What's going on with Carlton's list

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Losing Carazzo was the biggest injury hit, then Murphy, but beyond those two injuries can't be used as an excuse to explain why the team capitulated after their loss to Essendon.

If what you say is true, makes your loss to our Round 18 team even more humiliating.
No Henderson, Waite, Judd, Simpson, Walker or Laidler (all best 22) + 3 2nd gamers + a number of now de-listed players = makes for a pretty inexperienced and low-quality team. Yet, Richmond still couldn't win.

See you Round 1 for the traditional reality check.

Richmond - November Premiers.

If what you say is true, makes your loss to our Round 18 team even more humiliating.
No Henderson, Waite, Judd, Simpson, Walker or Laidler (all best 22) + 3 2nd gamers + a number of now de-listed players = makes for a pretty inexperienced and low-quality team. Yet, Richmond still couldn't win.

See you Round 1 for the traditional reality check.

Richmond - November Premiers.

As irrelevant as this is to the topic at hand, I'll bite. Richmond were missing just as many significant players, if not more, than Carlton were at that point, and fielded a less experienced lineup. And yes, we were in a down patch and threw the game away, but it's not like we had any significant personnel advantage over Carlton.

Our performances may have been poor, but at least we're building towards something, with a young list that is constantly being improved and has lots of room for improvement in players. Will we play in a premiership? Nobody knows, and like every club, the odds are against us, but we're at least giving ourselves a chance to do so in the future. Carlton, on the other hand, systematically cheated their way into the upper levels of the draft for years on end, and yet you guys are just as poor as we are, and your list can only go in one direction from here, due to the imminent loss of the senior players that are holding your team together.

I'll let you guess which direction that is, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Yeah gotta say the problems with Carlton's season went far beyond injuries I thought.

Injuries weren't the only reason but they were a big part.

With key players going down morale dropped away and for mine, mental softness became an issue that certainly contributed to inconsistent results. Depending on your point of view you could argue that Ratten might have been another reason.

However there is nothing wrong with the talent or the depth and with Mick coming on board we'll definitely see more of that depth with the likes of Bell and Casboult set to get more games.

Malthouse will come in and tweek the plan to his liking and will also take on the task of 'hardening up' the players.

If he succeeds and the club has a good run with injuries Carlton will be a very competitive unit.

A few ducks to line up for sure but it can be done.

Our performances may have been poor, but at least we're building towards something, with a young list that is constantly being improved and has lots of room for improvement in players.

Out of all the jokes in your post, I found this one most worthy of a comment.

Building a young list - your 'moneytigerball strategy' which is being hailed over on your board as glorious, contradicts your point. So might want to rectify that.
Wouldn't say Chaplin, Knights & Edwards, all of which are 26+ and the latter 2 couldn't get a game in their own teams, are exactly going to help you 'build towards something'.

I just thought Carlton's best 22 injury list wasn't any worse than Collingwood or WCE's, they had players ready to fill the gap. Carltons next line of players were injured also.

But there is no excuse for those insipid performances against Port, GC, even the 10 goal (should've been 20 goal) loss against Hawthorn, 10 goal loss against the Roos. I'll grant Adelaide/Essendon games were horrid with the players that went down.

But yeah, some players really need a kick up the arse. I saw Juddy won the time trial. Would've been nice if Gibbs put it on himself to have a crack and become the best over the off-season. Ah well.

So you want a guy who is not fast to win that is a little odd and takes away from your good points. Gibbs winning a time trial means nothing at all and it shows that with a bit of luck Judd won't be playing the year injured like he did last year.

Building a young list - your 'moneytigerball strategy' which is being hailed over on your board as glorious, contradicts your point. So might want to rectify that.
Wouldn't say Chaplin, Knights & Edwards, all of which are 26+ and the latter 2 couldn't get a game in their own teams, are exactly going to help you 'build towards something'.

They cost nothing and provide valuable depth. It's not like we gave away valuable picks for them. Besides, apparently Grigg couldn't get a game for his old team (or so I've been told), and he picked up 11 brownlow votes this year.

Not according to their supporters. FFS have you not been reading this thread?
Yeah I know, there are some shockers/

So you want a guy who is not fast to win that is a little odd and takes away from your good points. Gibbs winning a time trial means nothing at all and it shows that with a bit of luck Judd won't be playing the year injured like he did last year.

2k time trial doesn't really depend on speed that much, just fitness. Gibbs has stated a number of times he wants to be in the midfield, I would expect him to be pumped in the off-season with a new coach coming in and planning to play him in the mid, and get fitter than everyone else. But he didn't even partake so that was completely my mistake.

Maybe I'm just hard on him because he does my head in.

2013 will provide the answers to "what is wrong with Carlton's list" - much more than 2012 did. Carlton supporters are justified in talking about the injury toll of 2012. However the fact of the loss and the manner of the loss against Port Adelaide AND the loss against GC points to something more than 'just injuries' as a factor in 2012. I suspect that is why a new Coach is now coaching.

