Who do we target in this years draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

If available I would still go for one of the two SA ruckmen. That will mean that next year we wil have up to 3 playing as first rucks in the SANFL. One of them will come good.
Sure the rules have changed but the ruckmen are not getting smaller and we will still need a genuine one plus a couple of part timers as a minimum.

Do we need a midfielder? Sure do but they are easier to come by (the pick 16 types) and we will not be flag material for a couple of year to come. We are in a position to have a few good ruck prospects on our list just like in the early days and those early days have carried us for one and a half decades.

*PAF said:
That will mean that next year we wil have up to 3 playing as first rucks in the SANFL. One of them will come good.

You are aware that if we take a ruckman it means we have to bypass a player who plays another position, right? There's not just unlimited list spots, and we have more pressing needs.

To fill out a best 22, you need 2 ruckmen AT MOST and could get by with one with the new sub rule and the multiple players we have who can rotate through. You need about 8 or 9 players who can go through the midfield. The make-up of our list should reflect that.

where have you been? i have been saying for years he will never make it as a AFL ruckman not matter what his weight is.
If and i say if we draft Scott Lycett then i believe Lobbe will be walking the Green Mile because Lycett will fly past him and with the new rules Tyrannosaurus Lobbe will be extinct.
His ruck work is not good enough to keep him in the side because he gives jack all around the ground.
The good old days ruckman used to do just that...ruck and that was it,those days are over ,plus even if he did lose the weight hes still not good enough to hold down a KP.
To me hes not the answer, at best he could turn out a back up but that's about it.
First round draft pick? again no way
The only thing that has saved face for our recruiters is there was not much drafted after him .....lucky for them.
My guess is that from Perth you have seen F/ALL of either Lobbe or Lycett. Lobbes has improved every year and if it was not for some hammy issues would have played a lot more this year. Dont think we will draft Lycett with our first pick and if we did he is 3yrs off playing AFL.:eek::eek::eek:

My guess is that from Perth you have seen F/ALL of either Lobbe or Lycett. Lobbes has improved every year and if it was not for some hammy issues would have played a lot more this year. Dont think we will draft Lycett with our first pick and if we did he is 3yrs off playing AFL.:eek::eek::eek:
Guess again:thumbsu:
I'm not a 100% for drafting him myself as i think we have enough rucks (read above Gopower)
But by some change we do draft him someone will be going and if you lived in Timbuktu you could work that out....well some could.

It has to be best midfielder at 16 and 35, best tall forward at 36, best available player, whoever he is, at 52

Take the best mature ruckman, no older than 25 and with genuine size, from a secondary league as one of our rookie picks.

It has to be best midfielder at 16 and 35, best tall forward at 36, best available player, whoever he is, at 52

Take the best mature ruckman, no older than 25 and with genuine size, from a secondary league as one of our rookie picks.

sounds fair

Guess again:thumbsu:
I'm not a 100% for drafting him myself as i think we have enough rucks (read above Gopower)
But by some change we do draft him someone will be going and if you lived in Timbuktu you could work that out....well some could.
I would have thought that Lobbes was a long way ahead of both Bass and Reddo, but that is just one persons thoughts from Timbuktu.

Thanks Ford. That link had a link to Emma's annual list of her personal rankings for the top 25 of the class of 2010 — not where she thinks players will be picked. Although she suggests a range for each player. Below is her list but at the link she has a few lines about each player which I have left out.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-golden-boys-20101113-17s03.html

1. DAVID SWALLOW
(Gold Coast/East Fremantle, 185cm, 86kg)
Where will he be picked?
No. 1 by Gold Coast.

2. SAM DAY
(Sturt, 18, 196cm, 97kg)
Where will he be picked?
No. 2 or No. 3 by Gold Coast.

3. HARLEY BENNELL
(Peel Thunder, 18, 185cm, 75kg)
Where will he be picked?
No. 2 or No. 3 by Gold Coast.

4. SHAUN ATLEY
(Murray Bushrangers, 18, 189cm, 81kg)
Where will he be picked?
Big chance for Essendon at No. 8. Furthest he could get is probably Port Adelaide at No. 16.

5. DYSON HEPPELL
(Gippsland Power, 18, 189cm, 80kg)

Where will he be picked?
Probably by the Brisbane Lions at No. 5. Unlikely to get past Richmond if he's there at 6.

6. TOM LYNCH
(Dandenong Stingrays, 17, 199cm, 91kg)
Where will he be picked?
A chance for the Gold Coast from picks 9-11. Melbourne would find it hard to pass him up at No. 12.

7. ANDREW GAFF
(Oakleigh Chargers, 18, 182cm, 78kg)
Where will he be picked?
Looks headed for West Coast at No. 4.

8. DANIEL GORRINGE
(Norwood, 18, 200cm, 88kg)
Where will he be picked?
Maybe by the Gold Coast at No. 9, No. 10 or No. 11. A chance for Melbourne at No. 12 and Adelaide at No. 14. Essendon will consider him too.

9. JARED POLEC
(Woodville-West Torrens, 18, 189cm, 80kg)
Where will he be picked?
Probably by Richmond at No. 6. A chance for Essendon at No. 8 and also in the Gold Coast mix for No. 9, No. 10 or No. 11.

10. BILLIE SMEDTS
(Geelong Falcons, 18, 190cm, 76kg)
Where will he be picked?
A chance for Geelong at No. 15 and Sydney at No. 21. Shouldn't get much further than that.

