What AFL record will stand forever?

Remove this Banner Ad

Toby Greene’s 25 sanctions and counting …. He’ll break 30 for sure

I've seen Jim Stynes consecutive games record mentioned in here.
Jack Crisp is currently 15 games away from equalling it.

It's impossible now for anyone to break Collingwood's Keith Bromage record as the youngest ever to play an AFL/VFL match. He played his first game in 1953 (a 'Pies premiership year!) at 15 years and 287 days.

I can think of one record that will never get beaten - youngest ever player to debut, which is currently held by Keith Bromage, who was 15 years, 287 days old when he debuted with the Pies in 1953.

With players not eligible to nominate for the draft until they're 17 or so, there is no way that record will ever be broken, unless they eliminate the draft in the future.
Understand what you are both saying but it is apparently not correct. Bromage is easily Collingwood's youngest ever, but official VFL records list Claud (or Claude) Clough of St Kilda debuting at 15 years, 209 days in 1900.

For a slightly different spin, I'd be interested in the youngest player ever drafted to the VFL/AFL since the draft started. ANy ideas? I think Steven Koops is (and always will be) the youngest ever drafted by Freo - not sure who is the youngest ever drafted overall?

I'm pretty sure if you tried to stand an AFL Record up, it'd fall over.
So true that. The Record used to just be the greatest footy publication ever, really fully of special insights. It is just trash now, and super expensive trash at that. So sad, and yet so symptomatic of the decline of print media and journalism in Australia. Rant over.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10 wins out of 70 games for Simmo / WC in a stretch. No coach will survive that long ever again with that performance.

I assume it’s a record.

10 wins out of 70 games for Simmo / WC in a stretch. No coach will survive that long ever again with that performance.

I assume it’s a record.
Could be. Had a quick look and closest I could see was a St Kilda coach in the 80's won 10 out of 62 and a University coach in the 1910's won 17 out of 88. Edit: actually, he won 12 out of 72 with university ( including a stretch of 2 out of 54 in his last 3 seasons), but also won 5 later on with Melbourne.

I assume it’s a record.
Clarko is operating at a similar % at the moment, but you'd think (hope) a few more wins are coming next year.

Shane Mumford for eating the most sausages ever

St Kilda's 98 losses from 100 matches 1897-1903.
They were only in the League because:
1. They played at a ground (the St Kilda Cricket Ground) which was very well located regarding public transport.
2. Their players were regarded as 'very nice chaps' and 'good sports'.
3. Their rival for a place in the league, Port Melbourne were regarded as 'unsporting thugs'!

4th quarter last season between Brisbane and Melbourne, when the lights went out at the Gabba.
46 minute delay? That’s what happened in Cats v Hawks on Easter Monday 2024 with the electrical storm

Understand what you are both saying but it is apparently not correct. Bromage is easily Collingwood's youngest ever, but official VFL records list Claud (or Claude) Clough of St Kilda debuting at 15 years, 209 days in 1900.

For a slightly different spin, I'd be interested in the youngest player ever drafted to the VFL/AFL since the draft started. ANy ideas? I think Steven Koops is (and always will be) the youngest ever drafted by Freo - not sure who is the youngest ever drafted overall?

Not sure anybody beats Troy Schwarze. He was actually 16yo when he got drafted in 1998 (a month or two shy of 17yo).

He didn’t play his first game until 2000 when he was 18yo.

Dustin Fletcher was 17yo when he joined Essendon in 1992 but I don’t think he was technically drafted - I don’t think father-sons were part of the draft then, you just went there. He was also still 17yo when he debuted in Round 2 1993. Also the second oldest player ever at 40yo when he played his last game.

Brad Ebert was 17 years 362 days old when he debuted for West Coast. He would be the last 17 year old to have played I'd imagine?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back