What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny that everyone in the footy department that has seniority over bevo or experience on par with his has been moved on bar Chris Grant. Odd that.
Now we find out he had an argument with our gun recruiter and all of a sudden we have a new one with the express job description of finding the player Beveridge wants.
Sounds like a bunch of "yes men" to me.

Beveridge shouldn't have the final say precisely because he gets the chop if it goes belly up. Did you not see the havoc wreaked by Voss? Hell even one of my favourite coaches Rocket Eade ****** us with a bunch of short term thinking that left us with a shocking list at the end of his tenure. That's why we instituted a list manager in the first place. To stand up to a coach and oversee the long term health of our list.
The only way this works as stated is if Bev gets a 10 year contract.

But, Bevo is damned if he does and doesn't. If the list/recruiting manager had full control, we would complain they were skewing our picks (Clayton), if Bevo has control, we complain. It's a lose-lose scenario and it's one in which you'll never be happy with the outcome.

But, Bevo is damned if he does and doesn't. If the list/recruiting manager had full control, we would complain they were skewing our picks (Clayton), if Bevo has control, we complain. It's a lose-lose scenario and it's one in which you'll never be happy with the outcome.
For the most part, people seemed happy with the system where dalrymple picked gun kids and Bevo coached the team.

A big say is fine. Final say is not.
I think I actually prefer final say to big say.

Final say could just be a simple "yes/no", that would only disagree with the recruiter when there is a player who Bevo simply doesn't think would be very coachable. Big say could be "I want a midfielder with a beautiful kick at this pick" and Christian Howard could be on his way to Footscray faster than Jason Tutt runs himself into traffic.

Hopefully the club and Bevo have the sense to not give him that much control.

I actually have no idea what some of you are worried about and even talking about.

The list staff should talk to Bev and ask him what he thinks he needs to improve the list.

He would say a CHB or CHF, endurance players, big bodies or whatever. I doubt very much he would name players unless they are already in the system where he might say “I want Ollie Wines” for example.

Any organisation asks its manager what tools he needs to perform and then good organisations give those tools to them.

I think I actually prefer final say to big say.

Final say could just be a simple "yes/no", that would only disagree with the recruiter when there is a player who Bevo simply doesn't think would be very coachable. Big say could be "I want a midfielder with a beautiful kick at this pick" and Christian Howard could be on his way to Footscray faster than Jason Tutt runs himself into traffic.

Hopefully the club and Bevo have the sense to not give him that much control.
Or final say could mean.
"I want to trade our first two picks for Aaron Hall and Alex Fasolo." And us doing it.
However a big say could mean "hey I want a quick mid" and the list managers/recruiters looking at the field identifying a better option and being able to pick them because they have a better grasp on talent and our list needs.

I'd love to see what Bevo could do with a list that he actually shaped. I still think best available on early draft picks is the way to go but Bev knows the types of cattle he needs to implement the game plan. I think he should give the directives, the list manager should be in charge of retaining who we want to keep and chasing who we want to chase, the recruiters should be identifying best available talent overall and best available needs based talent. The two players I'm aware of Bevo requesting are Daniel and Gowers and both have been revelations. Daniel hasn't found his 2016 form again yet but keeping in mind how late he went in the draft I still consider it a success.

I'd love to see what Bevo could do with a list that he actually shaped. I still think best available on early draft picks is the way to go but Bev knows the types of cattle he needs to implement the game plan. I think he should give the directives, the list manager should be in charge of retaining who we want to keep and chasing who we want to chase, the recruiters should be identifying best available talent overall and best available needs based talent. The two players I'm aware of Bevo requesting are Daniel and Gowers and both have been revelations. Daniel hasn't found his 2016 form again yet but keeping in mind how late he went in the draft I still consider it a success.

Beveridge also brought over that dud from Hawthorn (Kelly) and was very keen on bringing Matthew Lobbe in for a 1st round pick.

Dalrymple was a big fan of Daniel...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What about the woman who requested the selfie with Bevo, boom and who would be laughing
then ?
Shouldn't have been allowed, but it was whilst he was in a public space.

It's funny that everyone in the footy department that has seniority over bevo or experience on par with his has been moved on bar Chris Grant. Odd that.
Now we find out he had an argument with our gun recruiter and all of a sudden we have a new one with the express job description of finding the player Beveridge wants.
Sounds like a bunch of "yes men" to me.

Beveridge shouldn't have the final say precisely because he gets the chop if it goes belly up. Did you not see the havoc wreaked by Voss? Hell even one of my favourite coaches Rocket Eade ****** us with a bunch of short term thinking that left us with a shocking list at the end of his tenure. That's why we instituted a list manager in the first place. To stand up to a coach and oversee the long term health of our list.
The only way this works as stated is if Bev gets a 10 year contract.
Do you think their are many at the Hawks who disagree with Clarko?

I would have thought it only natural the Senior Coach has a big say.

I wouldn't count Kennett everyone knows he is a nuftie they just use him as the mouthpiece for publicity and the media lap it up.
You wouldn't because it's devastating to your point. He's their president and one that has overseen one of the most successful periods of any club ever. You honestly think a club president and what he says has no effect on that?

You wouldn't because it's devastating to your point. He's their president and one that has overseen one of the most successful periods of any club ever. You honestly think a club president and what he says has no effect on that?
LOL , Ok if you say so

Remember when he wanted to sack Clarko? Do you seriously believe they wouldn't have sacked Kennett first? He was the beneficiary of the hard work done by his predecessor and the fact he had a great coach who in the majority of cases has the big and final say!

LOL , Ok if you say so

Remember when he wanted to sack Clarko? Do you seriously believe they wouldn't have sacked Kennett first? He was the beneficiary of the hard work done by his predecessor and the fact he had a great coach who in the majority of cases has the big and final say!
He never wanted to sack Clarkson. He mused that maybe it was time he moved on to freshen up (after he had finished his term as president). The media beat it up.

I'd highly doubt Clarkson has the final say in list management.

I am assuming the woman was a Bulldogs supporter (do we know this as fact?) so Bev was just thanking her for coming to the game and more importantly, staying till the end. Nice gesture by him and it was a request ,not a hands on action so good we can still have this in our game.
Well said, the obvious difference between the Wood and Beveridge incidents is consent. Wood was touched without it. The lady asked Bevo for a photo- she didn't force the photo onto him. Similarly, fans could touch players if it was mutually consentual (like a high five).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back