Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Which club is closer to a flag - Carlton or Essendon?

• Carlton

Votes: 169 49.7%
  • Essendon

Votes: 75 22.1%
  • Neither in next 10 ywars

Votes: 96 28.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Granted Its hard to get worried when a team is trying to beat you by kicking points……..

+20 inside 50’s and losing is almost never heard of.
Carlton managed this type of result on a few occasions over the last couple of years...

Granted Its hard to get worried when a team is trying to beat you by kicking points……..

+20 inside 50’s and losing is almost never heard of.
Round 7. Carlton vs Geelong. Blues win inside 50 count 66-45. Lose by 13 points.

Round 9. Carlton vs Melbourne. Dees win the inside 50 count 61-41. Lose by 1 point.

It's the third time it's happened in a Carlton game in just the past six weeks.

Just because your coach said it's unheard of doesn't make it true.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last edited:

Round 7. Carlton vs Geelong. Blues win inside 50 count 66-45. Lose by 13 points.

Round 9. Carlton vs Melbourne. Dees win the inside 50 count 61-41. Lose by 1 point.

It's the third time it's happened in a Carlton game in just the past six weeks.

Just because your coach said it's unheard of doesn't make it true.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

i mean that's great but i also said ALMOST never heard of. if you look across the entire AFL, it's quite an uncommon statistic.

Last edited:
Carlton managed this type of result on a few occasions over the last couple of years...

yes, it happens but it's quite uncommon across all AFL games ergo i used the word "almost"

yes, it happens but it's quite uncommon across all AFL games ergo i used the word "almost"
'almost unheard of' means it happens very rarely, with the last one a long time ago.

Eg when North hadn't beaten anyone, people were saying not winning in a whole season is almost unheard of. Hasn't happened since the 1960s.

Winning a game despite a large negative i50s differential is not 'almost unheard of'. Just looking at half a season, for the games involving one team, we've already found 3 examples.

'almost unheard of' means it happens very rarely, with the last one a long time ago.

Eg when North hadn't beaten anyone, people were saying not winning in a whole season is almost unheard of. Hasn't happened since the 1960s.

Winning a game despite a large negative i50s differential is not 'almost unheard of'. Just looking at half a season, for the games involving one team, we've already found 3 examples.

I was quite specific to +20, not just a large differential.

It may have happened to Carlton a few times in the last month but if you look across the ~114 games played to date this year, i think you will find its actually quite rare to have +20 Inside 50's and lose. it is more than 10% id be surprised.

I am happy to be proven wrong if i am.

I was quite specific to +20.

It may have happened to Carlton a few times in the last month but if you look across the ~114 games played to date this year, i think you will find its actually quite rare to have +20 Inside 50's and lose.

I am happy to be proven wrong if i am.
you've already been proven wrong from a small sample.

you've already been proven wrong from a small sample.

so how many out of 114 games? Would it be more than 10%? IE ~12 games where that stat has happened? I'd be very surprised if that was the case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so how many out of 114 games? Would it be more than 10%? IE 14 games where that stat has happened?
You can check yourself, but when it's already happened 3 times in half a season for one team, it's not "almost unheard of".

Put it this way, out of all 18 teams, there have been 4 players who have been suspended for more than 3 weeks...across all games in 2024.

Applying your logic, you'd say a suspension of more than 3 weeks is 'almost unheard of' in AFL.

The game was never even close, dunno what Essendon fans are discussing here. One of our most comfortable wins of the season regardless of what the inside 50s were.

just pointing out a rare stat is a rare stat.

Its not to say we should have won or anything like that

You can check yourself, but when it's already happened 3 times in half a season for one team, it's not "almost unheard of".

Put it this way, out of all 18 teams, there have been 4 players who have been suspended for more than 3 weeks...across all games in 2024.

Applying your logic, you'd say a suspension of more than 3 weeks is 'almost unheard of' in AFL.

I'd say that's fair enough in context.

just pointing out a rare stat is a rare stat.

Its not to say we should have won or anything like that
Rare? Every 2nd Melbourne loss for the last 5 years has been similar.

U guys were just long bombing it over and over again to our talls without ever really looking dangerous. Jones Wright Stringer and Langford didn't get going at any point in the game due to how poor the entries were.

Probably why there were so many easy rushed behinds too

A player getting 10+ weeks is 'almost unheard of'.

Stats that occur multiple times every season are not 'almost unheard of'.

At this point - Either you're trolling or an idiot.

i said you were being fair enough...........

wtf is your problem? relax guy

Rare? Every 2nd Melbourne loss for the last 5 years has been similar.

U guys were just long bombing it over and over again to our talls without ever really looking dangerous. Jones Wright Stringer and Langford didn't get going at any point in the game due to how poor the entries were.

Probably why there were so many easy rushed behinds too

I'm pretty sure put of 114 games played this year that stats might show up maybe 10% of the time. if that

Anyways you aren't wrong our entries were pretty poor and Wright and Langford havent been able to get it going for a while now.

Our Fwdline is a pretty big issue. Alarm bells were ringing loudly when we won't barely beat West Coast Richmond and North.

I'm pretty sure put of 114 games played this year that stats might show up maybe 10% of the time. if that

Anyways you aren't wrong our entries were pretty poor and Wright and Langford havent been able to get it going for a while now.

Our Fwdline is a pretty big issue. Alarm bells were ringing loudly when we won't barely beat West Coast Richmond and North.
You guys are sadly ahead of schedule. Would be shocked if you missed the 8.

You guys are sadly ahead of schedule. Would be shocked if you missed the 8.

I reckon 6th to 10th. Either way better than what most people pegged us for.

We are 2-3 years away from contenting, just have too many holes in the list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Back