What's going on with Carlton's list

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carlton can beat any team in the competition! what they need to work on is consistency. when they have consistency then they will push the premiership race.

No doubt your season was decimated by injuries to ruckmen and KPP. Kind of irrelevant when the contention is that those blokes can't cut it anyway.

Well then, back your contention up. In 2011 prior to injury, there was a consensus that Jamison was in All Australian form at FB. This year prior to injury, there was consensus that Henderson was in All Australian form at CHB. On p/game averages, Waite and Casboult were top 5 in contested marks, with Waite kicking more goals than Cloke. As for the ruckmen, anyone who knows their footy can see Warnock, Hampson and Krezuer can certainly cut-it in the ruck. Your contention doesn't really make a lot of sense, so don't expect me to swallow your tripe like its the truth.

As I stated above, IMO Carlton peaked in 2011 and there was no significant room for improvement.

So justify yourself! What's your reasoning? How can there be no room for improvement in the following young players - Yarran, Garlett, Gibbs, Krezuer, Henderson, Casboult, Mitchell, Watson, Laidler, Touhy, Bootsma, Hampson, McInnes, Robinson and even Waite coming back from injury. I could make the same sweeping statement for Essendon's list, but just saying shit won't make me right.

Well, I disagree. I don't see a lot of talent in your existing list, you do. That's fine, but we have no more to discuss, then, as you won't make me change my mind on most of the players you listed as I deem them to have reached potential already. Henderson and Gibbs won't be getting any better, nor Garlett or Hampson or Robinson. Casboult, maybe. Don't know Mitchell or McInnes. Can't be bothered trying assess the others.

Perhaps Mick can find a strategy to maximise what you have, who knows. All I reckon is you'd want to have a proper tilt in the next two years, 'cause you will not be challenging after that. I hope you're right, so we can knock you off in a final. We owe you some.

Potentially they have, under certain conditions that aren't guaranteed. Carlton's structural weaknesses can also be remedied under certain conditions that aren't guaranteed. Like I said, its far more dynamic a situation than you make it out to be.

Carlton hasn't addressed its obvious weakness; those clubs have at least tried.

Still time left in the trade period of course.

Carlton hasn't addressed its obvious weakness; those clubs have at least tried.

The problem being that you're automatically extrapolating this over to results. We could trade for someone like Gumby with no actual onfield return and say "well, at least we tried", but what's the point of that? Particularly when the fact of the matter remains these same weaknesses could be addressed by getting our list fit and injury free.

So justify yourself! What's your reasoning? How can there be no room for improvement in the following young players - Yarran, Garlett, Gibbs, Krezuer, Henderson, Casboult, Mitchell, Watson, Laidler, Touhy, Bootsma, Hampson, McInnes, Robinson and even Waite coming back from injury. I could make the same sweeping statement for Essendon's list, but just saying shit won't make me right.

Yarren - Disappointing season but probably will improve

Garlett - Needs good marking forwards to be effective. Won't improve unless he leaves Carlton or they recruit someone who can compete in the air

Gibbs - Best tagger in the AFL doesn't need to improve o_O

Krezuer - Doubt he is getting much better tbh. Will never be in the top 6 in the comp ruckman, debatable if he is even Carlton's number 1 ruch next season.

Henderson - Soft - Will never be good enough to be the true center half forward that Carlton will need. Will be an ok 3rd tall forward if they can find two targets who are better than him.

Casboult - Crude and agricultural. Poor mans Chris Dawes.

Watson - Mucker, moves like a glacier

Laidler - Was decent since coming from Adelaide but will never be better than an average player

Touhy - Promising career ahead of him

Bootsma - lol

Hampson - Could improve a lot, also could be awful again. I wouldn't tip against the latter

McInnes - no

Mitchell - no

Robinson - Cave man who makes crucial mistakes.Has turned into a decent player but is not getting any better. Is so overrated by Carlton supports that it is no longer funny.

Waite - The blokes nearing 30 and we're still hearing about his potential - lol. List clogger imo.

Even if this list of player improves 200% Carlton will still not finish in the 4 let alone win the flag. They're so far off Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood, WC and Adelaide, and not looking like catching up at all.

