Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking that the Ballarat game will shape up as one of the best games of the final round. Because there is so much at stake with currently 7th placed Bulldogs playing 4th placed GWS separated only by one game, that if the AFL were to shift the game, then they need to call it now, but who would they dislodge from Marvel on that weekend and shift to play in Ballarat in lieu? Perhaps Saint Kilda and Carlton? Well that's definitely not going to happen with one club having well over 60000 members and the other close to 90000.

At the start of the season, when doing the fixtures, the AFL has no clue as to what the final eight is going to look like so they put GWS which has FA Victorian support against the Bulldogs in Ballarat. If this season had gone the other way for both clubs and they were struggling to make the eight, would we even be having this conversation? Nobody can predict this at the start of any season. Consider, this time last year some of you were reading Bevo's obituary from your club, and who would have predicted the collapse of Richmond so quickly?

Certainly the Bulldogs FC will still walk away making much more money off this coming Ballarat game with 10000 of their supporters at the match than playing in front of 40,000 at Marvel. So the club management will be happy and deem it a raging success from the business point of view. I do hope that the Bulldogs re-sign with Ballarat later in the year, but perhaps add some conditions with it that in the long term will benefit the club's members.

On a different note, I was at the North Ballarat Sports Club yesterday and took the time to check out the oval condition. As I said a few weeks ago, it was very wet and chopped up around the goals and centre bounce areas. Yesterday it was looking much better. It has dried out a lot and the muddy patches gone. They likely won't be playing on it now for the next two weeks in preparation for the 24th, so it should be in pristine condition for the game.

Oh yes ... And don't let the sun shining in these images fool you. It was still only 9 degrees outside when these were taken ;)

IMG_20240806_111336_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240806_111343_HDR.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking that the Ballarat game will shape up as one of the best games of the final round. Because there is so much at stake with currently 7th placed Bulldogs playing 4th placed GWS separated only by one game, that if the AFL were to shift the game, then they need to call it now, but who would they dislodge from Marvel on that weekend and shift to play in Ballarat in lieu?

At the start of the season, when doing the fixtures, the AFL has no clue as to what the final eight is going to look like so they put GWS which has FA Victorian support against the Bulldogs in Ballarat. If this season had gone the other way for both clubs and they were struggling to make the eight, would we even be having this conversation? Nobody can predict this at the start of any season. Consider, this time last year some of you were reading Bevo's obituary from your club, and who would have predicted the collapse of Richmond so quickly?

Certainly the Bulldogs FC will still walk away making much more money off this coming Ballarat game with 10000 of their supporters at the match than playing in front of 40,000 at Marvel. So the club management will be happy and deem it a raging success from the business point of view. I do hope that the Bulldogs re-sign with Ballarat later in the year, but perhaps add some conditions with it that in the long term will benefit the club's members.

On a different note, I was at the North Ballarat Sports Club yesterday and took the time to check out the oval condition. As I said a few weeks ago, it was very wet and chopped up around the goals and centre bounce areas. Yesterday it was looking much better. It has dried out a lot and the muddy patches gone. They likely won't be playing on it now for the next two weeks in preparation for the 24th, so it should be in pristine condition for the game.

Oh yes ... And don't let the sun shining in these images fool you. It was still only 9 degrees outside when these were taken ;)

View attachment 2071171

View attachment 2071172
Watching us smash Adelaide there last year was a highlight of recent years for me. Bring it on!

Having finalist teams playing on the Sunday in the last round of the year might be an issue with possible concussion protocols compared to a finalist team playing on the Friday in the final round. During finals it’s impacts teams equally. Teams who go through to Prelim deserve the advantage if it happens.

Watching us smash Adelaide there last year was a highlight of recent years for me. Bring it on!
On the bright side, GWS have only ever played twice at Mars and only once against the Dogs there. If the weather is cold on the day, that would likely work to your advantage.

