Autopsy Well beaten v swamsn

Remove this Banner Ad

If it makes people feel better to benchmark against the W.O.A.T teams, that’s fine.
I’d prefer the Collingwood method of shifting the narrative around them within a year and becoming a force.

Or the Geelong and Sydney method of never bottoming out and always being a threat.

But we can go on making excuses for poor performances. That’s cool. I’m sure it’ll work out fine.
You cant change to the collingwood , geelong or swans model as you put it half way though a complete cleanout. We have no choice but to go the path now.

You cant change to the collingwood , geelong or swans model as you put it half way though a complete cleanout. We have no choice but to go the path now.

Good, go the path, take the medicine and go to the draft, build the list, train the kids, etc. All good. But don’t keep accepting games like yesterday, treat them as the aberrations the should be.

Losing is fine at this stage of the build, but it shouldn’t be because we disappear for a week and lack the effort that made previous weeks so respectable.

I just thought these dudes were past stinkers like this. Yknow? I thought we had a base line for reasonable expectation of effort.

I know they’re young, it’s Sydney, it’s SCG, the roof was off, the wind was bad, their juices were spiked, their undies were on backwards, their Horlicks wasn’t hot enough.. But fair dinkum, when do the excuses stop?

Please, nobody list any excuses. We had a full team that we were happy with on paper, add to that Wardlaw, and the team chose not to go hard.

Sydney aren’t the globetrotters of football, not long ago they were quite average and back with the pack. Even Richmond showed this year they’re beatable. Even Saints did!

When are we going to grow the **** up as a footy club? 😂

But seriously - when?

Exactly this, was all this competitive, shinboner effort just a flash in the pan?.

It felt like at least we would be able to enjoy a game knowing everyone is going to put regardless of whether we lose or not.

Couldn't care less of the wins but seeing the boys be the number 1 pressure team and one of the hardest teams to play against (ask the pies) was a standard we all bloody enjoyed

It was apparent that no matter how bad any of our quarters are, the boys had another gear and could lift. Never gave up.

I hope its just a blimp but the loss was eerily similar to pre-bye - we win one quarter maybe 2 and we accept that as a honourable loss. We get smacked around and the other 3 quarters our pressure, intent and effort is back down to nearly the worst team in the afl. Heads drop and rinse and repeat.

We have to come out firing, 8 day break etc

Good, go the path, take the medicine and go to the draft, build the list, train the kids, etc. All good. But don’t keep accepting games like yesterday, treat them as the aberrations the should be.

Losing is fine at this stage of the build, but it shouldn’t be because we disappear for a week and lack the effort that made previous weeks so respectable.
Practically speaking what choice have you got other than accept them? Denial?

Exactly this, was all this competitive, shinboner effort just a flash in the pan?.

It felt like at least we would be able to enjoy a game knowing everyone is going to put regardless of whether we lose or not.

Couldn't care less of the wins but seeing the boys be the number 1 pressure team and one of the hardest teams to play against (ask the pies) was a standard we all bloody enjoyed

It was apparent that no matter how bad any of our quarters are, the boys had another gear and could lift. Never gave up.

I hope its just a blimp but the loss was eerily similar to pre-bye - we win one quarter maybe 2 and we accept that as a honourable loss. We get smacked around and the other 3 quarters our pressure, intent and effort is back down to nearly the worst team in the afl. Heads drop and rinse and repeat.

We have to come out firing, 8 day break etc

All of this. But careful, don’t be expecting a basic level of intent from your team around here or you might be labelled Morrissey.

Practically speaking what choice have you got other than accept them? Denial?

I don’t accept them but what does that matter? It doesn’t. The club shouldn’t accept them if they’re serious though.

It’s been good since the bye, but yesterday was shit. That’s all. No toys out of the cot, it’s just an observation. Good organisations don’t let effort become optional, but we have for a long time. There hasn’t been anything that sets us apart as ‘shinboners’ for a couple decades.

What’s so special about us?
For starters, last week, the West Coast game, the Pies game, the Melbourne game. The spirit was back. It was good to see. Yesterday wasn’t. We have to make yesterday, and not the last month, the exception.

Sorry, waxing a bit lyrical, oops.

the smiths morrissey GIF

🤣 I think Spud will be up for a relaxed chat with us by Tuesday or Wednesday.

If i see ‘in: Phillips’ during the week, I’ll be in a pleasant mood.

If I don’t see it, I’ll be sitting in my cot throwing squeaky telephones, rattles, and one of those entire Fisher & Paykel play centre things out.

And if the Carlton match resembles the Sydney match in terms of effort, I’ll probably come on Bigfooty and say “That wasn’t good enough” only to be shot down from all angles for daring to want to enjoy watching my team play football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Loser mentality around here.
Brother, I am just as pissed as anyone would be that we lost so badly yesterday however that team paired with that ground which seem to strangle us more than anything else was a huge part of why we lost. We lifted our intensity, we tried, but **** me we got absolutely done in all facets. The midfield, our strongest part of the ground, lost in stoppages and centre clearances. That is a rarity. An EXTREME rarity. We got absolutely smashed.

We butchered our chances early to gain some momentum and knew they were coming. We failed. We ****ed up. Can't do anything about that.

The young talent is not ready to go against the big boys just yet despite the amazing performances after the bye. There are still some refinements to be made and some additional talent to be recruited before the floor is raised. Most importantly, these blokes need more exposure. Wardlaw, Sheezel and McKercher all had down games. A rarity for all of them to be ineffective in the same match. Sydney absolutely overwhelmed our boys.

This will be a harsh lesson for them and lets see if they can bring it against another good team in Carlton who haven't been on song for a few weeks. They are vulnerable and we're hunting.

Shit game, but we move on.

