List Mgmt. What to do with picks 7 & 8

What do you think we should be doing with picks 7 & 8?

• Go to the draft with both picks and select best possible players

Votes: 30 20.5%
  • Go to the draft with both picks and select best possible midfielders

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • Trade one pick for a future first and take one pick to the draft

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • Trade one pick for an A grade player and take one pick to the draft

Votes: 55 37.7%
  • Upgrade both picks to a top 3 pick and go to the draft

Votes: 16 11.0%
  • Trade both picks for two A grade players

Votes: 13 8.9%
  • Other (please elaborate)

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Stringer's contract should also include a minder, at least for the first season. I'm very wary of having this blow up in our faces, once again.

Minder for what? The way I see it his problem is attitude and I'm unsure a minder can help that. Even as poor as Stringer has been this year one of those 7 or 8 picks is likely to be worse than Stringer even on the form of this year and the guy is only 23 so if he gets things right he has 10 years left.

Need to stop ignoring the draft and hyping "next year".

Go to the draft.

Grab Coffield, Higgins, Cerra... Maybe Hayes. Get em in and start developing.

Sounds great but who? Im sure the club are trying but clubs have there A grade talent contracted and never want to lose them.

Both picks to the draft for me!

Well the club has been talking about trading players in and as the big fish have re-signed with their clubs I figure they must be into contracted players.

As a NITK-NFI I can only speculate.

Maybe it's more potential A-Grade and someone like Hall or Fiorini from Gold Coast for pick 8 and Armo. Or if they had another player in mind that wasn't a lock in our best 22.

Maybe Freo would trade Neale after an ordinary season by the whole team.

Maybe the dogs are shaken up and more than just Stringer are unhappy.

I don't really follow the potential draftees and was being tongue in cheek there.

Minder for what? The way I see it his problem is attitude and I'm unsure a minder can help that. Even as poor as Stringer has been this year one of those 7 or 8 picks is likely to be worse than Stringer even on the form of this year and the guy is only 23 so if he gets things right he has 10 years left.

A mentor for onfield, training and professionalism etc. ( I was obviously being a little facetious implying he needed a minder for after hours).

I don't have a problem getting him at all, but am a little wary of what we pay for him. He has shown he has x-factor, but the Saints, more than any other club have to get this pick right. Remember all the publicity around Jakey C even though it all happened before he signed with us?

For better or worse we have that reputation. As with Freeman ( for different reasons) it is buyer beware, but I am with the " be bold" camp. Maybe a change and second chance will be good for him, and consequently us.

Now that Jelly is out of the picture, I would be inclined to take both picks to the draft. Don't want to splurge on an established player for the sake of it, unless said player is a gun mid. Having said that, I wouldn't mind the following options:

1) Keep picks 7 & 8. With these two picks we should be able to snare two of Coffield, Higgins, Stephenson and possibly Cerra.
2) Trade picks 7 & 8 to someone like the blues for pick 3 and pick 15-17 (for Gibbs if he is traded to the crows). Pick up one of Dow, LDU and Rayner with pick 3. With pick 15-17 I'd try and trade this with the pies for Sidebottom or take a chance on O'Brien, Hayes or Garner as they would be a reach if we took them with picks 7 & 8.

Stringer for 2018 1st..

7,8 & armo to GC for 2, fiorini and their 2017 2nd

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
If you paid next year's for stringer and back yourself in, that would end up a pick between 10 and 15 which is OK.

There's also some decent free agents next year so if you nail the draft this year it won't matter about 2018... and we'll probably have players to trade worth decent currency.

If you paid next year's for stringer and back yourself in, that would end up a pick between 10 and 15 which is OK.

There's also some decent free agents next year so if you nail the draft this year it won't matter about 2018... and we'll probably have players to trade worth decent currency.
I think our supporters are underrating armo a bit..calling him damaged goods etc etc..what did Richmond get for deledio..1st rounder..similar age profile but different players..GC are a tough club to deal with but given their lack of mature bodies and the leadership he will offer..they might pay slightly over for him..

What's the point in getting Stringer ? We already have enough forwards , who are you going to drop to give him a game each week ?

I think Armo is no good as trade bait , he was injured all last year and no guarantee he will be right next year .

I've seen a number of people mentioning guys like Fiorini but I haven't seen him do anything . I assume if NOK was playing for another club people would be all over this thread saying we should get him because he's a ball getting gun .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think our supporters are underrating armo a bit..calling him damaged goods etc etc..what did Richmond get for deledio..1st rounder..similar age profile but different players..GC are a tough club to deal with but given their lack of mature bodies and the leadership he will offer..they might pay slightly over for him..

