Who do we target in this years draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Just out of interest, why did we turn Lobbe into a ruckman?

I guess Giles, Minson and Deluca not making it had a bit to do with it. Plus Lobbe seemed to be playing better in ruck at SANFL level.

It will be interesting with the new rules to see whether we try and turn him back into a forward/ruck.

So Lycett is ok to pick at 16 becasue he can go forward yet Lobbe was a massive mistake?

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6038/Default.aspx?newsId=53739

Selection 16 - MATTHEW LOBBE (PROFILE)

Position: Tall forward
Born: February 12 1989
Height: 199.1cm
Weight: 84.2kg

Bio: Mobile and agile forward who is strong overhead and at ground level. Good kick for goal and works hard for his team. Vic Metro U18 representative. Originally from Monbulk FC.

http://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/6038/Default.aspx?newsId=53739
Lobbe is a outdated Dinosaur,does nothing around the ground,get over it.

Just out of interest, why did we turn Lobbe into a ruckman?
He was a junior ruckman whose growth stalled, so he got played in key position a bit. Then he grew again to genuine ruck height.

Lobbe is a outdated Dinosaur,does nothing around the ground,get over it.

When he was drafted he was a mobile KPP. It is always easy in hindsight.

FWIW Lobbe is no dinosaur anyway. In 2009 he was a super mobile possession winning ruck for Westies. I will bet my bottom dollar you never saw any of it. He focused on stacking on weight in 2010 which slowed him down. Now that he has that weight he can focus in regaining his mobility and run, I still think he will come good and be a mobile ruck/forward.

FWIW Lobbe is no dinosaur anyway. In 2009 he was a super mobile possession winning ruck for Westies. I will bet my bottom dollar you never saw any of it. He focused on stacking on weight in 2010 which slowed him down. Now that he has that weight he can focus in regaining his mobility and run, I still think he will come good and be a mobile ruck/forward.

This is the part of his game I question.

He doesn't get enough of the pill!!!!!!

are you all talking about the 20 year old Lobbe that has played three games of AFL? under choco who would have not instructed him to 'drift forward and take a few shots' in one of those three games? i can't see how he doesn't get enough of the ball if he hasn't played the games yet.

who instigated his move to west? was it someone still around with big wraps for him? i hope he has a good relationship with primus and he has a huge year.

Nothing to do with hindsight, i never liked the choice from day one, i see him as a ruckman from the good old days..i just don't see him fitting into the modern game, to one dimensional for me.
But as always we will see in time,i have plenty of that:thumbsu:

Kevin Sheehan has listed his top 30. Off the top of my head, there's no Patrick McCarthy or Isaac Smith. Be handy if a couple of those fell our way in the second round. :)

Sheehan names his top 30

Kevin Sheehan has listed his top 30. Off the top of my head, there's no Patrick McCarthy or Isaac Smith. Be handy if a couple of those fell our way in the second round. :)

Sheehan names his top 30

add cam guthrie (mid) ,pat karnezis (flanker) and luke mitchell (kf) to that list.

i like that as a top 35 and think it shows we can get talent with picks 34/35.
if we dont get lycett at 16 could always go for mitchell with pick 34? and if mccarthy and smith go higher as expected, and someone surprises with an unknown or by taking someone unexpectedly early then some other names like cripps, prestia, hallahan, horlin-smith or tape could slide to us.

a combination of lycett, with two of the above (mids) or, best available mid at 16, with mitchell and mid at 34/35.

are you all talking about the 20 year old Lobbe that has played three games of AFL? under choco who would have not instructed him to 'drift forward and take a few shots' in one of those three games? i can't see how he doesn't get enough of the ball if he hasn't played the games yet.

who instigated his move to west? was it someone still around with big wraps for him? i hope he has a good relationship with primus and he has a huge year.

He doesn't get enough in the SANFL either. Hopefully this year will be his breakout.

add cam guthrie (mid) ,pat karnezis (flanker) and luke mitchell (kf) to that list.

i like that as a top 35 and think it shows we can get talent with picks 34/35.
if we dont get lycett at 16 could always go for mitchell with pick 34? and if mccarthy and smith go higher as expected, and someone surprises with an unknown or by taking someone unexpectedly early then some other names like cripps, prestia, hallahan, horlin-smith or tape could slide to us.

a combination of lycett, with two of the above (mids) or, best available mid at 16, with mitchell and mid at 34/35.

I think he says this every year, but Sheehan was on AA the other day and said he rated up to 50 players in this draft he thinks can forge successful AFL careers. He is confident Port will get two quality players at 35 and 36.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nothing to do with hindsight, i never liked the choice from day one, i see him as a ruckman from the good old days..i just don't see him fitting into the modern game, to one dimensional for me.
But as always we will see in time,i have plenty of that:thumbsu:

Ha.

So when he was drafted as a mobile KPF running up and down the field you said he was a slow dinosoar ruckman from the good old days?

Show me a quote please.

I hope we aren't bashing our own players for sport because then it will be a long preseason. Anyway, Lobbe only improved when he put size on. That is the case with all our young players. If you look at Collingwood their team still has a lot of size about them.

Lobbe is also one of the clubs best endurance athletes. When he played for Westies his feature was his exceptionally high tackle count. He averaged as much as their midfielders and finishedpretty high in their best and fairest in a short time.

Our team can't wait till he is ready for action because he is no slouch when it comes to second efforts and tackling.

I endorse this concept and its related candor.

What programs did we have him on this year? From memory he was eating six meals a day as part of the masterplan to add some much-needed bulk to his already highly-evolved aerobic capacity. As a result he slowed down and developed some hamstring issues as his frame and gait struggled with the extra kilos, resulting in underwhelming performances and stuttering form overall.

