News Western Bulldogs Offseason 2013-2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Neville Stibbard - talent identification expert that worked with Pagan's Kangaroos in the '90s - has joined the Bulldogs in a part-time talent identification role.
TALENT identification expert Neville Stibbard has joined the Western Bulldogs' recruiting team.

The former North Melbourne and Greater Western Sydney recruiting chief will have a part-time role with the Bulldogs in 2014, adding to the club's scouting of under-18 football around the country.

Stibbard was with the Kangaroos through the club's successful 1990s era with coach Denis Pagan, and remained its recruiting boss under coach Dean Laidley, including when the club made the 2007 preliminary final.

After 16 seasons with the club he left in 2008 and was employed by the AFL to be a talent consultant to Gold Coast and Greater Western Sydney before they joined the competition, before he was appointed the Giants' head of recruiting in 2010.

In previous seasons he has been a member of the Giants' recruiting network and part of its Academy program.

The Bulldogs have centred their rebuild in recent years on the draft, with three top-10 selections – Jake Stringer, Jackson Macrae and Marcus Bontempelli – in the last two years.

Recruiting manager Simon Dalrymple also selected midfielder Nathan Hrovat and father-son Lachie Hunter in 2012, both exciting players of the future, while Luke Dahlhaus was taken as a rookie in 2010.
Excellent get. The man knows success and knows how to identify talent. Great work Dogs.

* Apologies for quoting the whole article but I can't access the URL to post it, as I got the article via the app.

Seems like hes done a good job, although not a fan of GWS' drafting. Still cant complain with extra staff.
Neither am I, but his role is in talent identification rather than selection; ie. he's more of an U18 scout than someone that will decide who we actually take. I think most will agree that GWS have identified talent quite well, but have been a bit unbalanced in their list build.

Neither am I, but his role is in talent identification rather than selection; ie. he's more of an U18 scout than someone that will decide who we actually take. I think most will agree that GWS have identified talent quite well, but have been a bit unbalanced in their list build.

That's the point Dannnnnnnn, they were not so much worrying about a balanced list, it was all about getting the most gifted footballers they could in their first few years.
They will have plenty of talent to trade with in the next couple of years.

Ruckman Will Minson has been appointed to the AFL Players’ Association Board, alongside Geelong’s Jimmy Bartel and Adelaide’s Patrick Dangerfield for the 2014 season.

The trio have assumed the new roles, replacing of former Board members Jason Blake and Adam Selwood who retired from AFL football last season and the Bulldogs own Bob Murphy who relinquished his title.

“I’m really excited about joining the board – it’s a great honour,” Minson said.

“As the game grows, which it has done at a rapid rate in the last ten years, the importance of a body that represents the players and the players’ interests is enormous.

“As the game continues to grow, that will become even more significant.”

Minson said he has always had an interest in the AFLPA and their role as the governing body for players, recalling former player and now Bulldogs Chief Executive Simon Garlick as the Club’s AFLPA delegate when he came to the kennel.

“We’ve always had people who are genuinely interested [in the ‘PA],” Minson said.

“You can’t just have people in those positions for the sake of it.

“Garlo always spoke very well of the Players’ Association and I’ve been able to see the organisation grow in my time in football.

“It’s been incredible how much the organisation has developed and its advocacy for players and strength as an organisation is quite incredible. It’s something I’m very proud to say I’m a part of.”

Jimmy Bartel's Western Bulldogs analysis in The Age

I love watching the Western Bulldogs. Having spent nine years being taught by Brendan McCartney, you can see what he is teaching the young Doggies - outnumber your opponents, play tough, contested football and never concede anything. Libba, Wallis, Macrae, Stringer, Hrovat - to name a few - are surely reaping the benefits of training next to champions in Griffen, Cooney, Murphy and Gia.

Jimmy got out the straw a bit for that article but I think what he said about us was genuine with so many of his mates at the club - hopefully he's the next Cat in the red, white and blue if we're adding any more.

Jimmy got out the straw a bit for that article but I think what he said about us was genuine with so many of his mates at the club - hopefully he's the next Cat in the red, white and blue if we're adding any more.

