What's going on with Carlton's list

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

We recruited a mature age key forward last year who unfortunately was diagnosed with cancer during the year. The year before we recruited Nick Duigan, you may remember him, he tore your captain a new one in rd 15.

I am more concerned how Nick Maxwell finished 5th in your best and fairest when most people think he is lucky to even get a game.
Amongst the highlights of Nick Maxwell's Curriculum Vitae:
- Has captained Collingwood for four years, each of those years his team has finished in the Top 4;
- All-Australian;
- Best Finals Player in Collingwood's Premiership year;
- Premiership Captain.

Apart from Judd, I'm not sure I can think of a more credentialled player at Carlton.

Not bad for a bloke who is lucky to get a game. If you honestly believe this, I suggest you go back and watch the last quarter of the 2010 drawn Grand Final. You probably missed that as you may not be aware that the football season continues beyond the first week of September.

You can't play a forward with that kind of inaccuracy, unless they're taking as much shots as Buddy. Where is this fused back rubbish coming from?

LOL. I note the way ignore all the counterpoints and instead just fixate on one little thing that has already been well and truly conceded. But I'm not being like you and and FF and arguing for the sake of it here. I'm happy to genuinely assess the Carlton list.

Casboult is a terrific young prospect who has kicking issues; but that doesn't make him a battler. I don't necessarily disagree with what you've said here, but that doesn't mean you shelve him and recruit someone inferior in all other aspects of the game to take his place. What you do is get him to work with someone like Ben Perkins who's had terrific results remedying players kicking action. It's a much smarter way to address the needs of the Carlton team than clogging up your list by reaching for some player you don't really think is up to scratch, just for the sake of it.

As for Gumby, rumours are he failed his medical at Carlton, while passing his medical with Freo. I was under the impression he's had two discs fused in his spine. Unlike you blokes though, I'm more than happy to admit I could be wrong on that.

finally you rubbish the recruitment of Morton, yet he kicked two goals that proved matchwinning in a GF and addressed a need.

I didn't rubbish the recruiting of Morton. What a very strange thing to retort. And a couple of sausage rolls in the GF doesn't change the fact his recruitment did not address any particular hole in Sydney's list and nor did he have very much to do with Sydney's great season either. If McGlynn was fit, there's a good chance Morton wouldn't have even been in the team; or been a sub at best.

Now the point you've avoided with this "you rubbished Morton" crap, is that Sydney are a prime example that you can improve from 7th to premiers without addressing weaknesses and instead finding improvement from within your list, particularly with injury not affecting team continuity. If you can't concede the truth of this and instead want to bicker about Morton, you pretty much concede you're not being genuine about this at all and are just here for a wind up.

MonkeyKing - Not sure why I'm bothering:

- Casboult is 22 and is still a terrible kick. Considering he only just started playing senior football, how long will it take him to improve? Buddy and Cloke have never improved their kicking substantially, but more than make up for it. Unless you think he can be that good?

-You incorrectly labelled Gumby a battler, citing his 28 games in 6 years - knowing full well this is due to injury. With no pre-season he still averaged twice as many goals as the great Levi. Unless you find some evidence for his fused back, it's best to drop it.

-You said "Who did Sydney recruit last year to take them from behind Carlton to pass six other teams and become premiers? Mitch Morton? LOL." - Considering you laughed at his recruitment, I'll take it you're ridiculing him. Longmire said he was recruited to kick goals in an attack that previously struggled, and he delivered in spades.

bombermick

Casboult was drafted as a rookie straight out of the stingrays where he kicked 41 goals in 20 games.

He also spent most of the last two years battling injuries (acl, pcl, and soft tissue injuries) and weight issues.

Considering where his come from I'm pretty happy with his progress.

MonkeyKing - Not sure why I'm bothering:

- Casboult is 22 and is still a terrible kick. Considering he only just started playing senior football, how long will it take him to improve? Buddy and Cloke have never improved their kicking substantially, but more than make up for it. Unless you think he can be that good?

