Welcome Welcome to Hawthorn : Nick 'the Wizard' Watson!

Remove this Banner Ad

He handed off a couple of others too. Ripped the game apart in the 4th when everyone else seemed on autopilot.
Handed off more than a couple. Handed off the first 2 goals and then had or played a part in a few more. For someone with his x-factor he is very unselfish.

On a side note seeing him stand next to Skaife was pure comedy. They looked like Schwarzenegger and DeVito in the. movie Twins 😂

I love the awareness to play on but the right play had to be the simple pass to number 60 (don't know him) 20m out directly in front.

Was a great kick but bananas on the run from the pocket aren't the highest percentage play when you are in the seniors and goals are at a premium.

P.s. I know that I am a killjoy and in all probability number 60 wouldn't have been so free at the top level.

Wouldn't worry about his team play.

Literally had the ball in a good position in the last quarter, to kick his 5th, but instead lowered the eyes and hit up Scaife in the goal square - who passed off to Thorpe for a goal. I would just say he oozes confidence.

More than anything else, at the minute, he seems to score more consistently when on the run rather than set shots - basically, when he plays on instinct. His set shots will get better with more experience, but you want him playing like a livewire at the minute to be at his most damaging. Play ons will suit him atm.

To say he hadn’t adjusted to the pace on the 1’s is just straight up wrong. The first 3 weeks he had the most shots in our side but just couldn’t convert.
It's straight up right, there's a difference between not being able to convert out of sheer bad luck and what was happening with Wiz. He was blowing wide open chances and kicking almost as many out of the full as he was goals.

It wasn't that he hadn't adjusted to the speed and was moving too slow, it was that he had overadjusted. Still a lack of adjustment tho. He'll come back in and be much better for it.

with the great work of Jiath making the ground big, there is certainly much more room in the forward line, kudos to both the player and the coach. This wasn't the case when Wiz was last in the side, and I have no doubt he will be the huge benefactor of this. You'd have to think they'll find room for him. With the massive pressure he brings, Sam might be able to switch Hardwick down back, will be needed there as the Tigers have unearthed a couple of really sharp small forwards, and another slightly older one to return this week..... this kind of stuff always seems to happen to the Hawks.

with the great work of Jiath making the ground big, there is certainly much more room in the forward line, kudos to both the player and the coach. This wasn't the case when Wiz was last in the side, and I have no doubt he will be the huge benefactor of this. You'd have to think they'll find room for him. With the massive pressure he brings, Sam might be able to switch Hardwick down back, will be needed there as the Tigers have unearthed a couple of really sharp small forwards, and another slightly older one to return this week..... this kind of stuff always seems to happen to the Hawks.
Once again I wouldnt worry about what Richmond bring. It's what we get out of this game. A big crowd finals like atmosphere and the opposition on edge. We need these games as experience as we make our way towards finals. It's all about the learnings. Win or lose we need games like this

Yep, get him in! Let's not leave Seamus all at sea against dusty , put dimma back in defence, bring Watson in as sub , play both Breust and Gunston from the start to settle the nerves for our youngsters in front of 80k and swap with Watson halfway through the third term .
I don’t Seamus has been all at sea on any opponent this year.
I’d consider bringing in Watson for McKenzie and giving CMac more midfield time.
Hardwick has been important up forward and Seamus developing nicely in defence

What a player, he has got serious hang time.

Often wondered why not enough players run away from the mark when defender is busy trapped in his own head, see so many opportunities in every game to catch defence napping, improve the angle or get closer to goals.

Wiz did it twice here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What a player, he has got serious hang time.

Often wondered why not enough players run away from the mark when defender is busy trapped in his own head, see so many opportunities in every game to catch defence napping, improve the angle or get closer to goals.

Wiz did it twice here.

Good luck catching him when he takes off as well, he has some serious jets!

I love that he was getting a decent amount of touches even whilst playing as a small forward. There's generally less of the ball to go around in the VFL matches, so for a small forward to be getting 18 touches is impressive.
That banana goal on the run from a mark on the weekend, he actually started in the centre bounce and just kept following the play down

he hasnt converted because he has been rushing imo...
He has had a number of set shots which he has sprayed, nothing rushing him in those moments. More nerves than anything else I would have thought. Now that he has a couple games and built up his confidence at BH, hopefully he is over it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back