Pick 60 odd in the next draft would be nice - I've wanted Bartel to play for us for years.

Pick 60 odd in the next draft would be nice - I've wanted Bartel to play for us for years.
Imagine the hype, getting Bartel as his career starts to wind down and he can transition into a full time assistant coaching role after a couple of years.
One of the most likable and decorated players in the game. If he wants to play a few years into his 30s he might find he adds a fourth premiership to the collection!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He would be a nice replacement for Gia in terms of eye candy as well;)
Could put him as the face of our membership campaign and try and trick some female Geelong supporters into buying Doggies memberships?

That's the point Dannnnnnnn, they were not so much worrying about a balanced list, it was all about getting the most gifted footballers they could in their first few years.
They will have plenty of talent to trade with in the next couple of years.

I tend to suspect that GWS's recruiting was influenced a bit too much by the expectation that they would be able to trade for more high quality experienced players from other clubs. Top draft order mids and key forwards make pretty good trade bait. Their problem lay in that not a lot of established players from good clubs want to go and play in Sydney, for the second side. Sydney is seen as one thing, GWS to this point in time, as something else altogether.

Don't know where to put this and don't know how to do links BUT the Guardian Australia web site is doing their preview of the Doggies today. Looks like it could have been written by some one who reads BF and I don't think there is anything there that hasn't been said on here - except for the bit about Tutts great finish to last year. I must have missed that.

2013 LADDER FINISH: 15th

ARRIVALS: Marcus Bontempelli, Stewart Crameri, Sam Darley, Matthew Fuller, Mitch Honeychurch

DEPARTURES: Dylan Addison, Daniel Cross, Nick Lower, Lukas Markovic, Patrick Veszpremi

Click here for more 2014 season previews

BEST 22
B: Dale Morris, Jordan Roughead, Brett Goodes
HB: Jason Johannisen, Michael Talia, Robert Murphy
C: Easton Wood, Ryan Griffen, Jack Macrae
HF: Koby Stevens, Stewart Crameri, Adam Cooney
F: Lachie Hunter, Tom Campbell, Luke Dahlhaus
R: Will Minson, Mitch Wallis, Tom Liberatore
I/C: Tory Dickson, Jake Stringer, Matthew Boyd
SUB: Daniel Giansiracusa
MEDICAL ROOM
Jarrad Grant (foot) 1-2 weeks
Check out the AFL's injury list

PASS MARK FOR 2014: Many believe the Dogs can win at least as many games as last year (eight) and still improve by eradicating the thrashings they suffered early in the season. A favourable draw and the ongoing development of their array of talented youngsters should see the Dogs record 10 wins.

NEEDS A BIG YEAR: Liam Jones finished third in the AFL for contested marks in 2011 but since then the 23-year-old's career has stagnated and he's spent time in the VFL. Jones worked hard on his fitness over the summer and Stewart Crameri's arrival as the number one forward should free him up.

FIRST FIVE GAMES: West Coast (PS), North Mebourne (ES), Richmond (ES), Greater Western Sydney (SO), Carlton (ES)

Click here to see the Western Bulldogs 2014 fixture

PLAY TWICE: Gold Coast, Greater Western Sydney, Melbourne, North Melbourne, Essendon
TOUGHEST RUN: The first four games loom large with assignments against West Coast in Perth, North Melbourne and Richmond at Etihad and then a rising Giants outfit in Canberra.

DREAM SCENARIO:
Liam Jones becomes the certified star power forward the club has craved since Barry Hall and the club's collection of talented youngsters continue their highly promising development.

WORST NIGHTMARE: With Dale Morris in the twilight of his impressive career, the Dogs could ill afford to have emerging key defenders Jordan Roughead and Michael Talia not come on as expected.

PRESSURE RATING ON THE COACH: 6/10. The Dogs have shown gradual improvement in each of Brendan McCartney's three seasons at the club and that resulted in a contract extension until the end of 2016.

Brendan-McCartney.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

News Western Bulldogs Offseason 2013-2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back