Having finalist teams playing on the Sunday in the last round of the year might be an issue with possible concussion protocols compared to a finalist team playing on the Friday in the final round. During finals it’s impacts teams equally. Teams who go through to Prelim deserve the advantage if it happens.
Am I correct in saying someone getting a concussion on the Sunday of Rnd 24 will only effect a player if they are playing on the Thursday of Week 1 of the finals

Even if we play on the Sunday of last round, first final won't be until the Thursday week, which is the 11-day marker, one shy of the threshold for concussion protocols. In all honesty though, I can't remember us bringing anyone back even close to the 12-day marker, so it is a moot point for our club at least.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even if we play on the Sunday of last round, first final won't be until the Thursday week, which is the 11-day marker, one shy of the threshold for concussion protocols. In all honesty though, I can't remember us bringing anyone back even close to the 12-day marker, so it is a moot point for our club at least.
As a North Melbourne supporter, I'd like to say that I wish that my club had your dilemma. ;)

I'm thinking that the Ballarat game will shape up as one of the best games of the final round. Because there is so much at stake with currently 7th placed Bulldogs playing 4th placed GWS separated only by one game, that if the AFL were to shift the game, then they need to call it now, but who would they dislodge from Marvel on that weekend and shift to play in Ballarat in lieu? Perhaps Saint Kilda and Carlton? Well that's definitely not going to happen with one club having well over 60000 members and the other close to 90000.

View attachment 2071171

View attachment 2071172
Remember all temperatures are taken in the shade. So it would have been cold in that shade sure, but beautiful in the sun. A sunny 9 is way warmer than cloudy 15, if you’re in the sun?

No shade to Ballarat but shame this game isn't at Marvel, would have been the 3.20pm Sunday game and gotten 40k+ easy to it.

40K vs GWS? Carlton and Essendon usually gets around 36k odd against interstate at Marvel unless they are absolutely flying. Dogs after a flag was 31k.

If they could get 40k against interstate they would not sell games.

My little town nested in between, has seen a lot of new estates in the past decade, I HATE it. Used to be able to drive around no worries. These days during school and post work times, I am stuck at intersections forever waiting for 100s of cars in a long line to go past before I can even get out. It will get worse.

The problem is, the governments seldom plan for the future ahead. They only react to "now" when it becomes a problem. By the time the said project is complete to improve the infrastructure, they already need another upgrade because the amount of users had doubled in that time. So its a permanent bottle neck of trying to keep up, instead of getting ahead.

There is only one two lane road, that is actually single lane most of the way, between Geelong and Ballarat. And other roads via Ballan/Bacchus Marsh, or around the western side through the volcanic zones, are littered with cracked and pot hole filled roads that get little love at all. I refuses to drive on them at night ever. So everyone heads to and crowds the one single road, which is the Midland.
Yes the townships of Lethbridge and Bannockburn have gone gang busters outside Geelong and absolutely no road upgrades to get those people into and out of Geelong.

That might be true against some clubs, but GWS play a fair bit in Canberra, which can get very icy. They have played when it's snowing.
That's true, I forgot about the Canberra factor. Yes, it will be a tough old tussle then. Perhaps we can pray for Ballarat to deliver a heat wave ... Okay, who am I kidding. Maybe we might have a better chance of praying for one of Ballarat's two dormant volcanos (Buninyong and Warrenheip) to come back out of semi-retirement after 10,000 years :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying: :praying:

Mars games are my favourite of the year. Its a good 2 hour drive from where i live. Love a footy roadtrip. I drove to adelaide for gatherround too. Was awesome fun.

Mars games are my favourite of the year. Its a good 2 hour drive from where i live. Love a footy roadtrip. I drove to adelaide for gatherround too. Was awesome fun.
My family love them too. A 2 hour drive from Horsham and Warrnambool, is a lot nicer than a 3 or 4 hour drive, especially with young kids.

Remember all temperatures are taken in the shade. So it would have been cold in that shade sure, but beautiful in the sun. A sunny 9 is way warmer than cloudy 15, if you’re in the sun?
Trust me, those photos were taken from the inside warmth of the bistro lounge 😉

On the bright side, GWS have only ever played twice at Mars and only once against the Dogs there. If the weather is cold on the day, that would likely work to your advantage.

Yes they have played us once at Mars and we all know how that ended.

They are 1 from 1 at Mars vs Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Western Bulldogs and their partnership with Ballarat a success

Remove this Banner Ad

Back