Welcome to the Bulldogs Sam Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

For anyone interested Sam just confirmed on SEN he’s 208cm.

I think that was his height when he arrived at the club was it not?
Officially listed at 204cm at the draft (probably a measurement from earlier in the season):

Then listed at 205cm in his first pre-season, which was probably the first measurement the club took immediately after the draft:

The 208cm is his currently listed his height, so he's confirming it as a current accurate measurement.

I was having a look at other forward rucks and noticed that Sam has taken as many contested marks this year as Josh Treacy and Luke Jackson combined. Pretty, pretty good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ha! If you have seen them they are all virtually identical - like a set of Russian dolls - a big one, slightly smaller one and a smaller one again... I hear that the younger one shows a bit!
The younger, smaller ones will probably keep growing 😀

I recall someone ITK here saying very early that internally Darcy was quickly regarded as the most impressive draft pick we’d welcomed since Bont.

Unicorn has been thrown around too much but he really is one. Height, core strength, hands, skills, aggression.

As soon as he got over his initial foot injury he dominated the vfl and basically only suspension, injury and a horrible round 1 non-selection have kept him out since.

the wider afl has this season caught on to this. How the **** do you stop Marra, Darcy and Naughton when they (and you Cody) aren’t flying on top of each other? Who do you send to who?

He’s also going to infuriate rival fans with chopping the arm frees.

The only real way to stop him even if the delivery is half okay is to arm chop and that stands out.

While defenders get away with murder on Naughon by jumper grabbing to be stop his jumping, that’s easier to disguise by defenders.

Sam doesn’t need as much momentum, so he’s much harder to stop inside 50m.

He’s also going to infuriate rival fans with chopping the arm frees.

The only real way to stop him even if the delivery is half okay is to arm chop and that stands out.

While defenders get away with murder on Naughon by jumper grabbing to be stop his jumping, that’s easier to disguise by defenders.

Sam doesn’t need as much momentum, so he’s much harder to stop inside 50m.
It's the closest thing to unstoppable in a marking contest that I've ever seen. When he marks the ball at its highest point, I can't think of a single defender in the league that would get close.

208cm + incredibly long arms + marking the ball at its highest point + strong core strength. Seriously good luck in a few years time.

It's the closest thing to unstoppable in a marking contest that I've ever seen. When he marks the ball at its highest point, I can't think of a single defender in the league that would get close.

208cm + incredibly long arms + marking the ball at its highest point + strong core strength. Seriously good luck in a few years time.

Lobb

Darcy having the balance of more traditional sized forwards is a weapon (190-ish cm), as those big guys almost never have it.

The idea of a tall Mason Cox type plonking forward and doing it has always been there, but unless they have perfect delivery (on top of their head) and separation at the exact right time, their legs fall away with any sort of contact. Like a baby deer. And the other times, they don’t have the forward nous, so the big lumps just run under the ball.

Darcy doesn’t have those weaknesses.

Darcy having the balance of more traditional sized forwards is a weapon (190-ish cm), as those big guys almost never have it.

The idea of a tall Mason Cox type plonking forward and doing it has always been there, but unless they have perfect delivery (on top of their head) and separation at the exact right time, their legs fall away with any sort of contact. Like a baby deer. And the other times, they don’t have the forward nous, so the big lumps just run under the ball.

Darcy doesn’t have those weaknesses.
There was one crumb Darcy won with 12 mins to go in the last quarter that he handballed off to a Macrae goal.

The footballing action itself wasn't that notable, and would go unnoticed - there was a clear path to a bouncing ball without any physical pressure, that led to an easy handball-snap-goal.

The different is that you just don't see 200+cm players executing that all that often - while it would be expected for a six footer to execute that, if a big bloke can do it consistently, it's so valuable.

The thing that sticks out to me is how quick Darcy's mind is. He seems to have better reaction and hand-eye coordination than many other players - reacting to a ball bouncing in an odd direction, seeing pressure come and understanding that he needs to get rid of it etc.

It's not as if he's that much more agile below his knees or anything (he is a bit) than other big blokes - he still lumbers and is not that quick - he just uses his mind and reactions better.

It's great to watch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Welcome to the Bulldogs Sam Darcy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back