The difference is that GWS have tradepicks coming out of their dirty socks so they could afford to offer a first rounder to make sure they got their man although I don't think they realised he was going to be injured almost the entire year . The problem with Armo is we don't know if he has recovered yet . He had two operations and was still having trouble , he might be cooked , but I really hope not because i want us to keep him if he's fit he would be handy.

Find questions like this impossible & difficult to give a definitive answer without knowing the players involved.
People keep talking A Graders. Yep an A Grader is wanted...is someone like Lever an A Grader? Think prob not yet but would go in all guns blazing if he said he wanted to come to Saints even though a quick midfielder is a priority rather than key defender.
What about McGovern the younger? Not A Grader but geez would love him at Saints. What's he worth?
Dylan Shiel, exactly what we want but is he an A Grader?
Ideally keep 7 and pick up a gun with 8.
Is pick 8 going to get us an A Grader?
Would it get us a Lever or Shiel? I'd be happy with either even though not A Graders (yet).
Food for thought.

I just think about what we need.....run and delivery
Use either or both picks to get run and elite kicking
If the campaigner can't kick you ain't coming, we'll build the tank and show u how to tackle
Just run and deliver

However we get that I don't care
Just get it done
We've been trying to fill this void since the Lovett debarcle, we had Gram but it was 50/50 whether his boots had butter on em or not, too inaccurate

If we can trade one in and take the next best mid avl at the draft then that'd be nice

If we agreed to pay Rockliff enough for band 1 compensation would Brisbane give us pick 1 and 13 with a future second thrown in for them?

Brisbane receive: pick 2, 7, 8, 2019 saints second

Saints receive: pick 1, 13, Rockliff

13 is substitutable for 19, as is 1 and 2 but I'd much rather 13 for obrien who suits are needs the most in this draft class.

Edit: with 19 substituted it looks reasonably fair on paper.

Posted this on the d&t board, thoughts?

Most rankings you will read from draft experts.

I don't think I've seen him in the top 8 of any yet.

I would think that guys like Stephenson and Coffield would suit our needs a lot more also.
I'm not surprised he hasn't. They're heavily slanted towards the talent they're exposed to.

It's the same reason logue wasn't in top 10 mock drafts for most of the year last year and why I was told by a number of them Powell pepper definitely wouldn't go in the first round and was looking more likely to go late in the 2nd round

It happens every year

I just think about what we need.....run and delivery
Use either or both picks to get run and elite kicking
If the campaigner can't kick you ain't coming, we'll build the tank and show u how to tackle
Just run and deliver

However we get that I don't care
Just get it done
We've been trying to fill this void since the Lovett debarcle, we had Gram but it was 50/50 whether his boots had butter on em or not, too inaccurate

If we can trade one in and take the next best mid avl at the draft then that'd be nice

The whole run and carry thing.
I'm not sure if its still as vital a part of the game.
No-one can just grab the ball and boot it from the backline now. The forward press is making it harder.
A player rebounding the ball needs to be able to break tackles and deliver with pinpoint accuracy.
The player receiving needs to be able to take contested marks and/or win the ball. He won't have a lot of space.
( This is why Roo out on the wing was a good thing ).
So the skinny guy who can run like the wind but can't win it himself or break a tackle is not so useful.

Guys like Daniel Wells, fast but also able to win the ball are just incredibly rare. Which is why Kelly is so talked about.

When i see the Stats for Sinclair this year, i don't see that he needs to improve a great deal to be a better player than Gaff. He already gets more contested ball and
Gaff would be an upgrade on Newnes , but is it enough better to make a massive difference to the team. ( Newnes didn't have a great year this year ).

Possessions: Newnes: 23, Sinclair: 21, Gaff: 30
Contested Possessions : Newnes: 6 , Sinclair: 8, Gaff 7
Tackles : Newnes: 3, Sinclair: 3, Gaff: 2
Clearances: Newnes 1.5 , Sinclair :2, Gaff: 2

I'm not surprised he hasn't. They're heavily slanted towards the talent they're exposed to.

It's the same reason logue wasn't in top 10 mock drafts for most of the year last year and why I was told by a number of them Powell pepper definitely wouldn't go in the first round and was looking more likely to go late in the 2nd round

It happens every year
Even if that what you believe surely you can see that outside mids are our number one priority at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. What to do with picks 7 & 8

Back