Welcome to the Adelaide Crows, Cathal McShane (narrator: he didn't come)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is Cathal McShane to Oz only the tip of the iceberg? | Which side has suffered biggest player loss?

Think this is the kind of move you'd love Wayne, just like Keath and Greenwood? An untapped, cross-sport talent with some already nicely developed footy traits?

I hope the heat and fires doesn't change his mind about Adelaide and make him go back . We were in Ireland in august and it rained every day,

Think this is the kind of move you'd love Wayne, just like Keath and Greenwood? An untapped, cross-sport talent with some already nicely developed footy traits?
Yeah I don't mind it ....I like the fact that at 24 YO , homesickness, the #1 reason for Irish failures ...shouldn't be a problem

Now the only question is, how much does he want this AFL opportunity

I don't know if McShane can be compared to Keath, and Greenwood. Whilst both of them went to other sports, they were touted as first-round picks in their draft years.

I don't know if McShane can be compared to Keath, and Greenwood. Whilst both of them went to other sports, they were touted as first-round picks in their draft years.
True, but it definitely sounds like McShane is one of the stars of his league. He may not actually have an AFL background like those two, but likely has a lot of the base traits needed to play the game at the top level, like Keath and Greenwood had when initially coming back to the game

Not an identical situation, I'll give you that, but give it a year or two and we could see a similar result

True, but it definitely sounds like McShane is one of the stars of his league. He may not actually have an AFL background like those two, but likely has a lot of the base traits needed to play the game at the top level, like Keath and Greenwood had when initially coming back to the game

Not an identical situation, I'll give you that, but give it a year or two and we could see a similar result

What? Leaving for other clubs after we develop them? ;)

He's just training with us isn't he? What is the likelihood he gets picked up? I'm assuming he wouldn't be eligible for the mid-season draft.

We have a cat B rookie spot, so unless he's an absolute spud, most likely it's safe.

Had to laugh at the AFL website article claiming this would be the Crows men's team's first Irish recruit.

Stunning lack of respect for poor Brian Donnelly! :D
Who was the other one? Reckon there were two at the same time

Paddy O'Furniture maybe?

Dont follow rugby, but wasnt this true for Hunt and Folau also? Gaelic football translates better aerobically, but less physical. Worth a free hit though - be interesting to see how it pans out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who was the other one? Reckon there were two at the same time

Paddy O'Furniture maybe?

Two tried out but only one was drafted. The other guy was called Karl Dias but I don't remember anything about him, other than he was somehow even less impressive than Donnelly. I'm pretty sure Donnelly was only chosen because he was tall.

My main Donnelly memory is him doing a radio interview where he basically said he came over for the tryout and was terrible at it, couldn't kick the ball properly and found the weights training impossible, and was absolutely gobsmacked to get drafted.

I went to preseason training all summer long that year, and every session it was just him with one of the coaches practicing 20m kicks over and over again without doing anything else, with him spraying every third kick.

Good times.

Last edited:
I knew about Cat B rookies but I assumed we were done for this post-season in terms of adding new players.

i‘ve got a vague recollection of a cat b being added during the season n the past. I wonder if there’s no restrictions on them. Would make sense seeing their other sport seasons would be finishing at unaligned dates.

i‘ve got a vague recollection of a cat b being added during the season n the past. I wonder if there’s no restrictions on them. Would make sense seeing their other sport seasons would be finishing at unaligned dates.
Yes you can add a Cat B Rookie at anytime

We have a cat B rookie spot, so unless he's an absolute spud, most likely it's safe.
I like the gamble .....it's just the $$$ you lose, if it doesn't work out

I have no expectations & isn;t in my future thinking about the teams development .....if he succeeds, then that's cream on the cake stuff

I'm pleased that we are exploring this avenue but we can't even get our 1st Round Draft Pick AFL players into the team

As much as I enjoy your witty asides, that was the old oppressive regime.

We have a brand new oppressive regime, and they haven't even put out a team yet - let's give them a chance first!

As much as I enjoy your witty asides, that was the old oppressive regime.

We have a brand new oppressive regime, and they haven't even put out a team yet - let's give them a chance first!

I too am very hopeful on that, but the nagging feeling is that the coach recruiters might be drawn to certain characteristics and Nicks might be a lot like Pyke in terms of football philosophy. Then there’s also the club culture of ignoring development in favour of hoping to fall into the 8 somehow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Adelaide Crows, Cathal McShane (narrator: he didn't come)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back