Yes, he's just started playing senior football and at 22yo it's a perfect time for him to continue his development at senior level. And boy, he put in a couple of really good performances as a forward/ruck. How long will it take him to improve? Well a hellava lot longer if the club shelve him for the inclusion of an inferior player. In regards to kicking, I don't think Buddy has ever tried to remedy his action, whereas Cloke worked with Perkins and really did improve his accuracy in 2011-12. You have no basis for saying Cloke has not improved and if you do now is the time to back your claim up. At this point I should also note that Levi was recruited having kicked 41 goals 11 points in the TAC, so improvement is not as beyond his scope as you are deluding yourself to believe.

-You incorrectly labelled Gumby a battler, citing his 28 games in 6 years - knowing full well this is due to injury. With no pre-season he still averaged twice as many goals as the great Levi.

But this is just not true. Gumby did not average twice as many goals. You are outright making this up. He averaged 1.8 than Levi who averaged 1.2 ... do the math! Furthermore, I'm not sure why you refuse to acknowledge this drops even more when only counting games Levi played forward :rolleyes: and that even in those games Levi was actually a ruck/forward. And you act as though his superior shots on goal and contested marking power mean nothing. Geez, when you count the games Levi played forward and include his goal assists, he sits just 0.1 goals contributed behind Gumby despite playing second ruck. Claiming one is a battler and the other a prime candidate for recruitment is nothing more than utter nonsense.

Lastly, why note Gumbles lack of preseason and not account for the fact Levi was just one and a half games back from a knee injury when elevated to the senior side. Your arguments are all slanted and duplicitous, whether by design or ignorance I am unsure.

-You said "Who did Sydney recruit last year to take them from behind Carlton to pass six other teams and become premiers? Mitch Morton? LOL." - Considering you laughed at his recruitment, I'll take it you're ridiculing him. Longmire said he was recruited to kick goals in an attack that previously struggled, and he delivered in spades.

Morton did not deliver in spades. He played a small amount of games at the end of the year and was on the fringe of the senior list. I didn't laugh at him or his recruitment; I laughed at you and your failed concept that not trading for players to address needs was an automatic disclusion for being able to overtake these other sides who may or may not have strengthened their lists. Sydney are complete proof this is rubbish. But again, keep ignoring the facts; it doesn't make your argument stronger.

If you managed to look at the 8th, 9th and 10th you would see that they were all 24 or under.

It's an indictment on the development and recruiting staff at your football club that this is the case!

Carlton didn't lose to Gold Coast because of bad injuries. They lost because they were severely let down by the younger players who lacked the ability and desire to play football at the elite level.

The sooner the Blues stop clinging to such excuses the sooner they will move forward from being a mid tier football club.A bit of honesty is really needed down there before they become an anachronism of the modern game.

carlton will be fine for the next 2-3 years i dont see what all the fuss is about

Carlton didn't lose to Gold Coast because of bad injuries. They lost because they were severely let down by the younger players who lacked the ability and desire to play football at the elite level.

The sooner the Blues stop clinging to such excuses the sooner they will move forward from being a mid tier football club.A bit of honesty is really needed down there before they become an anachronism of the modern game.

Oh please, stop making it sound so terminal. Most of our season was derailed by injury. Some games we were just plain inconsistent and that is what cost Ratten his job. In the Gold Coast game especially, we just had a Barry Crocker. We had far more of the ball, far more inside 50s, we just butchered it and fumbled over and over and over. Let's not let one game determine whether someone has the ability and desire to play football at the elite level.

On the night, our desire and execution may have been lacking. During the year, it ebbed and flowed.

See this is where there is a difference of opinion. Carlton supporters think they are still at the early-middle stage of their cycle. Most reasonable impartial supporters believe this Carlton side don't have much more to offer in terms of improvement. My op sought to address this using the best and fairest results as an example. Something is missing down at the Blues. Whether it be recruiting or development, your high draft picks just haven't made it. Guys like Gibbs, Kreuzer and Walker have been around long enough to be classified as failures imo. The reason you had such a poor year isn't on the back of those senior players I mentioned in the OP. It's on the failure of the younger high draft picks to have any impact when the club needed them the most. Something down at Carlton is rotten and until it's found I can't see any see them having any kind of success.

Our main draft picks over the last few years have been majority tall, now we all know they take longer than mids so nothing to get worried about regarding progress; couple this with we are something like the 4th - 5th youngest team in the comp and I think it's safe to say we are tracking better than you make out.

