What They're Saying - The Bulldogs Media Thread - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what it is.
Im certainly no fan of Stringer. Believed his own press when some media whore named him "the Package" for 2 seconds in one game. We loved it as it was a bit of fun.
I don't think Bevo is the type of bloke to discard someone for no reason.
What worries me is the look on Bevo's face after these losses which apparently can be explained by being the youngest team in the comp, fueds between high profile people (Gordon/Alberti), Gordon being sooooo quiet lately, Easton and Bont not looking right.....
There's more but you get the picture maybe

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I'm with you. All those things you mention start to make you wonder considering the complete lack of spirit on field.
Not convinced Bev will be with us too much longer.

Difference here is that who would have wanted them? Basically had to stay as no one would have picked them up as they'd had no success. Bevo's won a premiership - he'd easily get a new coaching role elsewhere. Buckley compelled to stay as he's a pieman who the president appointed - had to stick with it.
Bevo will never be sacked (while Gordon is there at least) but if he's not happy he could easily walk.
Hardwick and B Scott are living proof that you don't walk or get sacked after a bad season and a half!

Difference here is that who would have wanted them? Basically had to stay as no one would have picked them up as they'd had no success. Bevo's won a premiership - he'd easily get a new coaching role elsewhere. Buckley compelled to stay as he's a pieman who the president appointed - had to stick with it.
Bevo will never be sacked (while Gordon is there at least) but if he's not happy he could easily walk.

GWS would first enquire about Clarko's situation and if Bevo was available he would be no.2 priority.
However now that Hardwick is a premiership coach he has currency too.

I'm going to say it now, its purely speculative and has no basis, if we sacked Beveridge this year based on performance I wouldn't support the club anymore. It'd be total amateur hour.
We would need the Trinity Grammar Alumni to call for Gordon’s Head and reinstate Beveridge if that were to occur.

I'm going to say it now, its purely speculative and has no basis, if we sacked Beveridge this year based on performance I wouldn't support the club anymore. It'd be total amateur hour.
It won’t or couldn’t happen. If it did I’d be with you too, but this group is just too young to expect much from. Wouldn’t happen with Chris Grant there.
We all have questions but we only have two premiership coaches at this club and Charlie has passed on. Bev needs to be a Bulldog for life in one capacity or another. We had a crack on Friday night but were overwhelmed by a more committed, older, stronger,hungry team. That will be us again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm with you. All those things you mention start to make you wonder considering the complete lack of spirit on field.
Not convinced Bev will be with us too much longer.
It wasn't a complete lack of spirit on Friday. The team was quite clearly rooted after an exhausting game the week before.

Adelaide demonstrated the same level of fadeout, albeit against a much better side, so the result was more staggering.

If we're jumping to these sorts of ridiculous conclusions about Beveridge with no proof 10 rounds into a rebuild, I'd hate to see this forum next year, or the year after that. This thing is going to take a good solid 24 months to yield any sort of discernible result on-field. We are effectively fielding a team of babies each week, with our best player going at about 60% fitness. The historical numbers say that the super young teams aren't going to be winning many.

4-6 after 10 rounds with a team blooding this much youth is bloody encouraging to me.

A recap of our minute on Footy Classified
Hutchy brings up whats wrong with the dogs
Juddy says we are simply a young side and the 2nd half fadeout is typical of young teams. Also mentioned a loss of experience from grand final side and maybe 1 too many injuries to experience players
Lloyd stated how long can youth be used as an excuse and mentioned how wood, jj and Bont are down on form from previous years. Then showed a clip of bont with multiple fumbles from weekends game. Mentioned he would like to see Boyd and Schache in the same team for a while. Mentioned we have been struggling for 2 years now to which C.Wilson actually corrected him and said its been this year and half of last year.

Thought it was a pretty fair assessment for 60 seconds. Possibly a bit soft if anything. To not be able to score a goal in a half at Etihad,warrants a bit more criticism IMO

A recap of our minute on Footy Classified
Hutchy brings up whats wrong with the dogs
Juddy says we are simply a young side and the 2nd half fadeout is typical of young teams. Also mentioned a loss of experience from grand final side and maybe 1 too many injuries to experience players
Lloyd stated how long can youth be used as an excuse and mentioned how wood, jj and Bont are down on form from previous years. Then showed a clip of bont with multiple fumbles from weekends game. Mentioned he would like to see Boyd and Schache in the same team for a while. Mentioned we have been struggling for 2 years now to which C.Wilson actually corrected him and said its been this year and half of last year.

Thought it was a pretty fair assessment for 60 seconds. Possibly a bit soft if anything. To not be able to score a goal in a half at Etihad,warrants a bit more criticism IMO
Given most clubs have youth as an excuse for a few years, I would've thought us having it for half a season so far isn't all that long lloydy.

It wasn't a complete lack of spirit on Friday. The team was quite clearly rooted after an exhausting game the week before.

Adelaide demonstrated the same level of fadeout, albeit against a much better side, so the result was more staggering.

If we're jumping to these sorts of ridiculous conclusions about Beveridge with no proof 10 rounds into a rebuild, I'd hate to see this forum next year, or the year after that. This thing is going to take a good solid 24 months to yield any sort of discernible result on-field. We are effectively fielding a team of babies each week, with our best player going at about 60% fitness. The historical numbers say that the super young teams aren't going to be winning many.

4-6 after 10 rounds with a team blooding this much youth is bloody encouraging to me.

I'm not " jumping to ridiculous conclusions "
I don't want Bev to go anywhere . No way he will be sacked , but he gives me the impression he is the sort of bloke that will walk away if he thinks he is not making a positive difference. He is just a great human being from what I see.
But I know f-all , just as I suspect you do.