Laidler - Was decent since coming from Adelaide but will never be better than an average player

He came from Geelong, looks like you did your homework here champ. Keep up your expert list analysis' and you're bound to land a job in the industry somewhere.

Clearly nothing but an intentional troll thread. Move on.

Yarren - injured for the majority of year with turf toe sustained in rd 4.

Garlett - Has averaged 40 goals a season for the last 3 years, would be Collingwood 2nd leading goalscorer if he played there.

Krezuer - Watch what he did to Jolly in rd 3 and you may change your tune

Henderson - Plays CHB if you didn't realise and has taken some big scalps.

Yarren - Disappointing season but probably will improve. Yeah. You'd think after what he did as a 21yo he's got some improvement in him.

Garlett - Needs good marking forwards to be effective. Won't improve unless he leaves Carlton or they recruit someone who can compete in the air. Eh? Without much in the way of key forwards the guy kicked 39 goals the other year as a skinny young kid. WRONG.

Gibbs - Best tagger in the AFL doesn't need to improve. Err ... o_O

Krezuer - Doubt he is getting much better tbh. Guy was ****ing amazing for his age before doing his knee. Had massive issues with it this season. Got nothing but improvement in him. WRONG.

Henderson - Soft - Will never be good enough to be the true center half forward that Carlton will need. Will be an ok 3rd tall forward if they can find two targets who are better than him. Need to watch more footy here mate. Hendo was great this year, and in the short stint he had up forward took some really strong marks.

Casboult - Crude and agricultural. Poor mans Chris Dawes. Woah! This kid can seriously mark the football and you compare to concrete hands. Shows what a poor judge you are. Not sold he'll make it, but if can improve his kicking ... look out.

Watson - Mucker, moves like a glacier. Crap! No slower than Hurley. One of the best kicks in the team.

Laidler - Was decent since coming from Adelaide but will never be better than an average player. Pfft! This one is funny. Laidler came from Geelong and has been nothing short of exceptional. Skies the limit on this guy.

Touhy - Promising career ahead of him. I'm not sure about Touhy myself. Should be played on a HFF IMO, but even then, not sure he'll improve at the rate required.

Bootsma - lol Wow! Insightful comment. Sums up your general assessment more than Bootsma.

Hampson - Could improve a lot, also could be awful again. I wouldn't tip against the latter. Yep! I kinda agree with you here. He's a really good ruckman and that's about it. Not going to be the forward the club wants him to be. Improvement is definitely possible though.

McInnes - no Why?

Mitchell - no Why?

Robinson - Cave man who makes crucial mistakes.Has turned into a decent player but is not getting any better. Is so overrated by Carlton supports that it is no longer funny. It's not just Carlton supporters who rate this guy. It's "experts" and nuetrals as well. Definitely scope for improvement in this kid.

Waite - The blokes nearing 30 and we're still hearing about his potential - lol. List clogger imo. Probably still hearing about it because opposition posters keep banging on about it. Guy showed when he plays he's right up there with the best forwards. Improvement for him comes from getting on the park.

Even if this list of player improves 200% Carlton will still not finish in the 4 let alone win the flag. They're so far off Sydney, Hawthorn, Collingwood, WC and Adelaide, and not looking like catching up at all.

Yeah. 200%. So far off. Dude! All I can do is laugh at you, mostly because you probably think you make a lot of sense. Can't wait for our team to spank you again next season. Not that it will wake from your dreams.

Other replies in bold.

So you'll instead play a battler in Casboult instead, and hope that works out.

Why is Casboult a battler might I ask? And why would Dawes, Gumbles or Hansen for example be any better? Aside from Levi's kicking, he's shown a lot of potential at AFL level. When he came into the side, averaged more contested marks than all but 3 other forwards in the league and had some super plays. Needs more explanation from you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Results from Carlton's b&f:

1. Heath Scotland - 32
2. Eddie Betts - 25
3. Chris Judd -29
4. Brock Maclean - 26
5. Marc Murphy 25
6. Andrew Carazzo - 28
7. Kade Simpson - 28

The fact that there is not one player under the age of 25 in the top 7 of their b&f count has to be a huge concern. This is a club who in recent years has spent more time on the bottom of the ladder and had greater access to high draft picks than any other. Where are they? Why haven't any of them developed into the players that many thought they would come. Whose fault is it? The recruiters? The development staff? We should be seeing a side ready to peak and have a genuine tilt at the flag, yet instead all that exists is a veteran list on the cusp of collapse. Is this failure to develop youth now a crisis, and if so, how can Carlton go about changing what seems to be an entrenched culture of mediocrity?

