We aren't going to get that big pack marking tall forward, instead someone who will bring most contests to ground and is essentially another midfielder when the ball hits the deck.

Mabior appreciation post

Just wanted to acknowledge something that I've seen the majority of this season that some of our fans have failed to and that is the chase down and repeat efforts of Chol this season. I really think it's due to his laconic look (in the face) that it sometimes gives the appearance that he is disinterested and doesn't try but I'm not buying it. His laconic look makes for an easy whipping boy
He only has a laconic look in the face when he isn't talking.
I've noticed that when he's talking he doesn't look at all laconic.

Mabior appreciation post

Just wanted to acknowledge something that I've seen the majority of this season that some of our fans have failed to and that is the chase down and repeat efforts of Chol this season. I really think it's due to his laconic look (in the face) that it sometimes gives the appearance that he is disinterested and doesn't try but I'm not buying it. His laconic look makes for an easy whipping boy when we're struggling but I'm calling BS as I feel outside of that period where he was playing hurt he's been giving his all and I feel he's been a great pick up for us and if he one day ends up being the third banana up front then so be it.

5 minutes to go in the game and the big fella is chasing like we're down 30. You love to see it and I saw this from him multiple times and then he gave an ample chop out in the ruck too. Well done Mabior I appreciate you!

View attachment 2007419
Great post, It’s funny I was watching him closely today (great to watch btw) but he has a nack for creating some significant burst pace, really drives his legs and angles his body. No suprise he is able to find some space in the middle.

In the forward line tho he almost leaves the exact amount of space required for the opposition to feel like their fine then turns on the jets, tackles hard to. Now after half a season he has the conditioning to really do it on repeat.

His first couple of interviews when he got to the club he said what he was going to do and his action are just following that up now.

Has definitely been on the improve in the last few rounds. Was at the game yesterday and discussion turned to his marking ability, does he have hard hands, because he seems to position his body well in most contests but just can't get the ball to stick in his mitts?

Mabs did a power of running on the weekend when chopping out in the ruck. I love what he brings to the side.

Sadly, we still have a lot of supporters who use this card.

IMG_5997.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mabs did a power of running on the weekend when chopping out in the ruck. I love what he brings to the side.

View attachment 2009322
I don't think this is fair tbh. He had 3 disposals, 1 tackle and 5 pressure acts in the first half. He did look disinterested for a fair chunk of the match, that was prior to being moved into the ruck.

That takes nothing away from the fact that he was a huge presence in the final quarter. He had 6 pressure acts in the last quarter alone and was chasing very hard despite being on for 100% of game time that quarter. He turned it around in game which was great to see.

I don't think this is fair tbh. He had 3 disposals, 1 tackle and 5 pressure acts in the first half. He did look disinterested for a fair chunk of the match, that was prior to being moved into the ruck.

That takes nothing away from the fact that he was a huge presence in the final quarter. He had 6 pressure acts in the last quarter alone and was chasing very hard despite being on for 100% of game time that quarter. He turned it around in game which was great to see.
You know, I agree with your takes on a lot of things, but honestly to suggest that any of our players are not interested in being out on the field is quite an offensive thing to say about a player.

You know, I agree with your takes on a lot of things, but honestly to suggest that any of our players are not interested in being out on the field is quite an offensive thing to say about a player.
Oh come on, saying a player looks disinterested isn't the same as saying they are disinterested.

Mabior appreciation post

Just wanted to acknowledge something that I've seen the majority of this season that some of our fans have failed to and that is the chase down and repeat efforts of Chol this season. I really think it's due to his laconic look (in the face) that it sometimes gives the appearance that he is disinterested and doesn't try but I'm not buying it. His laconic look makes for an easy whipping boy when we're struggling but I'm calling BS as I feel outside of that period where he was playing hurt he's been giving his all and I feel he's been a great pick up for us and if he one day ends up being the third banana up front then so be it.

5 minutes to go in the game and the big fella is chasing like we're down 30. You love to see it and I saw this from him multiple times and then he gave an ample chop out in the ruck too. Well done Mabior I appreciate you!

View attachment 2007419
yep I was sitting on L2 on the wing on Saturday and there was another passage where he ran from the forward line all the way down to the Crow's forward line chasing and pressuring. Was amazing to see, and then to see him presenting a couple of mins later in marking contests...

Must be extremely fit, one of the hardest workers in the team each week - the opposite of lazy!

He did a lot of unrewarded defensive work, which has become a feature of his game.

Also he was kind of robbed of two goal scoring opportunities.

The first was Hardwick's assist to Moore, which IMO was really a pass to Chol on the lead, but Moore cut in and stole it from him.

And the second was his free kick in the square following Dear's kick, which ended up bouncing through the goals anyway.

Oh come on, saying a player looks disinterested isn't the same as saying they are disinterested.
What makes a player look disinterested to you?

I sat upon level 4 with Eldo and watched Mabs work pretty tirelessly from the first quarter.

IMG_5997.jpeg
And his routine lining up for goals looks consistent and technically correct. For a player his size his kicking in general play is elite. Great pick up. I think a few Tigers and GC supporters owe Chol an apologise from what I have seen!

I sat upon level 4 with Eldo and watched Mabs work pretty tirelessly from the first quarter.

He came into Hawthorn with a reputation for being lazy in the front line with inconsistent effort. A reputation he admitted he had earned and he was committed to reversing. People are understandably laser-focused on that reputation. And he works his backside off, fortunately gets another guy he teams well with to play full forward, and takes his opportunity to contribute.

This is a good news story. It doesn’t need to be about skin colour. Unless you make it that way.

I enjoyed watching the Mabior Land-shark hunting his prey. Deadly.
The thing I love about him is that when he hits a pack the oppo always feels it and know they've had a hard physical contest. The reason why the combo of Mabs and Dear is working is because both of them are making a contest of the high ball no matter what and this has allowed our band of smalls to go to work.

He had a moment in the second quarter where he pushed hard to the wing to make a contest, then made a tackle, got up and ended up chasing close to 150m to put pressure on Rory Laird who was free inside Adelaide's forward 50 near the right hand pocket. It's stuff like that that most supporters don't see when they watch Chol's game. His work rate has been unbelievable. We hoped he'd be an upgrade from Kosi, and he has well and truly surpassed that. I'm loving what Cholly brings every week defensively.

I had a very long reply typed out but I don't think it's worth the argument.

Chol had a period where he was either too cooked or not interested in applying pressure to an Adelaide player in his vicinity. To me it looked like it was effort and not that he was physically unable to pressure that player. I went back and watched the part of the game where I thought he looked disinterested at points and he was dirty on himself afterwards, so it probably was the wrong choice of words.

I wanted to push back on one thing - the "disinterested" comment has nothing to do with his skin colour, I spent most of last year having the same argument with Simon Crawshay about Scrimshaw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back