11. JOSH CADDY
(Northern Knights, 18, 186cm, 82kg)
Where will he be picked?
Looks headed to Gold Coast at No. 7. If not, Essendon will grab him at No. 8.

12. SEB TAPE
(Glenelg, 18, 191cm, 81cm)
Where will he be picked?
Tape is hard to pick. Several clubs have him in their mix. He could go to Gold Coast early and, if not, either of the South Australian clubs look his likely home, Adelaide especially. Furthest he could get is probably Sydney at 21.

13. JAYDEN PITT
(Geelong Falcons, 18, 189cm, 70kg)
Where will he be picked?
Has Gold Coast written all over him at 9, 10, 11 or — probably — 13.

14. SCOTT LYCETT
(Port Adelaide Magpies, 18, 202cm, 98kg)
Where will he be picked?
Possibly by the Gold Coast at No. 9, No. 10 or No. 11. A chance for Melbourne at 12. Hard to see him getting past Port Adelaide at No. 16.

15. JED LAMB
(Gippsland Power, 18, 181cm, 79kg)
Where will he be picked?
A chance to go in the late teens, to North Melbourne or Hawthorn. Beyond there, could be considered by Sydney at No. 21 or St Kilda at No. 24.

16. ISAAC SMITH
(North Ballarat, 21, 187cm, 77kg)
Where will he be picked?
Big chance for Geelong at No. 15. Gold Coast or Adelaide may even take a look before then. If not, it's hard to see North Melbourne overlooking him at No. 17.

17. DION PRESTIA
(Calder Cannons, 18, 174cm, 82kg)
Where will he be picked?
In the mix for Essendon, Gold Coast and Melbourne early on. Could slide, but only as far as St Kilda.

18. BRODIE SMITH
(Woodville-West Torrens, 18, 189cm, 78kg)
Where will he be picked?
A chance for Melbourne at No. 12 or Adelaide at No. 14. Port would find him hard to pass up at No. 16. Could well slide to the mid-20s.

19. MITCH WALLIS
(Calder Cannons, 17, 185cm, 80kg)
Headed to the Western Bulldogs as a father-son pick.Where will he be picked?
Already has been: the Bulldogs pledged to use pick No. 24 on him during father-son bidding.

20. PAT McCARTHY
(Glenelg, 18, 196cm, 85kg)
Where will he be picked?
Has a real Carlton look about him and is a chance for the Blues at No. 18. Hawthorn at No. 19 will also take a look, but may reach Geelong at No. 23.

21. JACK DARLING
(West Perth, 18, 191cm, 87kg)
Where will he be picked?
Won't go to Gold Coast, which will nudge him down the order. Could go to Melbourne at No. 12 or Carlton at No. 18, but could even get to the mid-20s. Hard to predict.

22. MATTHEW WATSON
(Calder Cannons, 18, 195cm, 102kg)
Where will he be picked?
Carlton is a strong chance at No. 18. Gold Coast a possibility before then, and Melbourne may also take a look. If not, should be gone in the 20s.

23. REECE CONCA
(Perth, 18, 185cm, 79kg)
Where will he be picked?
High. He's been talked about as a chance for Richmond at No. 6, and will possibly head to the Gold Coast at No. 9, No. 10, No. 11 or No. 13.

24. BEN JACOBS
(Sandringham Dragons, 18, 186cm, 82kg)
Where will he be picked?
Might be looked at by Adelaide at No. 14, or Melbourne before then, but could well be the midfielder who slips a bit and gets picked up in the mid to late 20s.

25. LUKE PARKER
(Dandenong Stingrays, 18, 183cm, 81kg)
Where will he be picked?
A chance for Port Adelaide at 16, as is Dandenong teammate Hallahan. Beyond there should be gone by the mid 20s, with Brisbane and possibly St Kilda keen.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/the-golden-boys-20101113-17s03.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are aware that if we take a ruckman it means we have to bypass a player who plays another position, right? There's not just unlimited list spots, and we have more pressing needs.
Doubt there'd be anyone who wouldn't know that. ;)

To fill out a best 22, you need 2 ruckmen AT MOST and could get by with one with the new sub rule and the multiple players we have who can rotate through. You need about 8 or 9 players who can go through the midfield. The make-up of our list should reflect that.
We are not talking one of the top 5 midielders of the 2010 draft here.
Nope, not even a top 10 of the 2010 draft.

Yes I did say that we may end up with three rucks running around in the SANFL just like we did when we had Primus, Lade, French, Brogan, and Ackland.
Had we narrowed it down to 3 at the time, chances are it would have been Primus, French and one of Lade/Ackland.

EDIT: Not long after that we will go back to only having two in the SANFL as Brogan will probably retire after the 2011 or 2012 season.

Every year phantom drafts put the SA players with the SA clubs and it rarely works out that way.

Too true, also Geelong boys ending up at geelong??

Why is everyone bagging Lobbe? Chocco said from the start =that he was a project ruckman, now lets hope primus has the same patience

i hope that we dont got lycett and 16 how many ruckman do we have on our list as it is?

Brogan,Lobbe,Bass, (d stewart can ruck), the hoff can ruck ( but he is shocking), butcher can ruck and C cornes can also pinch hit? i think we have enough ruck stock for now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do we target in this years draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back