Which club is Carlton's biggest rival?

Carlton's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Collingwood. I ****ing hate Essendon, indeed I despise everything about them from top to bottom. However, that doesn't go close to describing the intense hatred I hold for the Magpies.

It was once close between the two. That was until a Collingwood supporting scumbag decided it would be appropriate to spit in my face a couple of years back after a Carlton victory.

I don't hate Richmond. No, hate isn't the right word. 'Pity' would be a lot closer to the mark.

I voted Collingwood. Although I hate Collingwood at least they have some respect. I feel as though our rivalry with them is at a healthy level. I actually enjoy our rivalry.

Essendon I have no respect for whatsoever. I can't stand that club. Disgusting club. It was Bombers supporters that took the most glee from our salary cap breaches. They were dancing and celebrating in the streets. I refuse to watch any game with them involved unless it is against us but I don't enjoy the week leading up to us playing them. I hate the fact that for two rounds a year, I actually want to see a W next to Collingwood's name (when they play Essendon).

So Collingwood I hate but I respect them and enjoy our rivalry. Essendon I have no respect for whatsoever. Richmond ... Meh ... Who

COLLINGWOOD....:cool:

For the last 20 years though we've built up a real hate with Essendon.....and its growing fast.

For a tiny little moment a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away..... Richmond, but its irrelevant & dead now (apart from the KB's etc trying & failing to revive it)

A lot of posters apparently equate rivalry with hatred, which is a pity as they are not really the same thing.
Essendon are my most despised team but it's with Collingwood that we have the greatest rivalry due to the long history (over 100 years) and the many chapters and episodes which have played out over that time and become legend.

Time for me to share my least favorite Essendon* memory (again).

Remember when Diesel got in trouble for racially vilifying Chris Lewis of the Eagles?

Well, it didn't stop this absolutely out of control bogan family from calling Diesel a coconut every time he got near the ball (the very next week). Not only that but the amount of abuse that they hurled towards anything Carlton (and the few Essendon* fans that screamed at them to shut up) was crazy including spitting, threats of violence, etc. Thankfully security had had enough of them having come down four times within the first quarter and a half and ejected them all at half time.

The single worst people I've sat directly (next row) in front of ever.

A couple of you have actually nailed down what makes the rivalry with Collingwood so good... It's a healthy rivalry... we can have a good banter with each other before and after the match (unless it's a hiding and then the winning side supporters knows to give the losers some space) and especially during the match.

There is a level of hatred, but thats restricted to game days really.

And it's the history. Some Collingwood supporters hate the fact that they only exist as Collingwood Football Club because of the largess of Carlton. We rescheduled one of our fixtures so that we could play them to give them the required 18 games for the season. They also hate that, even though it was a Carlton home game, we gave them the gate takings to help their club get a good financial footing.

Over the years, we have had some cracking grand finals... we jointly hold 3 of the top 10 attendance records at the G (we also have the #11 spot as well).

The media would go in to meltdown if Carlton and Collingwood were playing in a grand final. The hype around Melbourne for a grand final between the two clubs would push the collected visits of the US president, the Queen and the pope to page 3 or 4...

We have a longer lasting rivalry than some of the English football association clubs rivalries. It's right up there with the Milan derby, the old firm derby and Boca vs River and Barca vs Real... it is right up there with the best of them.

Carlton v both WA teams tend to be rather heated games.

Sent from my GT-I9195T using Tapatalk

Blame Guns for firing up the natives.:thumbsu:

He would have been hard to shut up while Ellard was our leading goal kicker.:D

Blame Guns for firing up the natives.:thumbsu:

He would have been hard to shut up while Ellard was our leading goal kicker.:D
You should hear him offering encouragement to Ballentyne... damn and I thought I was bad for abusing people... Guns does me easily...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the games against the three teams mentioned. Rivals they are and I enjoy beating them but we've managed to have a few wins against them in recent years. The two teams that we need to rival and pass are Hawthorn and Geelong. I'm sick and tired of losing to these teams so I'm prepared to elevate both to our greatest rivals until we start to beat these teams regularly. Hopefully this year!

When it comes to hate? Nobody comes close to those mongrels from Arden Street.

Rivalries are ALL about finals. Nothing else. The three teams selected were perfect. Because they are by a big margin our three biggest finals opponents.

Against Essendon.

20 finals, won 10 lost 10.
Grand finals won 3 lost 3.
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Essendon+Finals+List

Against Collingwood.
22 finals. won 14 lost 8.
Grand finals won 5 lost 1.
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Collingwood+Finals+List

Against Richmond.
23 finals won 6, drew 1, lost 16.
Grand finals won 2, lost 4.
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Richmond+Finals+List

It is for you to decide. Even with Essendon, flogging Collingwood and getting our arse kicked by Richmond.

Do not forget Richmond did not join the league until 1908.

In terms of rivalries I would put them number one. A rivalry is something you want to overcome. The win in the final last year was super historic in terms of the rivalry between these teams. Richmond has always had the wood on us at the pointy end of the season. Maybe, just maybe last year means we are getting the balance back.

Collingwood is the obvious one but when you look at it objectively we have basically been spanking them for 100 years. Granted though a lot of our finals victories over them in the last 50 years we have won from the position of underdog.

Not sure if it requires it's own thread but ask yourself who you enjoy beating the most. Richmond no longer qualify as a genuine rival and atm, Collingwood games of note are fast receding into the mists of time. There can be only one and it's supporters waving wooden spoons at me last decade sealed the deal. Pretty sure...

During the 1970's the tigers were our main rivals when the pies went through a run of finals failures. Essendon was a distant 3rd as Carlton's rival. Balme, Hart, Stewart, Richardson, Bourke, Sheedy, Bartlett vs Jesaulenko, Walls, Jackson, Doull, Southby Waite, Nicholls. Carlton was the only team that could beat Richmond in grand finals in those days (1972 & 1982) and those defeats rankled officials at tigerland.

By the mid 1970's almost the whole football world hated Richmond. During the 1974 grand final when the tigers played the new glamour team North Melbourne Lou Richards said "the only people barracking for Richmond today are the players relatives."

The 1979 grand final re-established the blues-pies rivalry as no 1. The tigers one was still big but faded during the mid 1980's as the tigers began to self destruct.

Sheedy's arrival at Essendon in 1981 gradually built up the rivalry with the blues. It started with that frustrating 10 game winning streak they had against us when we had good sides, even premiership sides. The rivalry kept growing after the 1993 grand final and reached its peak after the classic 1999 prelim.

In recent years I enjoy watching the blues beat Essendon more than Collingwood. It is so frustrating losing to the bombers when they are not setting the world on fire and we are favourites to beat them, for example during the Matthew Knights years and the second time we played them last year.

Easily the asterisk. Can't stand the cheating scum.
Collingwood next.
If Richmond hadn't been a complete rabble for the last 30 years they may have be worthy but they're not.

I feel losses to the asterisk with more pain than for the others and that's always a pretty good guide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which club is Carlton's biggest rival?

Back