Give him another full uninterrupted preseason or two for him to further develop and adapt to his frame and we'll have the very real prospect of a deliciously weird Dean Cox (huge tank)/Ben Hudson (combative, contested post-ballup footy) hybrid on our hands, blowing concerns about his lack of work around the ground out of the water.

I hope we aren't bashing our own players for sport because then it will be a long preseason. Anyway, Lobbe only improved when he put size on. That is the case with all our young players. If you look at Collingwood their team still has a lot of size about them.

Lobbe is also one of the clubs best endurance athletes. When he played for Westies his feature was his exceptionally high tackle count. He averaged as much as their midfielders and finishedpretty high in their best and fairest in a short time.

Our team can't wait till he is ready for action because he is no slouch when it comes to second efforts and tackling.

I'm sure he is no mug. I'm sure 2011 will be another jump up for him. Im sure he wouldn't want to ave 3 disposals a game at AFL and a little better in SANFL.

AllI am saying is I want him to get more ball, but by no means am I thinking he's a delistable dud, it's way too early to judge the big fella like that. The bench rule hurts him though

Re: Port's drafting in recent years

It's a non-negotiable this year for us to draft two pure, centre-square midfielders with pick 16 and one of our next two picks.

We obviously decided that pursuing Jacobs with a second and third round pick was not worthwhile - that indicates to me that we won't jump at using pick 16 on a ruckman.

I agree with PJ power - first pick must be an inside mid and one of picks 2 or 3 as well.

My choices for first pick:

Josh Caddy (18, medium midfielder, Northern Knights)

Height: 186cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 28/09/1992
Recruited from: Northern Knights
Style: Michael Voss/ Ben Cunnington

or

Luke Parker (18, medium midfielder, Dandenong Stingrays)

Height: 183cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 25/10/1992
Recruited from: Dandenong Stingrays
Style: Marc Murphy

For our second or third round choose from best available of:

Dion Prestia (VIC)
Height: 175cm, Weight: 82kg, DOB: 12/10/1992
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Style: David Rodan

Alex Fasolo (WA)
Height: 182cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 08/06/92
Recruited from: East Fremantle
Style: Marc Murphy

Cameron Guthrie (VIC)
Height: 186cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 19/08/1992
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Style: Ryan Crowley

I don't know if anyone has seen this:

Draft countdown - Port Adelaide
The article was from the Herald Sun and I like the honesty e.g. ".......Midfield class and run is also a must. Port is too blue collar in this area.........."
Draft countdown - Port Adelaide

BTW congrats on the effort being put in by posters here. Some clearly have an amazing knowledge of what is out there.

Emma Quayle has listed her top 25 - this is where she ranks them, not where she think they will be drafted, but also comments on likely homes for the players.

It seems you could throw a blanket over a big group of players, so there is a bit of a bob each way on the 'where they could be drafted' list - but the players Quayle links specifically to Port are:

Shaun Atley (seems to think he could slide, rates him #4 on her list)
Seb Tape (EQ 12)
Scott Lycett (EQ 14)
Brodie Smith (EQ 18)
Luke Parker (EQ 25)
Mitch Hallahan (not in EQ's 25)

The golden boys

I'm sure he is no mug. I'm sure 2011 will be another jump up for him. Im sure he wouldn't want to ave 3 disposals a game at AFL and a little better in SANFL.

AllI am saying is I want him to get more ball, but by no means am I thinking he's a delistable dud, it's way too early to judge the big fella like that. The bench rule hurts him though

I am saying that you don't watch him because your comments are inconsistent with his areas that he needs to work on. When he was sent to Westies he was not your usual tap Ruckmen. He linked up in hte play, tackled and blocked. His possesion count was way better than 3 a game and he layed as many as 6 tackles a game.

He finished in their top five in their best and fairest even though he played 3 quarters of season with them. If you want to know more about him ask Westies supporters. He is essentially an extra mid because he has the aerobic capacity of our best runners. He is not slow and he is quite agile for his size. He is a tall and they take longer to come up.

I endorse this concept and its related candor.

What programs did we have him on this year? From memory he was eating six meals a day as part of the masterplan to add some much-needed bulk to his already highly-evolved aerobic capacity. As a result he slowed down and developed some hamstring issues as his frame and gait struggled with the extra kilos, resulting in underwhelming performances and stuttering form overall.

Give him another full uninterrupted preseason or two for him to further develop and adapt to his frame and we'll have the very real prospect of a deliciously weird Dean Cox (huge tank)/Ben Hudson (combative, contested post-ballup footy) hybrid on our hands, blowing concerns about his lack of work around the ground out of the water.

His size development occured a couple of years ago when Falloon arrived because he was a twig and that was when he had his good year. Getting a hamstring injury because a guy is too bulky to hold his own body weight is not the reason for this type of injury. It is usually muscle imbalance, (a relatively weak hamstring or tight hamstring that strains or tears during as your leg extends backwards during running) often caused by a lot of running, weak core strength and a lack of muscle balance.

Ha.

So when he was drafted as a mobile KPF running up and down the field you said he was a slow dinosoar ruckman from the good old days?

Show me a quote please.
where have you been? i have been saying for years he will never make it as a AFL ruckman not matter what his weight is.
If and i say if we draft Scott Lycett then i believe Lobbe will be walking the Green Mile because Lycett will fly past him and with the new rules Tyrannosaurus Lobbe will be extinct.
His ruck work is not good enough to keep him in the side because he gives jack all around the ground.
The good old days ruckman used to do just that...ruck and that was it,those days are over ,plus even if he did lose the weight hes still not good enough to hold down a KP.
To me hes not the answer, at best he could turn out a back up but that's about it.
First round draft pick? again no way
The only thing that has saved face for our recruiters is there was not much drafted after him .....lucky for them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Who do we target in this years draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back