Discuss.
Really with the exception of Scotland they all have three to five years of footy

Yeah. 200%. So far off. Dude! All I can do is laugh at you, mostly because you probably think you make a lot of sense. Can't wait for our team to spank you again next season. Not that it will wake from your dreams.

Other replies in bold.

Calm down plz. So much anger itt. I created this thread wanting objectivity, not Carlton supporters clouding it with their anger.

If you don't like the direction it's taking then a suggest you go back to the Carlton board :(

Calm down plz. So much anger itt. I created this thread wanting objectivity, not Carlton supporters clouding it with their anger.

If you don't like the direction it's taking then a suggest you go back to the Carlton board :(

LOL. Anger? Seems whenever you're required to put up anything of substance or justify your assessments, you either run for the hills or come out with these very lame replies. If you didn't want Carlton supporters taking you to task on your ignorance of their list, you should have started your thread on the Collingwood board o_O

Why is Casboult a battler might I ask? And why would Dawes, Gumbles or Hansen for example be any better? Aside from Levi's kicking, he's shown a lot of potential at AFL level. When he came into the side, averaged more contested marks than all but 3 other forwards in the league and had some super plays. Needs more explanation from you.

He's 22, yet only just broke into the team this year. He's horribly inaccurate (7.12), kicking just over a goal a game.

Gumby meanwhile averaged almost double the amount of goals - despite playing in a team that by stage of the year was getting smashed - while Hansen averaged only slightly less than Gumbleton. Dawes had a terrible year, but is a big body and would generate lots of crumbs for your smalls.

He's 22, yet only just broke into the team this year. He's horribly inaccurate (7.12), kicking just over a goal a game.

Gumby meanwhile averaged almost double the amount of goals - despite playing in a team that by stage of the year was getting smashed - while Hansen averaged only slightly less than Gumbleton. Dawes had a terrible year, but is a big body and would generate lots of crumbs for your smalls.

Casboult isn't a big body?
o_O

Because we also have the ability to detect our deficiencies and address them. That is how you make the top 4 five times over six years in the modern era.
+ 1.

Going on the their youth development issues the past few seasons, and their poor trade week to date. It appears that Carlton can neither develop their youth nor detect deficiencies and adequately address them by bringing in mature aged recruits. Seems like a pretty potent formula for failure imo.

Instead of clinging to the injuries excuse, perhaps they should consider why WC and Collingwood were able to finish 4th and 5th whilst having the same if not a worse run with injuries throughout the season. Imo it primarily comes down to how the clubs are run. Carlton are right at the bottom of the pile as it stands.

They do well out lower and rookie picks, but they've picked poorly with their high picks. Not addressing their deficiencies is bizarre, as every recent premier has filled holes at the trade table.

"Us" being Collingwood or GC? You're old threads and ridiculous posts have made sure you have no credit around here whatsoever. Go make a new account.

Care factor about my 'credibility' on a internet forum?

Zero.

As for the topic,

I can't see Carlton being a better team than Collingwood in the foreseeable future, but if I were a Carlton supporter, I would feel very confident about beating Collingwood again next season.

Think about it, Malthouse knows the whole Collingwood list, right down to the reserves players.

Mick takes his vast bank of knowledge to Carlton, and then gains new knowledge about Carlton's players, which he can then use to make the moves to shut down Collingwood's players.

Prior to Nathan Buckley taking over the reigns in 2012, nearly every player on Collingwood's list had played under Malthouse over their entire careers.

When you think about it, there is the high possibility that Carlton may have the wood on Collingwood for some time.

Not because they're a better team, but it will be a blend of gameplans/matchups to begin with, then the psychological factor will kick in later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back