So 2013 will provide answers to a some questions a lot of non apologist Carlton supporters are waiting for.

You talking about the Jacobs that we wanted to keep, but wanted to go home?
Nah the Jacobs who you guys thought was worse than Kreuzer, Warnock and Hampson. Honestly how does a club let go of one of the three best rucks in the AFL, they don't grow on trees you know.

There's beginning to be a disturbing trend of Carlton players being traded away who end up becoming quality AFL players. When you see guys like Kennedy, Jacobs and Grigg all leaving and turning into quality AFL players questions have to be asked of the football department. Carlton have the worst recruiting and development staff in the AFL imo - even worse than Melbourne!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah the Jacobs who you guys thought was worse than Kreuzer, Warnock and Hampson. Honestly how does a club let go of one of the three best rucks in the AFL, they don't grow on trees you know.

There's beginning to be a disturbing trend of Carlton players being traded away who end up becoming quality AFL players. When you see guys like Kennedy, Jacobs and Grigg all leaving and turning into quality AFL players questions have to be asked of the football department. Carlton have the worst recruiting and development staff in the AFL imo - even worse than Melbourne!

Whilst it is clear you have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, I'll still give you a response.

You clearly don't know much about the Jacobs you are talking about, but I believe we are talking about the same player. Jacobs told the club he wanted to return to his home state, South Australia, we didn't want to get rid of him. He also wasn't one of the best ruckmen in the league when he did depart, in fact he was nowhere near it. Here's a fun fact for you - in his final year at Carlton, Sam Jacobs played more senior games than both Warnock and Hampson, and the same amount as Kreuzer. Quite simply, you are trolling if you believe that indicates that we didn't rate him, or that we didn't want to keep him.

If that wasn't enough to convince me that you are trolling, you then go on to question the trade for Chris Judd. A topic which has been done to death. It doesn't matter how many times it is re-visited, if you think Carlton regrets that trade you simply don't understand Chris Judd, or the impact he's had on the club.

Grigg wasn't prepared to put in the hard yards to cement a senior spot, so he took the easy way out and went to Richmond. Believe me, there are very few Carlton supporters losing any sleep over his departure.

Now, no doubt you'll either completely ignore this post, or try to twist it in a way which somehow supports your 'argument' (read: troll) - there's nothing surer. May I suggest you venture to Bay 13 where you may be a little less out of your depth?

Sounds a bit like Dawes, Wood and Wellingham. The start of a very disturbing trend for the Pies? Quite possibly.

Maybe you should actually go into that thread. It's not about recruiting at all.

Out of curiosity what would Carlton fans say their best 22 is? I'll have a crack but this is probably a fair way off:

B: Laidler Jamison Tuohy
HB: Scotland Henderson Yarran
C: Carrazzo Gibbs Simpson
HF: Murphy Waite Walker
F: Betts Casboult Garlett
Foll: Kreuzer Judd McLean
Int: Hampson Armfield Robinson
Sub: Lucas

No need.. we're going all guns blazing at the big Q. I hope we don't get beaten to the punch though, he is clearly the answer to our KPF needs.
No need when you've got Levi Casboult (who averages 5.5 contested marks a game) and big Squidda Mitchell. You guys landed your big fish in the coaching department, Brad Green. Beat every other club for his services. Too bad he was fourth choice (if a choice at all). Obviously not too many keen to work with Mick. Missed out on Ling, McLeod and even Cheesy O'Bree. Enjoy the Green Vest.

Richmond were missing just as many significant players, if not more, than Carlton were at that point, and fielded a less experienced lineup. And yes, we were in a down patch and threw the game away, but it's not like we had any significant personnel advantage over Carlton.

Can you name the significant players that Richmond had out in rd 18 last year.
The top 10 in your best and fairest all played, the only decent player I can think of is Foley.

Can you name the significant players that Richmond had out in rd 18 last year.
The top 10 in your best and fairest all played, the only decent player I can think of is Foley.

They didn't finish top 10 because they were injured:oops:

Anyway Foley was missing, as was Grimes (4th in B&F before injury) and Vickery (5th in B&F in 2011 injured in 2012). Griffiths also missed but he's not such a big loss (even if it means Moore/Post takes his place). So four compared to Carlton's ~7.

No need when you've got Levi Casboult (who averages 5.5 contested marks a game) and big Squidda Mitchell. You guys landed your big fish in the coaching department, Brad Green. Beat every other club for his services. Too bad he was fourth choice (if a choice at all). Obviously not too many keen to work with Mick. Missed out on Ling, McLeod and even Cheesy O'Bree. Enjoy the Green Vest.

ouch. delays in appointing an assistant midfield coach. Would Ling, Mcleod or Cheesy be better coaches than Brad Green? Who knows? A quick glance at current league coaches would perhaps show a high number who started as 'low profile' assistants.

Hey Wayne - do you think Collingwood are a red hot chance of actually beating Carlton this year? I reckon youz are red hot specials mate - red hot. Figjam is the man mate - Figjam and Fat Eddie what a team mate - what a team!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back