Which club is Carlton's biggest rival?

Carlton's biggest rival?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

For me it's Collingscum.

I do get a giggle when some Carlton fans take the moral high ground and hate Essendon because they are cheats. Pot, kettle.
I hate Essendon because their supporters are ****witts.

For me it's Collingscum.

I do get a giggle when some Carlton fans take the moral high ground and hate Essendon because they are cheats. Pot, kettle.
I hate Essendon because their supporters are ****witts.
The thing is that when we got pinged for our big cheat... we cleared house.

Essendon* got pinged again... and once again they did **** all...a few people quit because they wanted to get the **** out of dodge before the axe came down. They have done bugger all to clear house to show that they wont cheat again.

Rivalries are ALL about finals. Nothing else. The three teams selected were perfect. Because they are by a big margin our three biggest finals opponents.

Against Essendon.

20 finals, won 10 lost 10.
Grand finals won 3 lost 3.
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Essendon Finals List

Against Collingwood.
22 finals. won 14 lost 8.
Grand finals won 5 lost 1.
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Collingwood Finals List

Against Richmond.
23 finals won 6, drew 1, lost 16.
Grand finals won 2, lost 4.
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Richmond Finals List

It is for you to decide. Even with Essendon, flogging Collingwood and getting our arse kicked by Richmond.

Do not forget Richmond did not join the league until 1908.

In terms of rivalries I would put them number one. A rivalry is something you want to overcome. The win in the final last year was super historic in terms of the rivalry between these teams. Richmond has always had the wood on us at the pointy end of the season. Maybe, just maybe last year means we are getting the balance back.

Collingwood is the obvious one but when you look at it objectively we have basically been spanking them for 100 years. Granted though a lot of our finals victories over them in the last 50 years we have won from the position of underdog.

Very good argument Footy Geek.

The 1973 grand final has to be Carlton's worst loss of all-time on various grounds, so Richmond should be in Carlton's sights every time they play them.

Rivalries are ALL about finals. Nothing else. The three teams selected were perfect. Because they are by a big margin our three biggest finals opponents.

Against Essendon.

20 finals, won 10 lost 10.
Grand finals won 3 lost 3.
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Essendon Finals List

Against Collingwood.
22 finals. won 14 lost 8.
Grand finals won 5 lost 1.
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Collingwood Finals List

Against Richmond.
23 finals won 6, drew 1, lost 16.
Grand finals won 2, lost 4.
http://www.blueseum.org/tiki-index.php?page=Richmond Finals List

It is for you to decide. Even with Essendon, flogging Collingwood and getting our arse kicked by Richmond.

Do not forget Richmond did not join the league until 1908.

In terms of rivalries I would put them number one. A rivalry is something you want to overcome. The win in the final last year was super historic in terms of the rivalry between these teams. Richmond has always had the wood on us at the pointy end of the season. Maybe, just maybe last year means we are getting the balance back.

Collingwood is the obvious one but when you look at it objectively we have basically been spanking them for 100 years. Granted though a lot of our finals victories over them in the last 50 years we have won from the position of underdog.
Rubbish.

Very good argument Footy Geek.

The 1973 grand final has to be Carlton's worst loss of all-time on various grounds, so Richmond should be in Carlton's sights every time they play them.
Can't quite agree about the finals bit. Definitely finals set the basic story but the home and away battles reinforce the mythology of it all. If the home and away matches meant nothing fan and media interest would drift away (IMO)

Carlton's worst finals loss (in my opinion) was the 1973 grand final to Richmond.

1986 g/f - up against the power team Hawthorn and revenge was enacted in 1987.

1993 g/f - that was bad, and for me more painful than the 1973 g/f, but if I take the personal equation out of it the 1973 g/final was more painful for Carlton as a club.

1973 Carlton got walloped on the scoreboard, but more importantly what happened to Geoff Southby in that match was unforgiveable. Seeing Mil Hanna ironed out in 1993 was nearly as bad, but 1973 also had Kevin Sheedy IN the grand final, not just watching from the stands.

In many ways Collingwood is the biggest rival, they have more victories against us than any other team, they have humiliated Carlton in recent years etc, and in some ways Richmond is the biggest rival and in some ways Essendon...I find it difficult to split them. They are all bitter rivals in some way or another..

Who would I most like Carlton to beat this year though? Without a doubt - Hawthorn and with Luke Hodge playing please.

The thing is that when we got pinged for our big cheat... we cleared house.

Essendon* got pinged again... and once again they did **** all...a few people quit because they wanted to get the **** out of dodge before the axe came down. They have done bugger all to clear house to show that they wont cheat again.

Beat me to it D! ;)

I agree that we can't be too smug on the issue of cheating, but the way the two clubs - and their respective supporters - responded when caught out is worlds apart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood. I ******* hate Essendon, indeed I despise everything about them from top to bottom. However, that doesn't go close to describing the intense hatred I hold for the Magpies.

It was once close between the two. That was until a Collingwood supporting scumbag decided it would be appropriate to spit in my face a couple of years back after a Carlton victory.

I don't hate Richmond. No, hate isn't the right word. 'Pity' would be a lot closer to the mark.
On behalf of every pies supporter with a shred of dignity and self respect I would like to apologise for that.
As much as I hate your scumbag team, nobody deserves to be degraded in such a way for simply following a footy team :oops:

On behalf of every pies supporter with a shred of dignity and self respect I would like to apologise for that.
As much as I hate your scumbag team, nobody deserves to be degraded in such a way for simply following a footy team :oops:

No need to apologize.

It certainly wasn't pretty viewing. Never knew I wasn't able to sing the song post-game into the phone, with my sister, a Carlton supporter who couldn't be there, on the other end of the line.

Fair to say the idiots moved away as quickly as they could for fear of any retaliation. Absolute cowards.

Wouldn't be the first people to object to my voice, mind you.

after 2012 things looked promising and the hope we could meet in a final again, let alone a grand final, and kill off those demons that haunt us who lived thru the 70's-80's. stars havent aligned for nearly 3 decades amazingly.

there was a similar discussion on our board after 2012 where a few expressed their ability to die happy should we finally bet da blooz in a GF.

its unfinished business.

after 2012 things looked promising and the hope we could meet in a final again, let alone a grand final, and kill off those demons that haunt us who lived thru the 70's-80's. stars havent aligned for nearly 3 decades amazingly.

there was a similar discussion on our board after 2012 where a few expressed their ability to die happy should we finally bet da blooz in a GF.

its unfinished business.

Forget the 70's & 80's, try again - 1910! :D

As a Perthite I do love when we smash the Eagles. Especially when we do it here.

I can't recall how the Weagles fans felt about us before 2007 but Juddy coming over has inspired a staggering amount of hatred and vitriol from their fans. Exhibit A: My Facebook newsfeed whenever we have a win:D

Remove this Banner Ad

Which club is Carlton's biggest rival?

Back