Now if getting a raise out of some of the Carlton people is your aim than continue, but we are hardly in a crisis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh please, stop making it sound so terminal. Most of our season was derailed by injury. Some games we were just plain inconsistent and that is what cost Ratten his job. In the Gold Coast game especially, we just had a Barry Crocker. We had far more of the ball, far more inside 50s, we just butchered it and fumbled over and over and over. Let's not let one game determine whether someone has the ability and desire to play football at the elite level.

On the night, our desire and execution may have been lacking. During the year, it ebbed and flowed.

Pretty sure any side in the 8 who has a barry crocker against the Gold Coast still wins by 50 points. That performance was just embarrassing and showed a lack of character. Something that is definitely related to their modest performance in finals in recent years.

Pretty sure any side in the 8 who has a barry crocker against the Gold Coast still wins by 50 points. That performance was just embarrassing and showed a lack of character. Something that is definitely related to their modest performance in finals in recent years.
It is still one game and you are still equating it to something bigger. Carlton got flogged by Sydney and St Kilda in 1995 and they were the only games we lost all year. A crap game, embarassing or otherwise, does not have to equate to more than it is.

Our finals performances given where we entered the finals have been decent. Losses by a goal or less to the Lions and Swans away, a big win against the Bombers and a loss by less than a goal to the Eagles away.

Stop having a dig for the sake of it.

What is your fascination are you a little concerned, i repeat this team you are obsessed with smashed your side twice last year.At the very least younger players got game time last year a major plus, i see more upside than your mob but again thanks for your concern.

Well then, given those comments, how majorly embarrassing for you that the Pies got flogged to the tune of 100 points over 2 games by a team of so little character. :rolleyes:

Still no action from the Blues this trade period. Can't see them cooking up anything decent next year with all their competitors improving.

Still no action from the Blues this trade period. Can't see them cooking up anything decent next year with all their competitors improving.
I do not post on the main board too often, but Forward Flanker you have forced my hand so well done on your trolling which I thought was for the bay!
Many posters have given valid points of view regarding Carlton's list which you either choose to ignore or do not reply to,probably because it would take away from your trolling effort.
If you are so concerned with Carlton's list and development I THANK YOU because I am not in the least worried.Good bye nuffie.

At their peak, they are a 5th to 8th side.

WCE / Wellingham (LeCras), Essendon / Goddard, Geelong / McIntosh, Caddy and Rivers, Fremantle / Pearce and co would be in this group going into the year. Carlton have fallen behind all 4 in this trade period.

+1, also I'd expect Richmond to improve to be ahead of them next year as well. Really cannot see them finishing in the 8 now. Carlton really can't do anything right. they messed up their blue chipp draft picks and now they're in the process of messing up their opportunity at free agency.

They won't get anywhere as a club until they start fixing the way they operate off the park which is well and truly below the standard required to be a top club.

bombermick

Casboult was drafted as a rookie straight out of the stingrays where he kicked 41 goals in 20 games.

He also spent most of the last two years battling injuries (acl, pcl, and soft tissue injuries) and weight issues.

Considering where his come from I'm pretty happy with his progress.

His progress last year was good, but I wouldn't like to rely on him week-in, week-out. I'm a huge fan of Waite, but I can't see Levi carrying an attack if he's injured.

Amongst the highlights of Nick Maxwell's Curriculum Vitae:
- Has captained Collingwood for four years, each of those years his team has finished in the Top 4;
- All-Australian;
- Best Finals Player in Collingwood's Premiership year;
- Premiership Captain.

Apart from Judd, I'm not sure I can think of a more credentialled player at Carlton.

Not bad for a bloke who is lucky to get a game. If you honestly believe this, I suggest you go back and watch the last quarter of the 2010 drawn Grand Final. You probably missed that as you may not be aware that the football season continues beyond the first week of September.

I certainly can, his name is Marc Murphy
-No. 1 Draft Pick
-All Australian
-Club Best & Fairest
-AFL Coaches Association Player of the Year
-Australian International Rules Representative
-Rising Star Nominee

I certainly can, his name is Marc Murphy
-No. 1 Draft Pick
-All Australian
-Club Best & Fairest
-AFL Coaches Association Player of the Year
-Australian International Rules Representative
-Rising Star Nominee

Australian International Rules Rep? No. 1 Draft Pick? They certainly are not credentials.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back