Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Which club is closer to a flag - Carlton or Essendon?

• Carlton

Votes: 169 49.7%
  • Essendon

Votes: 75 22.1%
  • Neither in next 10 ywars

Votes: 96 28.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hinkley is also coaching a side that doesn't have many high draft picks, compared to Voss who is coaching a side with several high draft picks.

We had 1 more 1st round draft pick on the field on Thursday night.

You're really struggling now.

I've said this elsewhere, but Richmond people will point to their win over Port in SA in 2017 as their season defining win where they knew the Tigers were legitimate premiership contenders.

Do you think it could be the same with Carlton, where Carlton people will point to their win over Port in SA in 2024 as their season defining win where they knew the Blues were legitimate premiership contenders?
Kinda hard this season to think of anyone besides Sydney as a legit premiership contender, they're that far ahead of the pack. But in general I think its more how we back up over the next month. Essendon and Geelong, should start favourites in those but both will be tough and we'll still need to get a job done, then a game we should win by plenty if we're serious vs Richmond.

They win all 3 of those and I think we could be considered a legit GF contender at least.

Kinda hard this season to think of anyone besides Sydney as a legit premiership contender, they're that far ahead of the pack. But in general I think its more how we back up over the next month. Essendon and Geelong, should start favourites in those but both will be tough and we'll still need to get a job done, then a game we should win by plenty if we're serious vs Richmond.

They win all 3 of those and I think we could be considered a legit GF contender at least.
I thought Richmond were pretenders in 2017 until they beat us in the finals, but Carlton should be beating us this year if they're serious.

Hinkley is also coaching a side that doesn't have many high draft picks, compared to Voss who is coaching a side with several high draft picks.

From Thursday nights game:

Carlton had 8x 1st round picks playing - Weitering, Kemp, O Hollands, Cripps, McKay, E Hollands, Curnow, Walsh, Kennedy.

Port had 11x 1st round picks playing - Burton, Bergman, Marshall, Dixon, Butters, Rozee, JHF, Jones, Boak, Wines, Georgiadies.

Keep making shit up though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Carlton were pretty ordinary tonight. But still a 4 goal better side.

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app
score line certainly indicates that Carlton are ahead. Positive for Essendon was that we were around the same, if not better in a large number of key indicators. We simply could not convert.

score line certainly indicates that Carlton are ahead. Positive for Essendon was that we were around the same, if not better in a large number of key indicators. We simply could not convert.

The stats say that but it’s not really the way I saw it, personally.

A lot of your i50’s were shallow or chaotic entries, whilst a lot of your misses were from low-percentage spots, a fair few rushed too. But also missed some sitters.

Bombers are on the right track, still think they need a fair few more A-graders to round out the rebuild. Brad Scott loves topping up and making his team perennial semi & prelim-finalists though, that’s my main concern.

They’ll 100% play finals this year.

A lot of your i50’s were shallow or chaotic entries, whilst a lot of your misses were from low-percentage spots, a fair few rushed too. But also missed some sitters.

Bombers are on the right track, still think they need a fair few more A-graders to round out the rebuild. Brad Scott loves topping up and making his team perennial semi & prelim-finalists though, that’s my main concern.

Essendon tried hard last night but you could see they lacked polish.
They need an injection of elite talent via the draft, but they won't get it this year after they finish mid table again.

I have a feeling we'll win by 3-4 goals, as I've mentioned in the preview thread on our board.
Sarcastic Willy Wonka GIF

Let's put it this way.

I was pretty relaxed and not worried most of the game. That is rare as a Carlton supporter.

We lost to a side loaded with academy players and coming off a bye, while playing on their home deck.
I'm not concerned and I'd be confident of beating them in September at the MCG.

Team that is coming off a bye generally loses, hence the slow start by the swans.

SCG or not, Cats threw absolutely everything at them. They absorbed it all then completely outplayed you.

Swans are a much better side than the Cats.

Geelong basically had a blistering start off a soft draw and haven’t fired a shot since. The only decent team they’ve beaten is Carlton who were severely undermanned.

Let's put it this way.

I was pretty relaxed and not worried most of the game. That is rare as a Carlton supporter.

Granted Its hard to get worried when a team is trying to beat you by kicking points……..

+20 inside 50’s and losing is almost never heard of.

Remove this Banner Ad

Which side is closer to a premiership - Carlton or Essendon?

Back