I'm in for the long haul just like I have been for over 50 odd years and not overly concerned with the win / loss considering our age profile , but if you are not concerned about the decline / lack of progression of most of our list you have blinkers on.

I'm not " jumping to ridiculous conclusions "
I don't want Bev to go anywhere . No way he will be sacked , but he gives me the impression he is the sort of bloke that will walk away if he thinks he is not making a positive difference. He is just a great human being from what I see.
But I know f-all , just as I suspect you do.

I'm in for the long haul just like I have been for over 50 odd years and not overly concerned with the win / loss considering our age profile , but if you are not concerned about the decline / lack of progression of most of our list you have blinkers on.
If you're willing to bring up the "most of our list" that are regularly in the team that have statistically gone backwards under beveridge the past two seasons I'll eagerly discuss it.

I also know, missing from our 2016 premiership team is:
  • Jake Stringer - Our best goalkicker from that year and the year before (I know what he's looked like in the following year. Its still true.)
  • Dale Morris - Our best shutdown defender
  • Joel Hamling - Handy shutdown half back who understandably took the money
  • Matthew Boyd - All australian that year - 290 games experience
  • Liam Picken - The 2nd best player that finals series after Josh Kennedy
  • Marcus Bontempelli with any hint of lateral movement
  • Any semblance of Jordan Roughead's footballing ability - His one very good year.
  • Bob Murphy's Leadership. 300 games experience

In my opinion, those 6 or 7 absentees plus the idiotic shuffle of assistant roles would have far more to do with the W-L column than a couple of bit-piece players appearing to go backwards.

If you're willing to bring up the "most of our list" that are regularly in the team that have statistically gone backwards under beveridge the past two seasons I'll eagerly discuss it.

• Jake Stringer - Our best goalkicker from that year and the year before (I know what he's looked like in the following year. Its still true.)
  • Any semblance of Jordan Roughead's footballing ability - His one very good year.

In my opinion, those 6 or 7 absentees plus the idiotic shuffle of assistant roles would have far more to do with the W-L column than a couple of bit-piece players appearing to go backwards.

Don't disagree with any of that , and of course this has had a huge impact as far as winning more games , but it is easy to make a list of all those that have regressed or not come on like you would expect.
And am including a number of premiership players .
How do we explain that ?

These are all good points that I broadly agree with - the only quibble I have is the “couple of bit piece players” going backwards. I’d say Dahlhaus, Wood, Johannisen, Daniel, Biggs, Smith, Roughead and Boyd are all well below what they’ve shown previously, whether they’re poor in the team or not able to get out of the seconds. That’s eight of the premiership 22 - many of whom should be in the sweet spot of their career - letting the side down at a time when they’re needed most.

That’s the part of all this that gets me irate during games. Naughton, Richards, Williams, Lipinski and Gowers (for example) aren’t stinking it up - they’re all remarkably consistent compared to their so-called senior teammates.

OK I'm going to say it, I'm pretty sick of hearing Robert Murphy in the media.

That's ok, don't feel bad. I don't turn him off every time he comes on, sometimes even like him, more often not so much, yes, he is one of our greats but at the end of the day as a media personality / journo he is basically a North Fitzroy Trendy.

All-in-all I think it is good that an ex player of ours is a prominent media identity, he is giving the club profile every time he is on, even if he is a bit cafe latte for me.

Tom liberatore is also a pretty important player we have missing, along with the 2016 version of clay smith the forward pressure tackling machine. Both played no footy this year.

That's ok, don't feel bad. I don't turn him off every time he comes on, sometimes even like him, more often not so much, yes, he is one of our greats but at the end of the day as a media personality / journo he is basically a North Fitzroy Trendy.

All-in-all I think it is good that an ex player of ours is a prominent media identity, he is giving the club profile every time he is on, even if he is a bit cafe latte for me.
Yeah, I love the Bulldogs and I love podcasts, so I thought great, a Bulldogs podcast from Bob. I’ve listened to podcasts for over a decade, long before most people knew they even existed and have a keen ear for a good one. I’ve tried a couple of times but I can’t listen to Bobs.

These are all good points that I broadly agree with - the only quibble I have is the “couple of bit piece players” going backwards. I’d say Dahlhaus, Wood, Johannisen, Daniel, Biggs, Smith, Roughead and Boyd are all well below what they’ve shown previously, whether they’re poor in the team or not able to get out of the seconds. That’s eight of the premiership 22 - many of whom should be in the sweet spot of their career - letting the side down at a time when they’re needed most.

That’s the part of all this that gets me irate during games. Naughton, Richards, Williams, Lipinski and Gowers (for example) aren’t stinking it up - they’re all remarkably consistent compared to their so-called senior teammates.
It looks like guys are going backwards when we are getting beaten. There is not much sometimes in the AFL between winning and losing. Mid level players look great in winning teams and terrible in losing teams. We are losing for many reasons so we say the mid level players are going backwards?
And this is not so much a ‘rebuild’. But a ‘grow up’. We have ‘built’ our list, now is the maturing. We need to give what we are doing a different name. Carlton are ‘rebuilding’.

My question is (I genuinely dont know), are those guys (JJ, Dahl, Wood, Boyd) actually statistically going backwards or are their mistakes more frustrating because we are losing games?

Roughead has never been linear in my opinion. He had one really solid year in 2016 and the rest has been pretty mediocre. Its not like he's ever really been building in an upward fashion - constantly injured.

Biggs, I honestly think is the same player he always has been. He just hasn't stood out because he's part of a far more inexperienced group back there that hasn't covered for him.

Daniel I'll give you. Very patchy when he was super consistent in that 2016 team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back