Brother, I am just as pissed as anyone would be that we lost so badly yesterday however that team paired with that ground which seem to strangle us more than anything else was a huge part of why we lost. We lifted our intensity, we tried, but **** me we got absolutely done in all facets. The midfield, our strongest part of the ground, lost in stoppages and centre clearances. That is a rarity. An EXTREME rarity. We got absolutely smashed.

We butchered our chances early to gain some momentum and knew they were coming. We failed. We ****ed up. Can't do anything about that.

The young talent is not ready to go against the big boys just yet despite the amazing performances after the bye. There are still some refinements to be made and some additional talent to be recruited before the floor is raised. Most importantly, these blokes need more exposure. Wardlaw, Sheezel and McKercher all had down games. A rarity for all of them to be ineffective in the same match. Sydney absolutely overwhelmed our boys.

This will be a harsh lesson for them and lets see if they can bring it against another good team in Carlton who haven't been on song for a few weeks. They are vulnerable and we're hunting.

Shit game, but we move on.

We’ll all move on pretty quickly if the effort/intent in the Carlton game is back to the level they’ve demonstrated is possible.

We’ll all move on pretty quickly if the effort/intent in the Carlton game is back to the level they’ve demonstrated is possible.
I've seen enough to know we've changed our ways. Haven't played at the SCG since 2022. It was the first time for a few of our players. It's such a terrible ground even though it's only 5m shorter than the MCG. All teams feel like they have no room to move when they play there. Seemed to be the case for us too.

I recall just how badly it exposed the likes of Firrito, Grima and Thommo a decade ago when we played them in that Prelim. It's the worst ground for a backline under siege.

Correction: we played them at ANZ (at the time).

I've seen enough to know we've changed our ways. Haven't played at the SCG since 2022. It was the first time for a few of our players. It's such a terrible ground even though it's only 5m shorter than the MCG. All teams feel like they have no room to move when they play there. Seemed to be the case for us too.

I recall just how badly it exposed the likes of Firrito, Grima and Thommo a decade ago when we played them in that Prelim. It's the worst ground for a backline under siege.

Correction: we played them at ANZ (at the time).

My memory of games at ANZ seem to be of being out drinking in the early 00’s and seeing it on the big screen, always seemed to be Swans vs Pies

Was Plugger riding the exercise bike on the boundary there during his “comeback”?

As for us there, just remember the ‘08, ‘14 and ‘15 finals - a loss by 35, a win by 26 and another loss by 71 points. I had to look that up, I felt like we had some good games there. I didn’t hate that place.

Remember home games at SCG circa orange guernsey era? Our 90’s swagger/mojo took a big hit around then. Not sure we ever recovered. ***k Sydney lol.

Winners win. We get the slightest bit of hope and the boys follow it up with a pigtruck stench of an effort. Predictably. Not cool. That toxic behaviour needs to be called out, girlfriend.
Wouldn't say 'slightest'. The weeks after the bye have been the best stretch of games I've seen in 5 years.

I thought the effort was actually not as bad as some think. We just got smashed comprehensively. When you're chasing all day it looks really bad.

The boys have turned a corner but perhaps if this game was at Marvel then maybe we put up a better fight. A loss of that nature leads me to believe our young crop are building but simply not ready to handle the top teams.

The jury is still out on guys like Phillips and Powell. They've proven to us they can match the middle teams but I'd like to see them match the best of the best.

Wouldn't say 'slightest'. The weeks after the bye have been the best stretch of games I've seen in 5 years.

I thought the effort was actually not as bad as some think. We just got smashed comprehensively. When you're chasing all day it looks really bad.

The boys have turned a corner but perhaps if this game was at Marvel then maybe we put up a better fight. A loss of that nature leads me to believe our young crop are building but simply not ready to handle the top teams.

The jury is still out on guys like Phillips and Powell. They've proven to us they can match the middle teams but I'd like to see them match the best of the best.

Yeah if the bolded is still an issue for us in the next couple of years, we’ll have to ask some serious questions.
You’re saying the effort was okay, on what I saw I’d disagree but obviously respectfully, you’re a quality poster. You must have seen things I didn’t. I’d watch it again and all but..

20.18 to 9.5 as well. It could’ve been 100 plus. That’s back to April standards. We’ll call it a mulligan and move on but the recent history of this team doesn’t fill me with confidence.

The weeks after the bye, I agree, were brilliant. They’ve got it in them.

Yeah if the bolded is still an issue for us in the next couple of years, we’ll have to ask some serious questions.
You’re saying the effort was okay, on what I saw I’d disagree but obviously respectfully, you’re a quality poster. You must have seen things I didn’t. I’d watch it again and all but..

20.18 to 9.5 as well. It could’ve been 100 plus. That’s back to April standards. We’ll call it a mulligan and move on but the recent history of this team doesn’t fill me with confidence.

The weeks after the bye, I agree, were brilliant. They’ve got it in them.
I'd consider the game yesterday an outlier IMO. The best teams in the comp have their bad days too.

I'd consider the game yesterday an outlier IMO. The best teams in the comp have their bad days too.
This week will tell the story.
Another team with quality all over the field, so we need to bring elite pressure for the whole game. If we do that, then we stay in the game.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Loser mentality around here.

Why do you only post when we are going shit?

We played 6 weeks of pretty solid football and after one poor game you are absolutely going off your head. Seriously just chill, you'll give yourself a hernia expecting us to be on every week.

FWIW I was furious after the game. I organised my whole day around watching it on telly and what we trotted out was absolutely insipid. BUT - the only reason I did that was because I've been to every Melbourne game since the bye and it's been the first time in years I've had fun watching us and been proud of what we are dishing up. So for the love of god stop being such a ****ing downer!

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Well beaten v swamsn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back